Quantcast

hobbies/money pits other than biking?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Agreed. I have a Harmony too. It's stupid simple to setup.
My wife said "I want one remote and I only want to push one button..." Once I set it up, it was perfect. Took a whole 5 minutes to run through the software and set up my configurations and BAM.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
This is my first major home speaker purchase and they were like $400 a pair ($1100 retail?) so I got 2 pair. Considering what I spent, they sound awesome.

I'm not much of a brand whore, but Polk and Infinity were what a lot of the high end car stereos we built to compete with. Never ran the subs in show systems, but the mids and highs always got amazing scores. Of course I'm old and this was 88-91 when I was heavy into IASCA.

Polk was always awesome to deal with and came through for us more than once. So I don't mind giving them my cash, especially when it's on sale!
for the money Polk and Infinity are good for the money. especially with some of the deals you can get on the internets.
working in the home a/v biz for years, i became a audio and videophile. and with that comes spending stupid money on everything.
thankfully the EP deals are amazing usually

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
working in the home a/v biz for years, i became a audio and videophile. and with that comes spending stupid money on everything.
thankfully the EP deals are amazing usually
That's my issue with car audio. I was spoiled at an early age and bad bass is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my brother has the 900.
I think that's the one Arkayne has (the big cube). The 720 does everything I need and was only like $40 on ebay. I've had it 2 years now without issue.

t> Oh damn, the 900 looks nice. Must be the 1000 or something that he has.

1000:

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think that's the one Arkayne has (the big cube). The 720 does everything I need and was only like $40 on ebay. I've had it 2 years now without issue.

I have the 880 that I got on special from Amazon for $100 over a year ago and it is still running solid. I would go buy another one in a heartbeat if something happened to it.

Sigh....if only:

http://www.savantav.com/

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Damn, and I felt like I splurged. :rofl:

Mine was a refurbished unit from Logitech's ebay store. It's the fanciest remote I've ever owned. The up volume is starting to get mashed, so I might need to look for an upgrade.
The Logitech is awesome, but there is always better. From what I understand the Savant can do anything you want from lighting, to AV, to starting your Jacuzzi. That would be awesome to a) have a jacuzzi and b) be able to control it from your phone.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Logitech is awesome, but there is always better. From what I understand the Savant can do anything you want from lighting, to AV, to starting your Jacuzzi. That would be awesome to a) have a jacuzzi and b) be able to control it from your phone.
Back in the day, my brother modified a Clifford car alarm to control 24 separate functions using a 2 button remote. It was a VW Big in Santa Cruz and people went crazy.

Of course now you expect alarms to pop the hatch, lock/unlock doors, remote start, blah, blah, blah. But back then, the idea of controlling not only all the functions of your car, but also open your garage door with a single remote was crazy.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Back in the day, my brother modified a Clifford car alarm to control 24 separate functions using a 2 button remote. It was a VW Big in Santa Cruz and people went crazy.

Of course now you expect alarms to pop the hatch, lock/unlock doors, remote start, blah, blah, blah. But back then, the idea of controlling not only all the functions of your car, but also open your garage door with a single remote was crazy.
I'd expect in another 10 years or so, something like the Savant (maybe not as fancy, well they will stay fancier than the norm, I guess), will be standard fare.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have the 880 that I got on special from Amazon for $100 over a year ago and it is still running solid. I would go buy another one in a heartbeat if something happened to it.

Sigh....if only:

http://www.savantav.com/
i have the 880 and 890 and before the came out with the updated version, the biggest problem was that they didnt charge on the base unless you magically placed it on there.

Control 4 will get my biz when i upgrade again
http://www.control4.com/

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i have the 880 and 890 and before the came out with the updated version, the biggest problem was that they didnt charge on the base unless you magically placed it on there.
That was a design flaw that they fixed in later model 880s. I owned an 880 that I got for $30 on a pricing error from Dell (otherwise, I'd never have bought it). I loved it, but the base was pretty fiddly. I called and they said they'd it was a known issue, they had a new design, and they'd replace it if I sent in the old one - but I never bothered because it worked okay.

It was stolen in a burglary and I replaced it with another 880. This one has a magnet in one of the contact points and snaps right in, charges no problem every time.

I really like the remote. I really don't think I'd spend $130 on it. But I like it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That was a design flaw that they fixed in later model 880s. I owned an 880 that I got for $30 on a pricing error from Dell (otherwise, I'd never have bought it). I loved it, but the base was pretty fiddly. I called and they said they'd it was a known issue, they had a new design, and they'd replace it if I sent in the old one - but I never bothered because it worked okay.
i know it was. they sent me a brand new remote and base at n/c because mine would not charge because of the base. they didnt even ask for the old one back.
the base contact points are different as well. there are only 2 contact points, instead of 3 from the original design.

i wouldnt pay $130 for it either, but i got both the 880 and 890 for free

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My 720 is a little touchy on the base. Sometimes I have to run a finger over the contacts in the base for it to charge, but 90% of the time it clicks right in place. The charge seems to last pretty much all day since I'm the only one who ever puts it back.

I'm with you on not paying $100+ for a remote. I'm sure in a few years I will eat that statement, but for now my cheap ass aint having it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm with you on not paying $100+ for a remote. I'm sure in a few years I will eat that statement, but for now my cheap ass aint having it.
a remote under $100 lacks the features that people like me need (unless you get a deal on a more expensive remote of course). URC makes great, simple remotes as does Logitech.
Logitech seems to have the same issue with all of their rechargeable products. my computer mice are the same way as my Harmony remotes have been

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The charge seems to last pretty much all day since I'm the only one who ever puts it back.
All day?

My 880 lasts for weeks. I don't even know what the schedule is because I charge it so infrequently.

Back on the original topic, here's one of my money pits :D

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
This is my Subaru/Money Pit. Its currently on jacks right now, needing a new CV axle.

Holy sh1t! More pictures please. I had 86 and 87 gl wagons back in the day that I wanted to do something similar with. I was told it couldn't be done.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Wife, two kids (actually just found out that my wife is prego. It'll be my first child), house projects, dog, bikes, school=no time or extra money for a project car. :0(