Quantcast

hobbies/money pits other than biking?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Foot modulation, yo!

Gotta be smooth before you can ever be fast. That's what I learned at some of the autocross driving clinics I went to. I had an 84 Rabbit with a 2.0 liter engine in it. That thing had torque steer pretty bad. Just gotta be smooth, or get a good LSD.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Cycling isnt really a 'hobby' for me. Totally retired from mtb racing so i'm getting back into water sports.
Costa Rica next month, South Africa next year. Trying to get Monkey Fest Bend Edition revisited. Monkeyfest Whistler?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
aside from bikes Audi...and you aren't kidding about $$$

oh and photography
Are those VMR wheels?

Oh, and the things required to have an Audi are:

-Time AND 100% confidence that you can pull an engine at any given time
OR
- Lots and lots and lots of money

:eek:

But once you acquire one of those 2, they're the best cars eva!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
if any wagon had 80cu ft of storage, id consider it.
i test drove a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDi and loved it, but i cannot and will not buy another VW product.
So... how many soccer balls fit in 80 cubic feet?

edit: Where the heck did you get 80 cubic feet? The Murano has 31 cubic feet with the rear seats up, and 64 with the seats down. That's almost identical to the Forester, which has 34 cubic feet with the seats up, and 63 cubic feet maximum capacity. That's also less than the Sportwagen (66 cubic feet).

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So... how many soccer balls fit in 80 cubic feet?
the only balls that are going in there are mine.

my g/f and I have 3 dogs and the Murano is the biggest car in it's class. we thought about a full-size pickup with a cap over the bed, but in the end, the pricing and size of the Murano is what we wanted. oh, its also NOT a VW product too. :thumb:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
Well, aside from Scotch and the MSc, mostly audiophile addictions. I've gotten quite lucky with my audio gear and have use of the following back where I grew up (the big gear temporarily stayed back home when I took off):

Spectral DMA-100S Reference Amplifier
Spectral DMC-20 Reference Preamplifier
Hooked up to B&W 801's

Where I currently live, I've gotten into the more vintage stereo audio equipment and currently run:
Optonica SA 5206 or a Marantz 2230 receiver
Polk RT12's

However, I just picked these guys up for a song and will be restoring them this winter. I predict Bela Fleck at >125 decibels this spring...:D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
However, I just picked these guys up for a song and will be restoring them this winter. I predict Bela Fleck at >125 decibels this spring...:D
Ha, no way... did I see you post this on AK?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
ive always wanted to drive one of those. they look like fun because of how small they are.
what size engines did they use?
Yes the whole car is 1300 lbs and short. It's pretty much a street legal go kart that attracts vaginas.

These are all based on the VW Bug pan. This one is a 67. I have a Porsche Type 4 motor (1700cc, about 80 hp) installed instead of a bug motor, which is why I had to go custom for the exhaust.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yes the whole car is 1300 lbs and short. It's pretty much a street legal go kart that attracts vaginas.

These are all based on the VW Bug pan. This one is a 67. I have a Porsche Type 4 motor (1700cc, about 80 hp) installed instead of a bug motor, which is why I had to go custom for the exhaust.
thats a huge improvement over the 54hp those things came with. i must seek one out to drive and wear a gettup like this:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
if any wagon had 80cu ft of storage, id consider it.
i test drove a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDi and loved it, but i cannot and will not buy another VW product.
Volvo XC70 gets 33.3 cu.-ft. of rear storage volume. Fold down the second row of seats and you get 72.1 cu. ft. of space

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Volvo XC70 gets 33.3 cu.-ft. of rear storage volume. Fold down the second row of seats and you get 72.1 cu. ft. of space
my father has one and while it is nice, i didnt like:
-the 2.5L turbo since it is vastly underpowered (especially loaded down). the '07 Murano has 240hp vs 208hp of the Volvo. plus the CVT in the Nissan keeps the engine at the perfect RPM for its power
-the typical bland Volvo handling. my parents have had 3 newer Volvos and all felt dead in the suspension dept.

the Volvo actually has more storage space behind the seat vs the Murano (37.4 vs 32.6 cu. ft) but it doesnt have the height the Murano has.

ive done my research on everything ;)

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
my father has one and while it is nice, i didnt like:
-the 2.5L turbo since it is vastly underpowered (especially loaded down). the '07 Murano has 240hp vs 208hp of the Volvo. plus the CVT in the Nissan keeps the engine at the perfect RPM for its power
-the typical bland Volvo handling. my parents have had 3 newer Volvos and all felt dead in the suspension dept.

the Volvo actually has more storage space behind the seat vs the Murano (37.4 vs 32.6 cu. ft) but it doesnt have the height the Murano has.
I can only agree regarding the power and the handling. I had an X3 3.0si before and what change in power and handling. That said the Volvo is much more comfortable and lends itself to a safer laid back driving style. I really have had no problem with power but don't tell me the Murano is anything sporty despite the 240hp? I was really close to getting a BMW 535xi wagon last year now that would have been pretty sporty.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
but don't tell me the Murano is anything sporty despite the 240hp?
no, its not sporty at all, but it does have "car-like" handling and the CVT keeps the car "peppy." especially in Sport mode which delays "shifting" by 2500rpm's.
the stiffer suspension on the Murano compared to the XC70 also adds to this feeling.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
no, its not sporty at all, but it does have "car-like" handling and the CVT keeps the car "peppy." especially in Sport mode which delays "shifting" by 2500rpm's.
the stiffer suspension on the Murano compared to the XC70 also adds to this feeling.
I loved the way it handled when I drove it, but the wife wanted the Rogue and I wasn't having it.

We went from the Yaris (no 5 door), to the Fit (didn't like the changes for '09), to the Rogue, then bought the Corolla S because none of the wagons we tried we liked and the crossovers mostly sucked. Considering we got a steal on the Corolla and it will be paid off next year, I am happy with our decision.

But I would take a Murano if I had the extra cash to burn on something of status.