Quantcast

Hobby Park Dual

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Just a little(or a lot) of input from you guys. Is everyone still cool w/a dh bike class? Say a weight min of 38lbs. Unless there are too many complaints, I'm going to combine pro/expert. Last year I had 4 pro's and lost my @ss. Ok for the course, 4 pack stay or go? And I'm thinking of a hip jump/turn after the 4-pac or whatever ends up there. Oh yeah after you come out of the woods only 1 lane. It will be easier to maintain and quicker to run the race(less runs). Thanks in advance. M

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Mike, why don't you figure out a minimum pro rider count and if you get it split them off of the experts. Jr. will most likely race pro if you let him and I know of 2 BMXers from down here who would race pro if they didn't have to buy a full license. I think norba would get more racers in general if everyone had the one day license option.

Good idea on combining the track after the woods. Would there still be a 2 run format? Are you going to enlarge the berms?

How about some moto whoops or a mogul section?

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Yeah hopefully bigger berms depending on how much dirt I get. Yeah if ten pros show like back in the day(oh wait last year, it's been awhile since I've raced), we'll def. split the class. Yeah the norba thing is a prob. I've let my license expire so what do you do?

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
oh yeah single run to quali and single run eliminations. That way we don't have to do time splits which are a pain w/o real timing.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
is there any possibility to run the course differently as you leave the woods? that uphill section gets worse as i get heavier :D what has the city promised you in the way of heavy equipment and dirt? i KNOW you'll be able to get a lot of riders to come help dig but it would be nice if the dirt was placed there by something bigger than my beautifully freckled guns :cool:

also, can we have a "big-person" split along with the dh-bike class? i'm thinking, 220# and up :D :thumb: or perhaps, to simplify, just a "total-weight" class, where the bike/rider must be +220#'s ;)

as far as bigger berms....since we're going to one lane, we can use the dirt from the inside berm to build it up a bit....but i'm sure we'll still need more. the doubles in the woods and the stepdown thingy coming out of the woods need some serious lovin with a shovel and some dirt. i think it's realistically about 1/2 the size it was when first built.

oooo....oooo....and we can have a pit that we have to jump over with sharp sticks and poisonous snakes in it! that was be so e-rad!

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
I'm going to get a bobcat(not the animal) so that should make things easier. Yeah the snake pit sounds great and all the jumps can be 20 pinkbike feet tall. :rolleyes:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Mikedsx said:
I'm going to get a bobcat(not the animal) so that should make things easier. Yeah the snake pit sounds great and all the jumps can be 20 pinkbike feet tall. :rolleyes:
On that vein, why not run it at night and have a fire jump at the finish line?

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Sunday, Sept. 18th. The flyer should be ready sometime next week. I will post a link to it later. Snake pit and fire pit sweet!

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
I know there won't be many going, but Nationals are that weekend. I am planning on going and I would guess Chuck, Juan, Chris, Ryan(s), and Gerrit will be there.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
ztlh13 said:
I know there won't be many going, but Nationals are that weekend. I am planning on going and I would guess Chuck, Juan, Chris, Ryan(s), and Gerrit will be there.
Yeah I don't what happened, I swear we checked when the schedule first came out and it was the weekend of the 25th. I just found out today. It definitely sux, but it's too late to change

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Me and formermtnboarder rode hobby today. It definetly needs some lovin, but i actually like the layout. I think the straightaway/slight uphill to the stepup is actually fun, just cause its so hard to carry speed through and should make for good racing. I think the 2x should be pretty cool, we just need to make sure that neither of the lanes in the woods has an advantage. Like the Tubby Man said, Mike you just say the word and we'll be there.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
maybe make the jump after the berm after the step-down out of the woods bigger to maintain speed better. Higher/bigger landings=faster/easier pedaling.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i could "run" it faster than pedal it that way!

speaking of doughnuts......i'll swing by the krispy kreme and pick up a few dozen if you guys want. you know....in my patrol car so they're free ;)

just found out that my wife scheduled my daughters first b-day on the 18th. looks like i'm gonna have to do some serious time juggling.
mike...any word on race times yet? i need to get planning, may end up having the party at chuckee-cheese in winston so i can work things out with the race.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
manimal said:
i could "run" it faster than pedal it that way!

speaking of doughnuts......i'll swing by the krispy kreme and pick up a few dozen if you guys want. you know....in my patrol car so they're free ;)

just found out that my wife scheduled my daughters first b-day on the 18th. looks like i'm gonna have to do some serious time juggling.
mike...any word on race times yet? i need to get planning, may end up having the party at chuckee-cheese in winston so i can work things out with the race.

so you DO get a 'professional' discount on the doughnuts huh?

sorry i just could NOT resist that one :nuts:

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Practice is 9-11 and qualifying 11-12. We'll go straight to eliminations after qual. It shouldn't take as long since we're not doing a run in each lane.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Oh yeah, since I'm old that may not be exactly the times. The flyer should be ready this week. I'll check it tomorrow morn. and let you know. But is the same as last year.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
are we going to run all the way through all classes then regroup, then run through all classes again or are we going to narrow each class down in it's own group. i'd have to be out of there by 3pm or i can't go :mad: wife won't change b-day times cause frikkin in-laws are coming into town :dead:

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Yeah run all classes first round, then quarters, semis, finals. I really think we should be done by 3. The single elimination runs much faster. I think last years was over by 4.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
manimal said:
are we going to run all the way through all classes then regroup, then run through all classes again or are we going to narrow each class down in it's own group. i'd have to be out of there by 3pm or i can't go :mad: wife won't change b-day times cause frikkin in-laws are coming into town :dead:
Damn Tubby, any more requests? Want to run the race in your squad car? You going to write a ticket to anyone who beats you? :oink: :oink: :oink:

Here's a thought, why don't you have the birthday party at Hobby Park? :eek:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Peete said:
Damn Tubby, any more requests? Want to run the race in your squad car? You going to write a ticket to anyone who beats you? :oink: :oink: :oink:

Here's a thought, why don't you have the birthday party at Hobby Park? :eek:

trust me...i mentioned it to the wife but she doesn't want to chase a bunch of toddlers around a clay infested area.....would you :D

then i was trying to get her to have it at the winston chucky cheese but that didn't go either.

looks like i'll have to be home by 330 at the latest.

mike....you gonna make up a 'lil kids class again?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
escapeartist said:
Shoot, I was really looking forward to that.

looks like it may work out afterall. i think she rescheduled the party for monday 'cause her family really wants to see noah race at hobby. and...we'll probably be going to chucky cheese's after the race and you're more than welcome to join :D

mike- is the big bike class going to be split in itself? like beg. big bike, sport......ex.... or will it be one lump class kind of like HT is as sugar?

i can't decide whether to race the p2 or the big hit. i guess i'll see how the turnout is.