Quantcast

Hobby Park race

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Are there any good carolina style bbq places near the park?
They don't know how to do bbq in GA and I have withdrawls.
If you're gonna hit up Swannanoa on your way back through, I can point you to a place that is only open for lunch and has a line out the door at 11:30am here in Asheville down on the river...:cheers:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Lets see some pics? is the track layout the same, similar
how and where has it changed?
I Look foward to another challenging triple
after snowshoes last triple took out
my expensive rear wheel when I fully cased it
on my first attempt during my qualifyer
At least I stayed up

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
no pics just yet, i forgot my camera but i'll take some this weekend while i'm there. here are the changes that are in the works as initiated by the man...mike cobler.
changes:
woods section - none

big jump out of the woods has been "improved" to fix some of the erosion

first berm is now bigger

double is now a table but bigger with another small double after it to help smooth out the natural "hump" in the course.

step-up has been improved as well.

big left hand berm pretty much the same but with some new dirt to cover the grass that has grown in

4-pack is now a big double that has a table style third jump that can be tripled with enough speed. ( +/- 20' to the triple)

the hip-table thingy after the 4 pack is gone. now a left-handed berm and then another quick right hander to allow for some passing (great idea mike! )

*i left before mike finished prepping everything but he'd mentioned moving the finish line table back a bit and making it taller/longer

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Are there any good carolina style bbq places near the park?
They don't know how to do bbq in GA and I have withdrawls.
Problem is none are open on Sunday. Oh yeah and the third jump of the triple never became a table(thanks for all the updates manimal). Zach tried it tonite and almost crushed his 888, so I'll be taking some of the lip off in the morning. Hopefully someone has pics of the course to post:clue:

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Sorry Mike, I had my camera out there and everything today, but just got a few of everyone coming off the stepdown in the woods. I realized that I should have taken some pictures of the course halfway home.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Ya too lippy for that distance and the shortness of the run up, you can get some hieght just not distance.... i was hauling when i hit it, and just landed front wheel on the top of the 3rd one. im fairly sure my speed was dead on, the lip just tossed me higher then i thought , if it was mellowed out a tad you could get the distance easy.

First time ive ever made my stantions move in the crowns, they slid up about 1/4th of a inch, i came down pretty hard, we thought i bent the steerer tube, turned out i just had to loosed the crown bolts and the fork went back into place, just like new !!.. Chest hurts tho i smacked it good on my stem and you can see the line from my right side of the bars on my side, kinda funny.

Oh yea, PROPS to the Halo SAS i just built .. dem be solid, thought for sure they woulda been outta true from that hit, not a single thing wrong with um..... !!!

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Sorry Mike, I had my camera out there and everything today, but just got a few of everyone coming off the stepdown in the woods. I realized that I should have taken some pictures of the course halfway home.
Well, they can see it next Sunday. See ya soon.

Well I just quit my new job and am wondering; with all this time on my hands now, should I come up there? Is this a jumping course, or a speed course? I've been working on the spped stuff,but not so much on the big jump stuff. I could hit the BMXican track here...
Last time I went up, it was like an 8 hour drive for some local racing. I really don't want to do that. I do want to get a race under my belt this year though. I'm kind of itchy. And no Butch- it's not crabs.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Is the course at hobby a Y course now?
meaning: two seperate lines til out of the woods
then into one.
man I miss the real deal, differential times- no excuses
two runs one in each, the best rider always wins
without a real timing system it's a tough call though
I just didnt like snowshoes Y course. It was uneven
for the most part racing was determined in qualifying
Hope this one is even to the split!

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Yeah split til out of the woods. I think the right lane is a little slower so I may put a couple of speed bumps to slow the left down some. Yeah I like two courses better. It's just a beotch to get timing and maintain.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
right-right I know it does make it tougher to run the race
the seperate lane version
but if you're aware of trying to make it even
I'm sure it'll turn out to be good. sounds like you
tried to put in a turn sequence that will give opp.
to make a pass and get gritty! Cool man can't wait!

Thanks for the effort you guys are puttin in!
see if you can get some fast pros to work on it?
so they'll be all worn out for race day so I'll have
a chance - hha hhhhaa fat chance huh!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
..... though
I just didnt like snowshoes Y course. It was uneven
for the most part racing was determined in qualifying
I don't know...from what I saw of your last race, you trying to use that guy as your berm was what slowed you down. I'm pretty sure I saw you rail him all the way up to his Apex before you slipped off...:cupidarrow:

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
thanx for the pics Alex. And for everyone who's lent a hand(or shovel) a big thank you. Hopefully we'll get a little rain to keep it from being a dustbowl. Oh yeah, nice goggles Zach.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
Uh...ruhro
Nice pics Alex.

...this jump is too weird, why just dont make it double without the bump before it, or table top, and after this jumps I think the berm in the right side just doesnt make sense... You guys did a great job building it, it is just a point of view :clue: , no offense ;)

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I think the roller to double thing is gonna be weird as hell in the race. Good for a lot of crashes. But its also a good dual slalom rythmish type of jump. A real racer jump. I like the idea of the berm on the right but I doubt it'l be used much in the race. Mike said he was gonna build a wallride on top of it. Which I will loose to regain some dignity when I am loosing.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
that roller rocks! it's pretty much just a committment jump. i haven't cleaned it perfect yet but i'm close enough that i think i'll get it soon w/ more practice. it'll definitely help separate the classes a bit.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Is there going to be a bigbike class again. Or would I be allowed to race my singlespeed hardtail. I think norba rules say you have to have atleast like 3 gears or something and front/rear brakes.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Is there going to be a bigbike class again. Or would I be allowed to race my singlespeed hardtail. I think norba rules say you have to have atleast like 3 gears or something and front/rear brakes.
Yes, theres a bigbike class, and I think they'l let you run your singlespeed, but Mike can confirm that.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
For everyone who wants to do the triple I added an extension to the far right of the roller. Then to make the berm after the triple/roller thing more useful, there are some small moguls going into the S berm(does that make any sense?). Look at the pic of the S berm, the flat space in front of the right berm now has moguls.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ok, some course and action shots from today. it was a bit muddy so i worked on the pimp berm before the triple and smoothed out a few things.

all pics are from after the jump out of the woods since most people have seen it in pics
first berm to table to bump to step-up

after step-up into big left hander berm w/ mikedsx's pimp berm that i beefed up a bit today

the new "thing" jump. not sure what to call it but it's a hoot!

side view of lower course

finish line table like a finish line table should be :D

action shots (low light shooting isn't my forte')
kegan over the woods jump

kegan off the "thing" jump

chris on the "thing", it scared him so much he made poopy in his pants

brian wilkerson showing us how to hit the tombstone kicker

yet another "mike" off of the woods jump

hope to see you all there!