1 Alex Boyd
2 Jason Eaton
3 Jorge Arango
4 Buck Boxley

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Oh yeah, I hope you feel better MotoMike. That was an ugly spill.
Concusions suck. BTW, you probably don't remember that $50 I loaned you earlier in the day...:brows:

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
I talked to Dinger and he didnt know his name.

Looks like he is coming up! Great to see Peter is doing well with the big guns.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
I just got a pic of the bar hump from the other side. It's actually a bar hump nac-nac. I'll post it once I get the file.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Their taking over the Cane Creek Cup. CC is no longer part of the series.
So from my experience that means they'll throw money at it and tires and banner tape right?

Them taking over the series just means the primary funding, points and category structure for individual promoters to fall under will change names. That doesn't make gravity events appear unless guys do like me, SEI, Terry Hinton and Mike do and go out and get a venue to put on a race for Maxxis to back.

Unless there's something I don't know about...

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Sandy told me that they(Maxxis) will be contributing but will not be the primary sponsor, if I heard him correctly. Cane Creek will still be contributing also, just no where near as much(they paid out $5000 dollars for the overall awards). Sandy is definitely interested in the gravity events. We are planning to work with him,but I would be willing to do another ds @ hobby if another series does come up. I really think it would be better to have one really good series rather than 2 okay ones. I'm not saying anything about the people who would run the series. I just think if we all worked towards one it could be even better. Sponsorship would be easier to come by, w/ more people working on it and with some companies already signed on it should be easier to get others to contribute.
As far as some other ideas for a series in general, how about only medals for overall in beginner(no cash to encourage people to move up). Also split the pro's and experts for the overall awards.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
unless guys do like me, SEI, Terry Hinton and Mike do and go out and get a venue to put on a race for Maxxis to back.

I think a western NC DH race would be stellar and I don't mean Sugar. Think it could happen next year? Just one. Please just let us enjoy one less than 6 hrs away. And again I don't mean Sugar.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Not to get anyone's hopes up, but we maybe having some fun Super D races here in Greenville next year. The site is already confirmed, now all we need is a few sponsors to cover the Insurance cost and prizes. Already have a few working there too. How many of you would come down for a Super D race?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I think it would be awesome to see one again at windrock. Any chances of that happening?
windrock as a venue is not out of the question.

a few details to keep in mind would be,
insurance obviously.
no local buisnesses seem to have any interest in the gravity side of our sport. (believe it or not, i've talked to a few outside the cycling arena.) any local interests are committed to the motorized scene up here.
remember this isn't the easiest mt. to ride down if you're not that experienced. and the dual starting areas for different classes always led to massive time delays.
plus what was relatively easy routes when last we had events out here have gotten very much rougher and not condusive to lesser skill levels.

if there was a serious interest ($$$).
it could possibly have an influence on how we look at things as we enter our building season.

snowshoe has set quite a standard as to what a quality set of events should be.
it's a hard act to follow.
they have a huge advantage, as they have one location with many available trail systems to base off of.

as with everything else in life, $$$ talks.
and it needs to be there first so budgets and hard planning can begin.
out of town race promoting (as would probably be the case with w.r.)
is a nightmare that i can't even begin to imagine.
i see that as more of an obstacle to overcome than everything other than the finances.

b.t.w.
the $$$ i'm talking about, i don't want any part of.
other than help perhaps in trail prep.
i'm really adamant about as much going out to the racers as possible.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Joey, I would think that with Windrock's reputation and popularity, promoting the race would be the easy part.
The biggest hurdle I see is like you said, making a beginner course and race marshalling 2 courses.

BTW, hope to get up there at the end of the month.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Not to get anyone's hopes up, but we maybe having some fun Super D races here in Greenville next year. The site is already confirmed, now all we need is a few sponsors to cover the Insurance cost and prizes. Already have a few working there too. How many of you would come down for a Super D race?
Sounds like fun...keep us posted!:cheers:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
from what was said at Hobby there was going to be no $$ paid to
the overall series. He was asking for more sponsors and $$
although maxxis was giving $$ I was unclear as to where
the $$ would be going since he said not towards payout
or course construction??????????
If it is structured anything like this years CC series,
with the whole expert/pro overall ranking. Yet running
the classes seperate at some places and together at others
and the points being a complete bumble freak over,
I won't travel 10 minutes to go to any of the events.
I didnt like how the point shakeout went what so ever
DH overall winners were not even noticed!
Sugar was part of the series (in my opinion for lack of venues)
yet a Nat. has no place in a grassroots series.
I have competed in the CC series for 8 yrs
and appreciate the efforts from sponsors and volunteers
with the venues ranging from 3.5 to 6+ hr. drives to each
next year I'll find another series to get my fix!

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Ya i had to represent some Humpage there....

And ya DH didnt even get mentioned in the series even tho there was DH races in the series at least i thought there were, .. what happen to that...

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
I have talked a few times with the president of the tarheel trailblazers about getting the charlotte track back up and running. He told me that since the white water park was put in they do not have control over what goes on in the MTB part of the park. He said that we would have to go through different channels to get the course ready to race on or to have an event. I am trying though, and made it known that we still want that slalom course around!!!!

If we can get it going again, I think I could promote a race.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Keep in mind Jason, the last time we held a race at Windrock there were 4 expert racers.

I'd love to see an endurance DH race from the tippy-top.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
from what was said at Hobby there was going to be no $$ paid to
the overall series. He was asking for more sponsors and $$
although maxxis was giving $$ I was unclear as to where
the $$ would be going since he said not towards payout
or course construction??????????
If it is structured anything like this years CC series,
with the whole expert/pro overall ranking. Yet running
the classes seperate at some places and together at others
and the points being a complete bumble freak over,
I won't travel 10 minutes to go to any of the events.
I didnt like how the point shakeout went what so ever
DH overall winners were not even noticed!
Sugar was part of the series (in my opinion for lack of venues)
yet a Nat. has no place in a grassroots series.
I have competed in the CC series for 8 yrs
and appreciate the efforts from sponsors and volunteers
with the venues ranging from 3.5 to 6+ hr. drives to each
next year I'll find another series to get my fix!
I agree with alot of what you said. Something needs to be done to the way the categories are set up. As a promoter I had 4 pros and 9experts @ hobby. It is as you know it is much easier/better payout to combine the two. I was able to payout $520 to the top 4. I'm sure the top experts would love to feel like they could have a chance for the cash. We all would like to feel like we are getting faster but realistically our chances for beating you, juan, herndon, dinger etc.. probably aren't that great(the exception being peete jr who should be pro any day now). I don't mind racing anyone, but it would be nice to have a chance for at least the overall awards. By splitting the pros and experts for the overall awards, if we have to race together we both get points for our individual categories. That eliminates what happened this year in the overall. I am sure that Sandy would be open to the idea.

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Ya i had to represent some Humpage there....

And ya DH didnt even get mentioned in the series even tho there was DH races in the series at least i thought there were, .. what happen to that...
I'll try to find out about dh overall awards.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Keep in mind Jason, the last time we held a race at Windrock there were 4 expert racers.

I'd love to see an endurance DH race from the tippy-top.
doug,
you and i have talked about this before.

that's why i think having the payroll up front without having to depend on rider turnout for paybacks is essential.
it's just not worth the effort to do all the work that needs to be done.
only to barely get fifty riders to show up.

it may not draw lots of pro/ex's in the first time.
but we'd hope the word would spread for the following year or so.

i'll be very surprised if the snowshoe series doesn't draw more big names next year.
seeing as how it was anything but chump change the were rewarding us with.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Insurance:
The company that provides NORBA events insurance for $1million and covers each rider sells the same insurance direct to promoters. Wes's races use that same company and it's the same ~$3.00 per rider. So insurance for a race is NOT a problem for any of us.

Getting a venue to commit it's resources to an event is another realm altogether. I'm pursuing two opportunities currently for next season. If they pan out, you'll all know about them quick.

I will guarantee you this though. I won't do an event without top notch timing top to bottom.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I will be glad to help with what ever, so just let me know. Understand that I will not be able to put as much time into it as I had in the past, so someone else will have to head it up. I think if a few people do commit to a South East Series, some others will commit to helping out at different races. I personal have a lot of things going on in my life right now and trying to make something happen in Greenville for you guys will be a lot for me, but I will try to help out where I can. If it does happen, it will be a big thing for Mountain Biking in our area!!!

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I agree with alot of what you said. Something needs to be done to the way the categories are set up. As a promoter I had 4 pros and 9experts @ hobby. It is as you know it is much easier/better payout to combine the two. I was able to payout $520 to the top 4. I'm sure the top experts would love to feel like they could have a chance for the cash. We all would like to feel like we are getting faster but realistically our chances for beating you, juan, herndon, dinger etc.. probably aren't that great(the exception being peete jr who should be pro any day now). I don't mind racing anyone, but it would be nice to have a chance for at least the overall awards. By splitting the pros and experts for the overall awards, if we have to race together we both get points for our individual categories. That eliminates what happened this year in the overall. I am sure that Sandy would be open to the idea.
Yes I understand, I want to race more than 2 people at SE series
and as a promoter you have to combine X/Pro. No prob with that,
Just don't sep. some races put'em together some and expert get more points because they have more competitors.
When beating 2 people in pro may be more difficult and
recieve less points. Then don't put a national in the series where an
expert has a way easier class than the local semi/pro-pro class racer
who has guys from Australia (who could care less the series)
who bump the local guys out who support your grassroots (local races)
I guess then there would've been a true series with 2 dh and 1 slalom
The national is part of a nat. series, why p.o. the guys who support
the SE series by screwing up the points with the national thrown in
Thats my point! IF WE EVER HAVE A GOOD SERIES IT WILL EITHER
BE RACER RAN OR HAVE A PROMOTER WHO WILL LISTEN!

with all kinds of crossovers in class differences etc.