Quantcast

Hobbyist Welder v2.0 - complete

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Potroast88 said:
Very cool! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you charge?
I had been given a picture off the internet as a go-by by the customer and a budget of $800ish. In the end, I had $458 in receipts and got a check for $900. Not great considering the effort but it was a great first attempt. I am pleased with the result and so is the buyer. I'm figuring out pretty quick how to better judge prices. This should have been in the $1200 range. I probably could have bought the material cheaper if I had shopped it harder and not used $40 worth of allen bolts but owell, i was having fun. It wasnt all about the $

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
hey man, i had no idea you blew the torch. you have a welder of your own?

nice work jp.

t

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
maxyedor said:
Sweet if not very heavy bed! some form of coating would be a good idea next time to prevent possible rust and the sheet stains that will result.
tmx, yeah. just alittle bit. I've got a small Miller MIG welder and a 80# bottle. I have alot to learn but gotta start somewhere.

maxyedor - i agree about the gloss lacquer coating. I suggested it but the clustomer was fine with it raw. And after all the work this took, I'm glad i dont have to. I told him to use a dry rag for dusting - no water. If It needs a fresh sanding and a lacquer coating on down the road, I'll be glad to do it. PS. it is very heavy - it took two ppl to move the headboard. 11 ga. square tubing and 1/8 steel plate.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Looks like something you would chain someone to.

Bring out the Gimp

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Something like that would be sweet if it were powdercoated. LOL could you see a M3 orange or a Gloss black powdercoat? Talk about making the bed the focal point of the room!

But that thing must weigh a ton. Looking at the box sections are they thick/heavy? I could just see it now..........$400 in material, $500 in labor, and a rental of a crane to get it into the room :)

Nice work though! I've never seen a bed frame done like that before. Looks excellent!