Quantcast

Hockey Players on the Monkey?? Who else laces up the skates??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I started playing in a Monday night men's league this winter after a 4 year hiatus and I'm lovin it. It feels so good to be out on the ice competing again. It had been so long since I played on a team I think I've rediscovered my love for the sport (if only it weren't so damned expensive to play) and I look forward to each weekly game with great anticipation even though we skate at 9 or 10 pm on a Monday night.

So who else laces em up and plays ice hockey here on the Monkey.

How often do you play, where, and at what level?

One of these days I have to make a roadtrip to MA to hookup with splat's early Tuesday morning stick time group so I can fire a few slapshots at his mask! :D :dancing: :evil: :D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've played since post-fetal state. I have a feeling it may be cheaper up here though...except maybe in Toronto where arena time is a valuable commodity. We have a ton of outdoor rinks with boards though. It's pretty awesome actually, some of the greatest players in the world get out there. I've played with probably a dozen NHLers over the years in shinny games at public rinks. Amazing sport.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yep - ice time is definitely more reasonable in Canada vs. the US I think.

I grew up just outside of Rochester, NY (aka Jakelope land) and used to play in Ontario quite a bit as a kid. Lots of trips to Missasauga, Whitby, Scarborough, Stratford, Welland, Niagara Falls, Kingston, Hamilton, Burlington, etc. etc.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i havent played much in the past 2 years.. mostly roller... we play in a mall parkinglot in the wintertime to stay a little more warm.
I used to play a lot of ice hockey in leagues.. the only problem was that games would star around 10 or 11 pm.. add in a 1hr drive each way and me having to get up for work at 4am... yeah I couldnt do it anymore.. but i miss it. I actually was thinking of joining chelsea ice league.. but a) its very expensive & b) i dont really know anyone that plays there..its more fun with friends

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Me too, played since forever, up through Juinor Bs...
Currently playing in Europe (Beer league in Germany, although it sounds cool!) but returning to the States in Feb., where I will beer league it again in Wyoming. Its like bikes, cant get enough!
I will play in tournament in Garmisch in Feb, in the rink built for the Olympics in 36(?). Great place for a tourney! Hockey, skiing and beer in one of the most beautiful places on Earth!

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I played Hockey as a kid , Ice ,street and summer roller hockey (preinline days) but gave up the sport to focus on BMX racing back in 1978......

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I play twice a week in two leagues here in Chicago. I used to play club hockey in college. Ice time here is pretty steep. I pay about $170 a session (4 a year) for the one team I'm on and the other team is a little bit more.

We are going to Vegas for a tournament in April. Should be a good time.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Growing up I lived, breathed, ate, dreamed nothing but Hockey. it was my life.

Played Uni, Junior A, Bantam AAA, World Select 16, etc.. But I decided to get an education instead of trying for the big leagues.

when I moved to Cali I tried Pick up Hockey, but it wasn't like it used to be. So I quit cold turkey – don’t even like watching it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Acadian said:
Growing up I lived, breathed, ate, dreamed nothing but Hockey. it was my life.

Played Uni, Junior A, Bantam AAA, World Select 16, etc.. But I decided to get an education instead of trying for the big leagues.

when I moved to Cali I tried Pick up Hockey, but it wasn't like it used to be. So I quit cold turkey – don’t even like watching it.
Luc,

What Jr. A team did you play for? Did you play with any guys currently in the NHL??

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MMcG said:
Luc,

What Jr. A team did you play for? Did you play with any guys currently in the NHL??
The team was called "Moncton Beavers" - it was back in New-Brunswick.

when I played at the World Select 16 Tournament in Boston, I did get to play again guys like Valeri Bure (he was playing for USSR).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Acadian said:
The team was called "Moncton Beavers" - it was back in New-Brunswick.

when I played at the World Select 16 Tournament in Boston, I did get to play again guys like Valeri Bure (he was playing for USSR).

Cool stuff!!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
hockey used to be my life basically. i played for 11 years and then quit after my season freshman year was over. i just needed a break since i got sick of the team sports stuff with a coach bitching at me all of the time since everything was so competitive. plus i wasn't aggressive or good enough to make the high school team. i was a phenomenal skater but up until my last season as a bantam i was smaller than most of the other people on the ice and was not physical enough. massachusetts has a great network of town leagues so i always was able to play on an organized team but it just took over my life. from early september all the way to early april my entire life would have to revolve around hockey since i would be playing or practicing nearly 5 times a week. i think once i get to college i will get back into it because i always enjoyed playing for fun. its funny this thread came up because last night i had a dream about playing hockey again, so even though i don't miss the town league, i do miss the game itself.