Quantcast

Hold your Horses

scvw79

Chimp
Sep 9, 2005
Aptos, CA
I'm in the process of building up a new bike and have narrowed my brake selection down to 3 different choices. I wanted to see what other people thought, and hopefully I might be able to decide. I do a decent amount of XC and downhill, but I am not by any means a crazy downhiller that needs maximum braking. I am looking at:

Hayes El Camino's
Magura Marta's
Avid Juicy Seven's

Pricepoint, they are all pretty close...thanks for any feedback.

p.s. if you feel like there is something better out there that I haven't mentioned, please feel free to recomend.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Either the avids or the hayes, maguras are cool and all, but they are very hard to get parts/pads for. Avids and hayes are both cool, but hayes are a little easier to work on, and almost everyone has the pads for them.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Grizzle said:
Either the avids or the hayes, maguras are cool and all, but they are very hard to get parts/pads for. Avids and hayes are both cool, but hayes are a little easier to work on, and almost everyone has the pads for them.
Uh, Magura parts, while not as common as Hayes or Avid, are not hard to get. Located in Illinois, Magura is readily accessible and very helpful the times I have to order parts.

There is also a Magura dealer in Aptos as well.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
I know they are not hard to get per say, but what i meant is you can walk into damn near any shop and pick up a set of hayes pads. Not so much with magura pads. Figure that if you cannot find magura stuff that you need at a local shop, it will probably take a week to get your parts in. Thats alot of down time compared to almost always finding stuff for hayes or avid. Magura brakes work well though.

scvw79

Chimp
Sep 9, 2005
Aptos, CA
well, im looking at a bike that already has a set of the Magura's on it...it seems like the consensus is that the Avids might have a bit more stopping power, but I just want to make sure that Im going to have the feel and stopping power that I want out of the Maguras. I used to have a set of hope C2's so Im sort of used to having to jump through some hoops to get parts...I can always buy an extra set and just have them in my tool box if it seems like availability is an issue.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I've got avid mechs on one bike and two types of hayes (mech and hydro) on two other bikes and I prefer the avids to all of them...even the hayes hydraulic brakes.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
scvw79 said:
well, im looking at a bike that already has a set of the Magura's on it...it seems like the consensus is that the Avids might have a bit more stopping power, but I just want to make sure that Im going to have the feel and stopping power that I want out of the Maguras. I used to have a set of hope C2's so Im sort of used to having to jump through some hoops to get parts...I can always buy an extra set and just have them in my tool box if it seems like availability is an issue.
Dude, Hope mono-minis are so dope. Upgrade. The M4 are even nicer.