Quantcast

Holiday party pot luck food suggestions?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
kwanza, solstice, christmas, whatever......

I'm going to a party and need to bring some food.

there will be some vegitarians so maybe some wuss food :love: suggestions as well as :oink: normal people food. :p

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
this is super easy, but they will think you slaved all day.

Smoked Salmon Cheesecake 350 oven

1/2 - 1# smoked salmon, chopped fine
3 eggs
3 C. sour cream
2-8 oz. cream cheese
1/4# butter, soft
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 C flour
2 C. sharp cheddar grated

Cuisinart salmon & blend with remaining ingredients until very well mixed.
Pour into greased 10" spring form pan. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool complete. "frost" with a mixture of pesto & sour cream

Serve with your favorite gourmet crackers. Leftovers are great on toasted bagels.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that sounds really good, geargrrl. however...

NO FISH!!!! :oink:

i must be the only person in the NW that doesn't like fish. :)

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Non vegetarian option (and the easiest) is the old stand by of cocktail weenies and BBQ Sauce in the Crock Pot.

Vegetarian option (and the only decent thing I got out of one of myh ex girlfrineds) Spinach Dip!!

8 oz Mayo
8 oz Sour Cream (don't use that light or fat free crap!! ditto for the mayo)
One package Leek Soup Mix
One Package frozen chopped spinach
5-6 green onions chopped
Optional-water chestnuts

Mix altogether and refigerate for an hour or so so the soup mix won't be crunchy.

Hollow out a bread bowl and put mix in. serve with chunks of bread.

The spinach dip is good because it is easy and if you do the bread bowl right, you don't have to worry about keeping track of dishes to take home!! And if you have a lot of people you can easily double or triple the recipe. And lastly, best to serve on a friday because it always gives me the farts!!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Hot wings are always easy and popular. I am gonna make up a batch next week.

Just don't use that foul buffalo sauce.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
One of our favorite things to bring to a party is simple and everybody loves it.

Just take a few large tomatos, sliced up and throw some fresh basil on top with a slice of REAL FRESH mozzerlla. You can also add prosuttio to 1/2 for the non-vegeterians. Top it all with some olive oil and fresh salt and pepper.

Something like this.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Salad/InsalataCaprese.htm

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I was thinking about lentil dip but I kind of wanted to bring an actuall dish, not an apitizer...

ho' made mac and cheese?
chili verde? (green chilli, white beans)
??

more suggestions!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't have a deep fryer for wings....:(
what the hell is foul buffalo sauce? you meen the stuff Franks makes? or something else? or buffalo sauce in general?

stosh, great suggestion! (even though tomatoes are enemy number one)

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Local gourmet shops should carry a mix for Ass Kickin' Chili. It's pretty damn good. Depending on the non-vege's you can make it with ground turkey. That's what we do and it's awesome. But be careful with the Habenero pepper packet-I think there is ev en a warning about washing your hands after handling the pepper before touching anything that you might be fond of!!!!!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
riverside73 said:
Local gourmet shops should carry a mix for Ass Kickin' Chili. It's pretty damn good. Depending on the non-vege's you can make it with ground turkey. That's what we do and it's awesome. But be careful with the Habenero pepper packet-I think there is ev en a warning about washing your hands after handling the pepper before touching anything that you might be fond of!!!!!
our local stores carry something like that.. however, I'm a chilli snob so I make my own.. and it's green. :)

no need for the habanero warning, I have a few different kinds of hab poweder as well as many bottles of hab based sauce.. *spice addict*

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
pnj said:
I don't have a deep fryer for wings....:(
what the hell is foul buffalo sauce? you meen the stuff Franks makes? or something else? or buffalo sauce in general?

stosh, great suggestion! (even though tomatoes are enemy number one)
Why are tomato's bad?