Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
It's Christmas and Haunnakah.
They are religious events.
We celebrate them this time of year.
The celebrations involve traditions.
Those traditions include religous symbols.

If you don't like it, feel free to work on December 25th.

If you really want to separate church and state we will have to abolish federal holidays such as Easter and Christmas. So...do you really want to give up a paid day off?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
happy holidays and new year to you! :oink:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Damn True said:
If you really want to separate church and state we will have to abolish federal holidays such as Easter and Christmas. So...do you really want to give up a paid day off?
I'm down. No, seriously. Not a joke. I wouldn't complain.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Damn True said:

Are you ever not pissy about something? :rolleyes:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
.:Jeenyus:. said:
:stupid:

We don't get any days off for Channukah anyways... :rolleyes:
Actually there are NO Jewish holidays that shut down everything like Xmas & Easter. Now most corporations will allow you to take off for YOUR religious occasion as a paid holiday, a few years back it was never like that.

But if you really want to look into the downfall of Xmas, blame the retailers. I have a real problem seeing Xmas stuff out in September, its a lot more meaningful when they would decorate the day after Thanksgiving like it used to be.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I also find it interesting, and sad, that non-Christians the world over celebrate Christmas as well. You don't see that in say, Judaism. Sanitization? Capitalization, commercialization is more like it; in the USA anyway.

However, like Silver stated, you don't see a lot of people bitching when their holiday is underrepresented or not represented how they want it. It's personal. Keep it that way and keep the religious views out of politics. We're, the US Christians and Jewish, the biggest 'Jihad' proponents ever - the Christians always have been.

I'm rambling - too much coffee and not enough sleep.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I suppose True will be working on all secular holidays?

Martin Luther King Day? Not black? Better be working.

President's Day? Not a president? Better be working.

Fourth of July? Not a revolutionary? Better be working.

When you look at it like that, the whole premise of the thread is sort of silly, isn't it?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lovebunny said:
christmas is a pagan festival? care to elaborate? id like to know more bout this
How else are you going to get the locals to convert? They used to do this stuff all the time.Incorporate elements from the pagan religions into christianity so that they (the pagans) would be more inclined to convert.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Brian HCM#1 said:
<snip>
But if you really want to look into the downfall of Xmas, blame the retailers. I have a real problem seeing Xmas stuff out in September, its a lot more meaningful when they would decorate the day after Thanksgiving like it used to be.
:rolleyes: Yeah - blame the *retailers* who are simply responding to the demand of our consumer nation. How about we blame the friggin' *consumers*??

Oh, hold on. That's us. :think:

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
How else are you going to get the locals to convert? They used to do this stuff all the time.Incorporate elements from the pagan religions into christianity so that they (the pagans) would be more inclined to convert.
Yup. Find almost any Christian holiday and dig into its roots - you'll likely find the underpinnings are some pagan holiday/ritual from the Old Days.

-S.S.-

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Damn True said:

What in tarnation are you talking about? Have you seen the weather reports for Tahoe for the next 9 days???? :D

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
Are you Fockers gonna get snow?? :mumble:

We're in a typical mid-winter Colorado crap-fest WRT snow.

-S.S.-

HAHAHAHAHA! Hell yes we're getting snow...and it's gonna be COLD...so it's gonna be nice dry powder...I don't know how to copy the weather report page, but it shows a WHOLE LOTTA these for the 10 day forecast...one on every day...you can also see the weather here to see how nice and freezing its going to stay...good thing I got that heavy duty for alaska weather snowboard jacket last year! :D :D...what an epic coupla days I'm gonna have this week...SWEEEEEEET! Sugarbowl one day...Alpine the next...read and weep suckas!

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA1163.html

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Yup. Find almost any Christian holiday and dig into its roots - you'll likely find the underpinnings are some pagan holiday/ritual from the Old Days.

-S.S.-
The roots of Christmas were pagan. Many of the current traditions came from pagan traditions, like the Christmas feast, tree, yule log. The church tried to ban the practice but could not get people to stop. So they just said it was Christs birthday, people celebrated the same way just for a different reason.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Westy said:
The roots of Christmas were pagan. Many of the current traditions came from pagan traditions, like the Christmas feast, tree, yule log. The church tried to ban the practice but could not get people to stop. So they just said it was Christs birthday, people celebrated the same way just for a different reason.

Are you saying you have a log? HAHAHHAHA!