Quantcast

Hollowpoint help...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Ok so I keep hearing about how you can adjust the travel on the Hollowpoint but I think I may be doing something wrong. The 1st pic is of the shock in the shorter travel position. This is how the bike came. The 2nd is of the longer travel setting.....It fits and all but once I let some air out the shock and compress it the top part of the linkage hits the top of the shock in the 3rd pic. My only solution so far has been to set it up like in the 4th pic but I know that can't be right....any help or insight would be appreciated...D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
D - what if you flipped the shock around and mounted it that way? With the fat end mounted to the downtube shock mount and the thinner end mounted to the linkage?

Will that work? Will it allow you to get to all the valves and adjustment knobs?

I saw someone with a Fox AVA do it that way on MTBR.com and it worked but he now has to manually lock out his shock vs. using a remote lockout when he's got it set up in the longer travel option setting.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
When your shock is in that position do you need do have that additional bracing in the empty holes? I don't think you do and that is what's causing the problem.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yo Donnie,

Mount your shock like shown: CV/T chamber valve points down in the long travel (lower) position, and UP in the short travel position (higher)

Have fun man!!!

Dave

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
dw - in case you check back in this thread - in your humble opinion - will the the 5th air outperform the fox AVA?

Reason I ask is because I have an all black 2004 Team frame with AVA on it's way to me!

Can't wait to give the dw link a try!

Mark

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
MMcG said:
dw - in case you check back in this thread - in your humble opinion - will the the 5th air outperform the fox AVA?
And a comparison of both these shock with the Swinger 3way Air (on the 04 Expert) would also be welcome. :)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
dw said:
Yo Donnie,

Mount your shock like shown: CV/T chamber valve points down in the long travel (lower) position, and UP in the short travel position (higher)

Have fun man!!!

Dave
thanks I'll give it a try....but the shock looks to wide to fit....I will post back after I try...D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Could everybody keep an eye out for a used 2004 frame for me as well. I love my 03 but it's time to upgrade!!