Quantcast

holly rollers

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i just picked up a pair of these for my hardtail. my buddy has been using them on his for a while and likes them a bunch for the SoCal fire-road-freeride scene. i have only had enough time to take them for a quick ride down the street. they feel great on pavement!!!

my question is, has anyone here been using these tires in the dirt? what type of riding are you doing on them? i know these are not meant to be trail tires. i have another wheelset that i can swap out for dirt rides with burlier tires. i will probably end up doing the swap when i need to. i thought there might be a funny story or two our there of people getting loose in the corners with them (like midget/sprint racing).

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I have ridden a DH bike with a mobster in front and a holy roller in back. Let's just say that the rear tire floated around a lot. They get HORRIBLE traction, except on pavement and hardpack.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
if you like drifting on dirt there fun, but don't expect them to actually hook up good, on hard pack they hook pretty nicely with lower pressure.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
They'd be the SHIZZNIT for dirtjumping and BMX track riding, but they sure look like they'd be sketchy for anything else on dirt.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
one of my friends rode his HT with holly rollers on our lose rocky eastern trails. he was all over the place but not that much slower so it can be done

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
well, i took them out for a bit this weekend, and i love them. they hook up pretty well on the dirt. on the climb part of this XC ride my buddies and i do, they almost felt like they wanted to roll uphill. gotta love the low rolling resistance. on the way back down, they hooked up on the hard pack. they got loose in a few sections of loose rock. however, all the tires i have ever ridden have gotten loose in those sections.

i am going to keep running them. i think some serrious carnage is in my future, but it will be fun until then.

they work awesome on the street, which they should.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm just surprised that any tire made out of holly would even work. I always thought they were made out of rubber....plus those little thorns on the leaves don't puncture the tube as soon as you pump the tire up?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i figured that these would not be great all-around tires. however, i am not opposed to trying them in different settings. i do have another wheelset with very agressive tires (rockin' the Big Earls) that i will swap out when i need to. i just wanted to see how bad they would be outside of their intended use. i will mainly be using them for urban riding with the occasional XC/fireroad ride. most of the trails here in SoCal are fireroads or hardpack. for my purposes, they may end up being an all-around tire.

they are definitely fast rolling. they also keep you on your toes in the corners.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bizutch said:
I'm just surpised that any tire made out of holly would even work. I always thought they were made out of rubber....plus those little thorns on the leaves don't puncture the tube as soon as you pump the tire up?
great catch.

happy hollydays.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
bizutch said:
I'm just surpised that any tire made out of holly would even work. I always thought they were made out of rubber....plus those little thorns on the leaves don't puncture the tube as soon as you pump the tire up?
. . . plus all those red berries make such a mess. Very "Christmasy," though. I usually don't change my tires for the holidays - maybe I'll try it this year.

toby

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
they look like a good all around tire for riding skate park, dirt jumps, urban. im not shure if i would want to do 4x on them unless it was more like a bmx track style 4x.