Quantcast

Hollywood Bike Racks

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anybody got an opinion on them?

PS. It would be on the back of my Xterra.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sorry never heard of and don't recall seeing any.....

Wow a hitch in the front interesting, at first i was thinking well don't follow anyone too closely and drive defensively what a hazard. But then i realized all the lame drivers that do follow too close and can crush your bikes is well beyond your control on a regular rear hitch mount. More likely someone would crash into you vs you crashing your bikes into something.....
Bet you get alot of smashed bugs on the bikes though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Skookum said:
ok now lookin at the picture once again, once bikes are on there, wouldn't that impede your vision?
Probably which is why under the pic I wrote, "PS. It would be on the back of my Xterra."

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
stosh said:
Probably which is why under the pic I wrote, "PS. It would be on the back of my Xterra."
oh like you don't derail any threads..... :think: ;)

The truth of my post remains, and i've never seen any front mounted hitch racks either, thanks for posting this, you've piqued my curiosity.
Hopefully we gain some insight on this.

and oh yah hopefully someone give Stosh some feedback too..... :rolleyes:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Skookum said:
oh like you don't derail any threads..... :think: ;)

The truth of my post remains, and i've never seen any front mounted hitch racks either, thanks for posting this, you've piqued my curiosity.
Hopefully we gain some insight on this.

and oh yah hopefully someone give Stosh some feedback too..... :rolleyes:
I've never derailled a thread in my life.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
that is what I had before the Sportworks and I can't believe I spent $$ on the hollywood. didn't like it...you shouldn't have to spend 15min securing your bike with fllippin' bungee cords just to make sure it doesn't fly off while driving...

ask Joe Pozer...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Tis true what Acadian and V.G. speak of...If I had to do it over again I would have shelled out the extra money for the Sportsworks instead of the Hollywood rack

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Joe Pozer said:
Tis true what Acadian and V.G. speak of...If I had to do it over again I would have shelled out the extra money for the Sportsworks instead of the Hollywood rack
Thanks Joe!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I have a Saris Cycle-On and really like it. I was looking to get a Sportworks and there was a shop closing down and had the Saris as a display and I picked it up for 60% off. It takes about 20 seconds to load the bike. The one draw back is if you have 2 bikes which are pretty close to the same size there is a hadle bar/seat issue to deal with.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
had a hollywood... got a sportworks... kicking myself for buying the hollywood in the first place. they're crap. no matter what the price, you'll be buying a new rack in at least a year if you buy a hollywood. just drop the $300 on a sportworks instead of $125 + $300.

DHcorndog

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
portland
i got one of the hollywood racks. it works great nice and easy to use. its a hell of alot cheeper than anything els out there. i just got the adapter to add 2 extra bikes, the issue there is i need a helper spring in the back of my 4 runner now. and with 4 bikes on the back it sticks out quite a bit

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DHcorndog said:
i got one of the hollywood racks. it works great nice and easy to use. its a hell of alot cheeper than anything els out there. i just got the adapter to add 2 extra bikes, the issue there is i need a helper spring in the back of my 4 runner now. and with 4 bikes on the back it sticks out quite a bit
man I should could go for a Corn Dog right about now.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
stosh said:
Anybody got an opinion on them?

http://uploads.fakeleg.com/tmp/Hollywoodrack.jpg

PS. It would be on the back of my Xterra.
I have had a Hollywood Team Rider rack for about two years now. I haven't had any problems with it unless you count the first time I put it on the car and the trailer hitch broke off the car on the highway at 70mph :eek: . ****ing piece of **** car and it's rusty trunk.

Is the rack in the picture the one you are getting? There have been 3 styles of straps to hold the wheels. The first style where these rubber bands that sucked and broke in no time.

The ones pictured are very durable and will last much longer. I have the style that use a plastic buckle and nylon-type strap along the lines of what is used on a helmet. They have been holding up great in the two years I have had them but I don'g expect them to last forever.

If you can get one in great shape for $125 I say go for it. It will fit a variety of bikes with a small amount of time for adjustments for little money. I can carry from my 20" BMX bike to my Sunday with Michelin 2.5 & 2.8 tires.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The only thing about Sportworks is their sale to Thule. Not that a rack manufacturer is Microsoft or Coca-Cola, but I worry that this will affect the LBS.