Quantcast

Holy..! 4GB CompactFlash: now THAT would make for a sweet MP3 player.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Check it out:

http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9584_22-5515777.html?tag=zdnn.alert

A 4 gig, solid-state MP3 player would be awesome. They're pricey now, of course, but technology does nothing but get cheaper, right?

The implications for cameras are currently less impressive, IMO. I would never own a 4gig card for my camera: imagine all the data you'd lose if it bit the big one. However, with cameras going for more and more megapixels, it would mean the same number of pictures on one card at higher resolution.

Cool stuff :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Transcend said:
Alot of pro photogs have microdrives. I believe the Ipod Mini uses one as well....
Thats right, Apple was the 3rd or 4th company to make a microdrive mp3player. In the case of the creative player it was cheaper to buy the player and gut it for its microdrive than to buy a microdrive separately and there were articles on photo websites on how to do it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
<snip>
The implications for cameras are currently less impressive, IMO. I would never own a 4gig card for my camera: imagine all the data you'd lose if it bit the big one. However, with cameras going for more and more megapixels, it would mean the same number of pictures on one card at higher resolution.
Yep - especially in RAW mode. :eek:

-S.S.-

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
Yep - especially in RAW mode. :eek:

-S.S.-

HAHA raw is rediculous it takes up like 23mb of mem on my camera per shot.

Lexar has had an 8GB flash card on the market for some time now.. trouble is it sells for 1300$ at bhphoto.com

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
binary visions said:
Right, but this isn't a microdrive - it's flash memory.
Wow where'd I see microdrive?

Anyways There are currently plenty of 4gb and 8gb cards ont he market. Lexar is king of teh dense cards. With an 8gb 80x. Currently I am using all 1 and 2 gb cards, can't fathom the thought of losing 4gb into a lake or something.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BV, FYI Samsung had the first 4GB flash based mp3player:

from dapreview CES Samung Coverage
Next to that, there's a color-screened version of the YH-920 available, very originally named YH-925. On top of YH-920's functionality, there's stuff like USB-Host and motion JPEG support. Basically the same the casing was used and it still comes with a skimpy 9-hour expected battery life per charge. Samsung couldn't be bothered with holding in, so there's more news to report. The YP-C1 is probably the first 4GB flashmemory player ever, their YP-T7 is nice little color screen flash unit and well, you'll probably know about the micro-hdd-based YH-820 by now. Completing the picture is the clock-inspired YP-W3 thing, which seems fitting enough to hang around your (girlfriends) neck.
Random Company at CES
some scraps to get rid of them: high-quality flash player manufacturer iOps has two new players coming up: the X5 and Z3. Both come with color screens (only 4k though) and are very compact in size. The Z3 tops at a 2GB capacity.
Haha, this means Steve Jobs can't make any claims about being first to 1, 2, or 4GB for flash player (not that I expect Apple to make a flash player that big/expensive). I guess he can resort to lying and/or saying its shiny like they did with the iPod Mini (they compared it to a Rio flash player when Rio and Creative had had microdrive players for 6 months before the iPod mini announcement (iRiver had one before the mini too)).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
JMAC said:
Well whats the difference between it and tiff files?
The difference is that it is, as the name indicates, the raw, unprocessed data directly from the sensor. That means that things like white balance, sharpening, saturation etc. that are all automatically applied by the camera are skipped and the uncompressed, unprocessed data is written to the card.

That means that the RAW file is usually an incomplete image until you pull it into Photoshop or the software of your choice and make the changes to your liking.

Handy if you you don't want the camera thinking for you and have the time/energy to modify every file that you shoot (not to mention the space to store them). A serious pain if what you want is pictures with the option of altering them if there are a few you don't like.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
The difference is that it is, as the name indicates, the raw, unprocessed data directly from the sensor. That means that things like white balance, sharpening, saturation etc. that are all automatically applied by the camera are skipped and the uncompressed, unprocessed data is written to the card.

<snip> A serious pain if what you want is pictures with the option of altering them if there are a few you don't like.
:stupid: I know a few photographers who much prefer to do all their work in Photoshop starting with the RAW data.

Also - apparently some magazines require the RAW image for consideration in publishing a photo.

-S.S.-