Quantcast

Holy Aerodynamics, batman! (f1 related)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Jezzus, watching the f1 practice at the Indy 500 race track today.

And godam the Mclaren/West car looks sick! There isnt a single straight line on the car, just smooth flowing wings. It has those sick wings on the intake, looks like a fighter plane. It is pulling in the fastest track times, I dont think any one has broken 1 min 10 seconds. I am hoping that De La Rosa will beat Shuemacher. Fisichella (sp?) in the Renault is also another big player.

Toyota only has 1 car on the track, 2 of their other cars crashed. One had a nice meeting with the straight away wall. They got 1 day and 11 hours to fix them. Looks like it will be a great race.

:drool: Gotta love that first person cam!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
All of a sudden I have a new found respect for you.

F yeah! F1 rocks! Personally I was always a Villeneuve fan. But then I was following him since before he was in CART cars. I am glad he has his head on straight again and is taking racing seriously. Someday I am going to an F1 race.. someday. Personally I don't think the Indianapolis track is a very good one. I think that they should have had the USGP at Road America. Much nicer, and it's a fast, fun track. Big too. But what can you do, that's Tony George at work.

The F1 cars are so beautiful. Truely art on wheels. Especially the McLarens and the Ferraris. So smooth and flowing. Have you ever seen them do the safety testing for the FIA? Oh man, they smash the cars! Fun to watch.

I was really bummed when we lost Senna. He is still missed out there.

Are they practicing or qualifying right now?

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
F you! i have to wait till tomorrow to see any footage, we only get live quali and race. have to rely on the god-damned intraweb for my updates outside of that.
the mclaren is without a doubt the best looking car on the grid.
they never fail to make that thing look mean. those horns add to the bad-ass-ness of it.

followed closely by the Redbull Racing, i love the colour scheme.

gonna be a good race, looing good for the mclarens hopefully kimi can claw back some points on alonso. also cosworth have brought there new engine for the redbull team another few hundred rpm and 30bhp over the current engine, wonder if we'll see another strong points finish for couthard/liuzzi.

oh and le mans 24h is on this weekend as well, looking forward o a motorsport filled weekend, supposedly eurosport are covering about 12hours of le mans live over th race.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I loved the sound of the my brothers big block V8 made.

Considering what he shoved it in, it was quite funny to.

F1 engines are ok.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'd love to go check out an F1 race. The IRL crews were in the area this week testing at Watkins for the September race. A friend of mine shoots video when NASCAR races at the Glen and he couldn't believe how much faster and harder to follow they were. Five drivers broke the course record on Wednesday. I can't imagine the F1 guys buzzing around there since F1 last visited in the early '80s.

BTW, I think Danica was 13th or 17th out of 19 testing.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Andy_B said:
I thought most F1 teams were rolling 7+1 gearboxes these days... :think:
maybe he only likes the sound of them on short straights? :oink:

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Yea, most teams, but not all. Doesn't really matter with the 05 rules for decreasing aerodynamics, in an effort to keep speeds down for "safety" purposes. And by the time the cars hit close to their top speed in 6th gear, it's time to slow down for a turn anyway.

Acadian said:
Excellent video! I salivated, urinated and deficated at the same time.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
And it must be mentioned. As much as the FIA hates to hear it (as if they were reading this anyway)... Race tires do NOT have grooves in them!!!!!!
Silly FIA.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Yeah, what are those grooves for?

I saw one of the Toyota cars hit a wall and the tires are tethered to the frame some how with these nylon straps so they dont fly off and hit spectators. It was being brought back on some sort of lifter truck and the wheels were just haning off of the frame. Now what fun is that?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
Yeah, what are those grooves for?

I saw one of the Toyota cars hit a wall and the tires are tethered to the frame some how with these nylon straps so they dont fly off and hit spectators. It was being brought back on some sort of lifter truck and the wheels were just haning off of the frame. Now what fun is that?
The grooves are an attempt to slow the cars down.

The tires are tethered because in the past more than once spectators hae been killed by wheels flying off in to the stands.

Have you ever driven a go-kart? A race kart, not the little put put lawnmower engine ones... So fast. So fun.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
TRULLI JUST BROKE THE 1:10 second time, its him and Button who are in 1st and 2nd place for qualifying, but it isnt over. Alonso and Fishichella have already run and are currently in 3rd and 4th, with the Mclaren in 5th. Apparently Shuemacher got injured earlier today, but i just woke up.

I do not want to see a Renault win. Hopefully we can have a repeated of the Canadian race and have them both crash. :evil:

It could be any ones race, and they are talking about trouble with Micheline tires or somthing, and Renault runs Micheline, so...

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
yep sidewall weakness, michelan claim that with some of the cars they can only guarentee the tires will only last around 40/50 laps, they are trying to get everyteam to agree to allow them to fly in new tires, if there is just one team that dont agree they wont be allowed to.
all the michilan runners have to run there tires with higher pressures just now to make sure they stay intact.

i watched the full qualifying earlier.
riakkonen(sp?) 2nd looking good for the race, from the looks of it the toyota is running rather light on fuel so thats not really a real representation of there real pace.
so i think its looking good for a kimi win or at least podium position, thats considering his michy's hold together and he stays on te road..

i think the redbull setup was heavily effected by the tire pressure change, i thng as the get used to the fealling of the car they will have decent race pace..

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ciaran said:
The tires are tethered because in the past more than once spectators hae been killed by wheels flying off in to the stands.
I thought they put the tethers in after Senna died? The crash didn't kill him, the wheel and suspension coming back into the cockpit did.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Silver said:
I thought they put the tethers in after Senna died? The crash didn't kill him, the wheel and suspension coming back into the cockpit did.
does anyone have a link for what these tethers actually look like? i am still trying to wrap my head around how they might attach.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I remember Toronto had an annual grand prix, or maybe it was every other year. Anyway, I was too young to go. But man I'd go now if I ever make it back there. They'd shut down the entire downtown by the Tower for it from what I remember. I also recall seeing a vid shot from a heli over the lake at the water front w/ the skyline in the background... Those cars were moving soooo fast and darty that they didn't look real!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Silver said:
Not sure about F1 specifically. Many race series have the tethers. Spectators have been killed by errant wheels though.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Damn True said:
I just wish they'd decided to hold the event at a real road course rather than at Indy.

Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Road America, Watkins Glen something other than Indy.
Yeah a real road course would be real nice............hopefully all the cars will show up on the grid to race............ :angry: