Quantcast

Holy Cicadas Batman!

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I was at a customer's house last thursday and they were all over the house, cars and there was a good 3" shell covering around all the tree's. The neighbors small gree shurbs and white fence were brown.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by Shaidc18
i feel sorry for you guys, i havnt heard a single cicada down here in Woodbridge.
whats the deal?
The deal is that you probably live in a place that has been developed in the past 17-20 years.

Go into the deep woods, away from any new developments (if there are any :)) Check there, then get back to us :)

Although there were none in Richmond either...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by BigMike
I went for a ride yesterday around Accotink/Wakefield, had my headphones on, and my music got overpowered by the cicadas!

It was rediculous.
Headphones? You missed out on all the cool crunching noises. :D

The worst part, from what I remember of last time, is yet to come. Once they mate, they all die. Those millions of little rotting corpses start to work up a stink after a while. :blah:

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
What tire provides the best traction on cicada paste and which tread pattern best avoids packing up with the husks? Michelin? Intense? :D
On a white bullit with black cranks.

I went to Fountainhead yesterday (Sunday) and it was pretty damn loud too. Not that many on the trails though...

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
What tire provides the best traction on cicada paste
Speaking of cicada paste...they don't seem to fly very well and their larger than average size makes it such that they don't seem to follow the slipstream over cars like smaller insects...which translates into cicada paste all over your windshield as they disintegrate on impact. At times this weekend it looked like someone machine gunned my windshield with paintball pellets :dead: .

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
Originally posted by DamienC
they don't seem to follow the slipstream over cars like smaller insects...which translates into cicada paste all over your windshield as they disintegrate on impact.
i pulled three out of the grille or my car, and had to wash another couple off the windshield- just from driving last night in roslyn looking for beer.

ridiculous.

:monkey: :monkey:

Freride_Pyro

Chimp
Jan 29, 2004
annandale, VA
on my way home from school today i had to constatntly duck, swerve and otherwise dodge them, they were flying all over the place, i ended up gettin a couple stuck inside my shirt. and man does it reek around here

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I have a SPL meter (they measure loudness) it reached 73 db that's not that loud but I was about 30 yads from the little sh*ts.
On sunday I was at schaeffer and one hit my shin and exploded on impact. GROSS!!!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by novatrek
Has anyone here eattin any cicada?..........If you have i want to see video.
saw it on the news last night. all kinds of professionally prepared dishes.

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
Originally posted by DamienC
I wonder if they're doing what I think they're doing?

yessir. i tend to kick them when i see them doin that...we got enough already. saw a pair yesterday doin that...or should i say one tryin...you see the other was upside down trying to flip over....