Quantcast

HOLY COW - anybody see today's woot.com?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i just bought this for five bucks cheaper than that stupid thing. i'm gonna walk down at the Boardwalk and score chicks while i listen to my Night Ranger tape.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Skookum said:
i just bought this for five bucks cheaper than that stupid thing. i'm gonna walk down at the Boardwalk and score chicks while i listen to my Night Ranger tape.
Dude, I had that same one when I was in college.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Skookum said:

Don't forget to wear your OP shorts and Izod polo shirt with the collar tuned up!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
what did everyone else pay?

it's $369 at buy.com, but no rebate (well, a $100 one if join some music club thing for a year at $15/month)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Skookum said:
Thanks for the tip!
i mean fashion tips from N8... how can i NOT score?
funny thing is, that stuff is hot againg (OP & Izod). N8 must watch the OC too. :D

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
There's one on Amazon for $275...
Apple 40 GB iPod M9268LL/A
by Apple Computer

Is there a difference between the Apple 40 GB and the Apple 40GB/HP?

$275.00
Low Price New Seller: sc00by561 (Safe buying guarantee)
Rating: (Seller Profile)
Availability: Item usually ships in 1-2 business days; Ships from FL, United States.
See shipping rates

Comments: BRAND NEW IN BOX WITH WARRENTY

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Mmm.. Rio Carbon...
I just realised... I don't have an internet connection at home so I would have to manually label all my songs.... I'll get the desk first.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Warrenty?
MFG weraintee expired, fortunately I bought an extended service program with it. So I can apply the purchase cost to another item. I'll just get one with 512 mb of flash memory. No moving parts to fail. Who the hell needs to carry around 10,000 freakin songs anyway.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
No moving parts to fail.
I dunno.. I'm inclined to believe this is more of an isolated incident than a widespread problem with tiny hard drives. If it's not an isolated incident, well, there are going to be a whole lot of Microdrive users - photographers, videographers and the like - who should have been clamoring for a fix already.

I agree that the flash devices are far more bulletproof, though.

I'm tempted to go with a flash device and just buy a few large memory cards... It would be more expensive up front, but may last longer in the end.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
I dunno.. I'm inclined to believe this is more of an isolated incident than a widespread problem with tiny hard drives. If it's not an isolated incident, well, there are going to be a whole lot of Microdrive users - photographers, videographers and the like - who should have been clamoring for a fix already.

I agree that the flash devices are far more bulletproof, though.

I'm tempted to go with a flash device and just buy a few large memory cards... It would be more expensive up front, but may last longer in the end.
i guess it depends on what the player was doing when it died. i'd never take the risk of using my HDD-based mp3 player if it could be subject to hits or knocks, personally. that's what flash-based stuff is for.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
i don't know of any photographers who actually choose to use microdrives when flash is an option, except for the few weirdos who took apart ipod minis to get those 4 GB hitachi drives right when they came out. :D

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
I got my 30GB when they first came out like a year and a half ago. Glad I got it then, before it really took off. Now it's almost full and I need a new one..damn. Anyone have a 10gig I could buy? (Mac)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
i don't know of any photographers who actually choose to use microdrives when flash is an option, except for the few weirdos who took apart ipod minis to get those 4 GB hitachi drives right when they came out. :D
Actually, I know of several who use it for performance reasons. The Microdrives are faster than the flash based media, and I know some people who shoot exclusively in raw, and the write times are better with the Microdrives.

Regardless, it's a pretty widespread media type to simply crash and burn with any regularity. I stand by my "isolated incident" statement :D (not isolated in that it's the only time it has happened, isolated in that it's not widespread and common).

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
binary visions said:
Actually, I know of several who use it for performance reasons. The Microdrives are faster than the flash based media, and I know some people who shoot exclusively in raw, and the write times are better with the Microdrives.

Regardless, it's a pretty widespread media type to simply crash and burn with any regularity. I stand by my "isolated incident" statement :D (not isolated in that it's the only time it has happened, isolated in that it's not widespread and common).
Normally you're spot on BV but not this time. Check the link
http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7303

Write speed results in a 20D:
Sandisk Extreme III 1GB compact flash 5.983 MB/sec for a RAW file
Hitachi 4GB Microdrive 3.587 MB/sec for a RAW file

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mike B. said:
Normally you're spot on BV but not this time. Check the link
http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7303

Write speed results in a 20D:
Sandisk Extreme III 1GB compact flash 5.983 MB/sec for a RAW file
Hitachi 4GB Microdrive 3.587 MB/sec for a RAW file
'tis true, the most recent bout of Compact Flash cards has superceded the microdrives in the speed wars. The Ultra II cards were faster than the Microdrives, and with the Extreme III cards coming out (are they actually available yet?), it's no contest.

My statement wasn't intended to be so blanket, actually. From the perspective of the photographers I spoke of, they have a collection of memory cards that were purchased a while back, and are not going to throw 'em all away and replace them with Extreme III CF cards. From their perspective, Microdrive was faster than CF at the time, which is why they chose them.

Good catch, though, what was in my head and what was in the post didn't jive :o: