Quantcast

Holy Crap... (Handlebars)

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
some over-compensating racer boi/weight weenie/attention whore will no doubt.

apart from looking like cheap $25 chromo bars from your LBS's backroom, no one will be able to tell they're $300 Ti bars. have no fear because any person sporting these is the type to be sure to let you know how much they were, the weight and material at their first humanly chance.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
lots of socks maybe they have more than two feet. You'd want to be a bit strange to buy them

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Hmmmmm. A little less than 2x as expensive as the Monkeylite DH Easton bar, and about the same weight (220 vs 225g). If this lasts 4-5 years (or longer? lifetime guarantee?) and the Easton bar only 2, it's probably a worthwhile investment.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hmmmmm. A little less than 2x as expensive as the Monkeylite DH Easton bar, and about the same weight (220 vs 225g). If this lasts 4-5 years (or longer? lifetime guarantee?) and the Easton bar only 2, it's probably a worthwhile investment.
Dante! What's up old friend?

I was thinking the same thing, BUT... that's a pretty big "if"...

Cool idea, but Jesus that's gotta be the most expensive set of bars I've seen.

I dropped $28 on my 08' Holzfeller bars, which weigh about 100g more (might go with the new 09' Holz. World Cups to save a bit of weight) but are super burly.

I guess if you want to be pimpin' you could get the Nuke Proof Ti bars and the Ti Commencal Gracia 4x frame (is that even going to production, or is it just for Ced?)

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
the fatigue life for Ti is off the charts....
Exactly. Theoretically one wouldn't have to replace those bars anywhere near as often as alu ones. Then again, when one is only changing their bars to keep up with the latest RM trends additional fatigue life is of no benefit.*

* So says the guy running the super-wide, low-rise Sunlines...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That caught my eye this morning but then I saw the price. Controltech has that expensive and heavier than a normal setup bow carbon bar/stem too.

I use to have a more traditional Ti Titec handlebar back in the day but it was priced sanely and later the Easton Scandium alloy riser.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
If they were 760 I'd get them for sure. I'd hope they had some inherant vibration damping of trail vibration. One draw back of running fatter stanchioned forks.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
If they were 760 I'd get them for sure. I'd hope they had some inherant vibration damping of trail vibration. One draw back of running fatter stanchioned forks.
they would, in theory, greatly reduce arm and hand fatigue much like carbon, but I don't think they would dissipate vibration as well as carbon.

carbon really is a great material for a handlebar application - minus the relatively soft surface. both are better than steel or aluminum in those areas.
fortunately the cost factor of carbon will always go down.......can't say the same for Ti.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not really impresed. 220g is not that crazy light for 710mm (easton monkey lite is similar in weight and half as cheap). Also who needs 710mm riser bars? ;)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
usually companies don't recall something because of internet rumors. I suspect that anybody complaining of theirs breaking over on mtbr was probably telling the truth.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I'm not sure if I would buy them. The price is over the top. I'd rather put that money into somewhere else on my bike that would improve performance more. The pedals look nice though.