Quantcast

Holy Crap, I Can See!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Saw the optometrist today. My vision was like a four layer cake...terrible up close, decent to about twenty feet, terrible to about 1000feet, and excellent from there to far distance. I will use contacts for riding, progressives for day to day, and readers for up close. PITA, but nice to see again!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Welcome back to the club.

Riding with glasses absolutely sucks. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't ride with contacts anymore.

I wish insurance or our healthcare covered even at least some of eye corrective surgery....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Saw the optometrist today. My vision was like a four layer cake...terrible up close, decent to about twenty feet, terrible to about 1000feet, and excellent from there to far distance. I will use contacts for riding, progressives for day to day, and readers for up close. PITA, but nice to see again!
too cheap to go get proper reading glasses...while i miss reading books.....audiobooks are pretty awesome.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I went to the eye doc a few months back to see if I could benefit from a new prescription. Nope, same as 20 years ago. I did order a shitload of glasses from zenni optical right after though...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Welcome back to the club.

Riding with glasses absolutely sucks. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't ride with contacts anymore.

I wish insurance or our healthcare covered even at least some of eye corrective surgery....
I paid 100% out of pocket 2 years ago for LASIK and it’s quite possibly the best thing I have ever done for myself. Took my -3.75 prescription to 20/15 vision.

10/10 would recommend.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey look its one more thread proving that the Lounge is getting old including myself :-(

So far it only reading that has become a challenge for me and I don't need then when riding - yet.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have been playing "Stick or Snake?" a lot more lately and I can't work out if my eyes are getting bad or I'm just riding so slowly that I get a chance to focus on things that I wouldn't have in the past.
Either way, getting old sucks.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Can they do with lasik what progressives do...fix limited ranges of near sightedness and far sightedness?
I'm under the impression that they can. But it's not ideal. My mom got it done a few years back so maybe they've gotten better. They do one eye for near and one eye for far.

Just telling you what I've heard Alex Jones screaming about. No personal experience.

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
For those of you that have had LASIK. Did the dr mention any thing about air flow and still needing to wear protective glasses. I’ve heard a few people say theirs said it’s a good idea to protect from wind entering the eyes. Dunno? Thought about getting it myself but was always worried about getting mud/crap in my eyes or the periodic branch slap to the face whilst riding..

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
For those of you that have had LASIK. Did the dr mention any thing about air flow and still needing to wear protective glasses. I’ve heard a few people say theirs said it’s a good idea to protect from wind entering the eyes. Dunno? Thought about getting it myself but was always worried about getting mud/crap in my eyes or the periodic branch slap to the face whilst riding..
Of course you should protect your eyes, if you've had surgery or not.

I had it done maybe 15 years ago (still 20/15!) and as I recall, your eyes are quick to heal after surgery. Eyes are resilient little machines. I did notice my eyes were dry in the weeks following surgery, but yea, they cut 'em and laser burned 'em. Dry I could deal with.

Still the best return for any money I've ever spent. As someone who's always worn glasses or contact, it was very liberating to be able to see WELL without anything.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Being near-sighted, doc said if I got lasik, that then one day my near vision would go and I'd have to get reading glasses. Said that shouldn't happen without lasik and when I can't focus on near stuff I can just take off my current glasses and should be good.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, with the temporary contacts, my middle vision is not MUCH better. I can read street signs again, etc...but anything backlit (store signs, headlights, etc) are all blurry. Is this normal? I see the eye doc again in a week...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So, with the temporary contacts, my middle vision is not MUCH better. I can read street signs again, etc...but anything backlit (store signs, headlights, etc) are all blurry. Is this normal? I see the eye doc again in a week...
Not sure.

Call the doc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I sometimes notice that this changes, depending on how my eyes feel. If the eyes are dry, vision might be slightly "off", compared to wearing glasses.

I only notice haziness or anything like that when I first put contacts in. But after they settle down, everything should be normal.

But yeah I'd get them checked out. You say temp contacts, what are those? They should be able to tune the fit and maybe adjust the optics to get it correct.