Quantcast

Holy crap I didn't know Helmet was still around! Playin in SF!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
they regrouped a year or so ago. not sure who is left from the original band outside paige. i liked the drummer (john stanier) quite a bit, but he might be playing w/ tomahawk now.

i liked them back in the day, but they lost steam. "born annoying" is still a ferocious 1st single, though, and _strap it on_ is a great record.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
they regrouped a year or so ago. not sure who is left from the original band outside paige. i liked the drummer (john stanier) quite a bit, but he might be playing w/ tomahawk now.

i liked them back in the day, but they lost steam. "born annoying" is still a ferocious 1st single, though, and _strap it on_ is a great record.
I think I'll still try and make it to the show...they are playing with someone called Chevelle? Know anything about them?

Also, question for you on the cd's you made for me...how much of that stuff is actually new ??? Like made in the last say...3-5 years?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Also, question for you on the cd's you made for me...how much of that stuff is actually new ??? Like made in the last say...3-5 years?
here are the "newer" ones:

brand nubian/automator - rockin' it
intermission II/mogwai - hunted by a freak
black keys - just couldn't tie me down
songs:ohia - tigress
driveby truckers - (something's got to give) pretty soon
RJD2 - the horror
kool keith and kut-masta kurt - the orchestrators
joe strummer and the mescaleros - coma girl
the libertines - the man who would be king
Arab strap - love detective
Super Furry animals - demons
The Streets - turn the page

never heard Chevelle, and am not that smitten w/ Tomahawk from what i've heard.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
dh girlie said:
Tomohawk...that's Mike Patton's 'new' band, right? I don't think I've heard anything from them...any good?
Yes, they are good. I like the 1st album best but the 2nd one is good too. They are on Patton's Ipecac label, you can find info on their web site.

FYI - the new Helmet is 50% old Helmet

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I heard a Tomahawk tune, don't remember what it was called, but I wasn't impressed. Chevelle has a few songs on the radio, not bad, not great, they pretty much sound like every other cookie cutter band coming out these days. One of the songs they say "seeing red again" over and over and over and over and over...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
here are the "newer" ones:

brand nubian/automator - rockin' it
intermission II/mogwai - hunted by a freak
black keys - just couldn't tie me down
songs:ohia - tigress
driveby truckers - (something's got to give) pretty soon
RJD2 - the horror
kool keith and kut-masta kurt - the orchestrators
joe strummer and the mescaleros - coma girl
the libertines - the man who would be king
Arab strap - love detective
Super Furry animals - demons
The Streets - turn the page

never heard Chevelle, and am not that smitten w/ Tomahawk from what i've heard.
SO! That supports my theory that there isn't much NEW music coming out that is worth listening to...don't get me wrong, I like about 98% of the stuff on the cds, just a couple songs I didn't get into.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
SO! That supports my theory that there isn't much NEW music coming out that is worth listening to...don't get me wrong, I like about 98% of the stuff on the cds, just a couple songs I didn't get into.
i wouldn't agree. remember that i used about 80 songs, and tried to tailor them to your tastes. if i was doing a cdr set for myself, i could easily fill a bunch of disks w/ stuff from the last 18 months or so, but i stayed away from indie pop (think Belle & Sebastian), acid folk (ie, Six Organs of Admittance, devendra banhart), electronic stuff (four tet, boards of canada), indie rock (Hood), or just plain weird stuff (dred foole, stuff from the jewelled antler collective like thuja, etc). also, it usually takes a bunch of listens for me to fully get into something, so that's another reason why a bunch of older stuff is on there.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
i wouldn't agree. remember that i used about 80 songs, and tried to tailor them to your tastes. if i was doing a cdr set for myself, i could easily fill a bunch of disks w/ stuff from the last 18 months or so, but i stayed away from indie pop (think Belle & Sebastian), acid folk (ie, Six Organs of Admittance, devendra banhart), electronic stuff (four tet, boards of canada), indie rock (Hood), or just plain weird stuff (dred foole, stuff from the jewelled antler collective like thuja, etc). also, it usually takes a bunch of listens for me to fully get into something, so that's another reason why a bunch of older stuff is on there.

Well nonetheless...good job on cd's! :thumb: thanks again...I WILL scan the covers soon for posting...I swear!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
dh girlie said:
on a friggin Monday night, but still...Helmet has to be one of the best bands ever!

LOL... I though this was gonna be a post about you playing around on your bike while wearing a real old helmet.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
yep! saw them last month at the boulder theatre! great show; goo dmix of old and new stuff.

new album (wow, that dates me.....) is good, but a bit mellow compared to much of the older stuff.