Quantcast

holy crap, I'm a father.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You don't. You do NOT wake a sleeping baby if there are no concerns regarding growth.
Does anyone wake their kids for any reason?

My wife is letting our son sleep all day and I'm regularly up with him for a couple hours in the middle of the night trying to calm him down.

I'm thinking that she should keep him up for a few hours during the day. Bad idea or will it help him at night?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
lol @ yr custom title. :D

Newborns sleep a lot. They need to feed regularly too. Sometimes you need to wake them to feed them. It goes away fast.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
lol @ yr custom title. :D

Newborns sleep a lot. They need to feed regularly too. Sometimes you need to wake them to feed them. It goes away fast.
Yeah, Brian keeps changing my title based on how much he's been drinking.

I know they sleep a lot, but twice this week, he slept ALL day* and those nights were the worst.

* even feeding, he was apparently half asleep.

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to force him to be awake for a few hours during the daylight and if that'd help at night?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Yeah, Brian keeps changing my title based on how much he's been drinking.

I know they sleep a lot, but twice this week, he slept ALL day* and those nights were the worst.

* even feeding, he was apparently half asleep.

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to force him to be awake for a few hours during the daylight and if that'd help at night?

Yeah, the wife wouldn't let me let them sleep all day. It is fine to get them up during the day to try and set their clocks to sleep longer at night.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I woke two of my kids this morning in order to get dressed, get breakfast, brush their teeth and get to school. :dead:

My wife is letting our son sleep all day and I'm regularly up with him for a couple hours in the middle of the night trying to calm him down.

I'm thinking that she should keep him up for a few hours during the day. Bad idea or will it help him at night?
May or may not. Try it and let us know! :D

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
She shouldn't be letting him sleep all day IMHO. "Sleep, eat, play" is the cycle even when they are as young as yours. The goal is to have your child sleeping through the night and it's not going to happen when the kid's sleeping the day away. You'll eventually start eliminating feedings and stretching the play/awake times to where the child is eating 4-5 times during the day and sleeping for 10 or so hours at night.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
She shouldn't be letting him sleep all day IMHO. "Sleep, eat, play" is the cycle even when they are as young as yours. The goal is to have your child sleeping through the night and it's not going to happen when the kid's sleeping the day away. You'll eventually start eliminating feedings and stretching the play/awake times to where the child is eating 4-5 times during the day and sleeping for 10 or so hours at night.
Cool. I think she's been letting him sleep the last few days as she's been exhausted from caring for him to recovering from surgery.

Yeah, the wife wouldn't let me let them sleep all day. It is fine to get them up during the day to try and set their clocks to sleep longer at night.
Thanks for the insight.
i'm happy for you and all. i'm just wondering if this thread will still be on the front page when Opie jr has learned how to read.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/miracle_of_birth_occurs_for_83
My sincere apologies, I'll shut up now.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Cool. I think she's been letting him sleep the last few days as she's been exhausted from caring for him to recovering from surgery.
Yeah that's pretty tough. My wife had a C-section also and it took her quite a long time to recover. I took off a week from work and then her Mom came the next week, plus my parents lived in town when Sarah was born so that really helped.

I started getting up for the middle of the night feedings (breast milk from that days pumping operation) so that my wife could get more sleep at night. Might want to consider doing something like that. She'll still be tired during the day though...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA

Our daughter is just over one now. We would wake her during the day to try to get her on a schedule that worked for both her AND us. As the months go on don't let the baby nap too long in to the afternoon, or he won't go to sleep at bedtime.

However, just make sure he's getting enough sleep to keep the him healthy. You can generally tell if they've had enough sleep by their level of crankiness.