Quantcast

Holy crap it's finally done! (Enduro S-Works)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Got the Deemax yesterday and started building this thing up finally.

(They are the new style rim not like the 823 FWIW) The Saint axle kit from Mavic is really trick, you can swap between the std bolt-on axle and the Saint axle in about 2 mins flat. Same goes for the front hub, you can make it QR in ten seconds with 2 little adapters.

The Specialized tires mounted up well and I was able to inflate the rear tire with a hand pump but I needed the compressor to seat the front tire initially. These tires are sweet, they are about 1000gm's I think and really large with a fairly thick sidewall and aggressive tread.

The Hopes mounted up easily although as is to be expected they don't hook up for poop yet because they aren't burned in. The setup on these brakes is too simple and the lever feel is awesome.

The Firefly feels stiffer than the past two Sherman's I've had so I think it has a firm spring in it, Manitou did tell me that it shipped with a steel spring because they were out of the Ti ones and they are sending me a Ti one ASAP, I seem to remember that the Ti springs only come in medium which is perfect for me.

I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet but I can tell it's at or below my estimate of 34lbs. just by picking it up. Although it has 6" of travel front and rear, it pedals 100% as good as my old bike which was only 4" and a few pounds lighter. The overall feel is more trail-bike than hardcore freeride but that's exactly what I was looking for.

*Bling* :drool:

I am going to ride it all day tomorrow and I will have a full report after that! :D

:thumb:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Wow! Very nice parts selection. Looks like a lot of fun to ride, I have my heckler set up in a similar fashion.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
looks sweet sean!
are you looking to sell it? i have a client in the states owing me the balance of twelve thousand dollars. he will send you the check, you take five thousand, and send me the balance along with the bike ;)

riding all day = lucky!
condition of trails here = crappy

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
MR wheels of square, The pleasure is being all mine on this ecstatic transaction of financial goodness. Please to be letting your client known that I shall indeed embark upon this offer of yours in a timely manner of course.

TCoop924, I'm not sure and frankly I don't really want to know. I can say that I sold my DH and XC bike to get the money though. The frame alone retails for like $2,200 :eek:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
OGRipper said:
One word: PIMP.

That's the finest example of the new-school-mid-travel-not-too-heavy-but-still-burly rides I've seen yet. Nice job.
That's exactly what I was going for...well, in not so many words. :D ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Just weighed it at the Spokesman and it's one pube over 34lbs. Weightweenie.com rules!

So that confirms that the frame is ~7.5lbs w/shock.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Wait...What the hell....those rims don't have UST grommets....are those tubless rims????or are the just regular rims....I'm very confused....If they are tubeless...how do they seal using traditional nipples....WTF is going on...am i missing something??

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Sweet ride...man that looks way more slack than I thought it would. Seems like an awesome all mountain bike/free ride rig. Makes me want to go get my old enduro back and ride it until it breaks so that I can warranty it lol... :sneaky:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Monkeybidnezz said:
Sweet ride...man that looks way more slack than I thought it would. Seems like an awesome all mountain bike/free ride rig. Makes me want to go get my old enduro back and ride it until it breaks so that I can warranty it lol... :sneaky:
I do have the slack shock-shuttle installed (68.5º) but it really doesn't feel too slack. I haven't measured the true angle but I bet it's about 68º. I can steepen it by 1º by changing out the shuttle if I wanted to and the fork also compresses to 110mm for climbing etc. which makes the HTº about 70º which is plenty steep as far as I'm concerned. The steering is by no means slow or unresponsive.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
I do have the slack shock-shuttle installed (68.5º) but it really doesn't feel too slack. I haven't measured the true angle but I bet it's about 68º. I can steepen it by 1º by changing out the shuttle if I wanted to and the fork also compresses to 110mm for climbing etc. which makes the HTº about 70º which is plenty steep as far as I'm concerned. The steering is by no means slow or unresponsive.
DUDE!
We are going to be the latest in fashion up on the UC trails! My Nicolai frame just came in to the distributor down south. I'll prolly have it built up by mid next week!
Your bike is fVcking so tits man! I want to try it out!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'll be out there all day tomorrow with Doss (scurban) and Peter (Bacardi) and his GF. We will be riding all over the UC side. If you feel like bringing the Heckler out, call me, I think you have my number, if not PM me and I'll give it to you.

I can't wait to see the Nicolai built up!

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
nice rig man, I hope to see you rockin' the drop at the top of dead campers on that new rig come May when I get to town.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
The Specialized tires mounted up well and I was able to inflate the rear tire with a hand pump but I needed the compressor to seat the front tire initially. These tires are sweet, they are about 1000gm's I think and really large with a fairly thick sidewall and aggressive tread.
Sweet ride, man. Question: What size are those tires? I'm looking for some bigger (2.4-2.6) semi-light UST's. Seems like most of the tubeless options are in 2 categories heavy as hell, or too f-ing small.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ they are big 2.4's. What you described is what I wanted and these seem to fit the bill. I'll report on the performance tomorrow.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Ronny Grady said:
nice rig man, I hope to see you rockin' the drop at the top of dead campers on that new rig come May when I get to town.
I hope so too! I haven't hit that thing since that day we ran into each other out there. I rarely ride DC, let alone on a big bike. I think it will happen though :D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Incubus,
Nope, still waiting. I just didn't want to sacrifice riding in the mean time. I will be selling this brand new '05 Firefly as soon as the 36 comes through. I'll be looking to get $500 for the Sherman with minimal use on it ($750 retail). That's why i left the steerer kinda long... (spam :p )

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am for sure riding tomorrow. I thought Max and Scott were going tomorrow? Knowing Max he'll probably be out there both days :D

I think I need to work on my truck on Sunday but I'll play it by ear...