Quantcast

Holy crap it's finally done! (Enduro S-Works)

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Nice review, I like hearing about hand picked and built project bikes like yours. One question, I went back a few pages since you swapped to the 36 and perhaps I missed it, what is the new current weight of the rig?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The 36 and Firefly weigh the same within a few tenths of a lb. So the complete bike is still ~34lb. I wish Fox had been able to hit the sub-5lb mark like they thought but I think it really is more like ~5.3lb.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
PunkAss,

How is the bike holding up ?

Comments on it now the riding season is in full swing ?

Have you made further changes to the build ?

Any action pics ?

Also, is anyone aware if a Romic will fit the SX ? (for DH riding)

I'm thinking of going Enduro w/ Atomlab quicksteps and a 36VAN or 36RC2 in the new 06 black color.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
No changes. Everything works perfect for the most part. I would like to get a DHX air though once they are available since the 5th leaves a little to be desired. It's a good shock but not a great shock IMO. It pedals VERY well but lacks sensitivity somewhat. It suits the intended use of the bike well but I'd like to be able to turn the platform down or off for DH runs.

I've been riding the piss out of the bike and loving every minute! :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
punkassean said:
No changes. Everything works perfect for the most part. I would like to get a DHX air though once they are available since the 5th leaves a little to be desired. It's a good shock but not a great shock IMO. It pedals VERY well but lacks sensitivity somewhat. It suits the intended use of the bike well but I'd like to be able to turn the platform down or off for DH runs.

I've been riding the piss out of the bike and loving every minute! :D
Plus you can't change the bottom out so you can run the proper sag/small bump performance and not bottom the hell out of it when you hit some medium-sized drops :angry:

I've been spoiled by 5th Element, DHX, and Swingers :D

MTBMichigan

Chimp
Jun 2, 2004
Michigan
Does your Progressive do what mine does? I noticed mine is great for XC, but has little rebound damping at all. I rode my Enduro Pro at Mohican DH and it was great up front and over small stuff, but the rebound on the rear was still a little much for me, even cranked down all the way. Plus, being a bigger guy, when I get it setup for XC, it is way too stiff for DH.

I was thinking of going to a coil of some kind, but can't decide.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Haven't had any issues with my rebound damping, but I weight about 150 lbs, so I don't think the shock performance will be the same.

I think the DHX Air will be the answer to our problems. Its very similiar to the coil version in functionality other than it has an air spring instead of a coil one.

I think the current ETA is July???

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MTBMichigan said:
Will it fit the frame?
Yes.

From emptybeer:

Hi,

My name is Jason Chamberlain and I am an engineer at Specialized. I'd like to take a moment to clarify many of the comments made on this thread.

Yes, we do read forums regularly and respond where appropriate.

All 2005 Enduro frames (except the SX) are compatible with either the 5th Element Air shock or the remote resi Coil shock. Warranty is NOT void if you switch shocks.

Yes, the 5th Element air shock is custom. This is a good thing. We insisted on major improvements to make the shock bombproof - such as increased bearing overlap, better materials and alignment and side-load control to name a few. We sell thousands of bikes more than the boutique brands and would never spec a shock that didn�t live up to our standards.

Additionally, the spring curve and damping characteristics are custom for the Enduro. Don�t forget � this Progressive Air shock is the ONLY long travel air shock with position sensitive damping. It is the perfect bump-eating match to this Chassis.

Of course there can be problems with anything mechanical. For anyone who has a problem with any of our shocks, we will warranty them directly so that you don�t have to wait for Fox or Progressive to rebuild them for you. Contact your LBS or Specialized Customer Service.

For those wanting to change from Progressive Air to Coil (or vice versa), shocks are available directly from Progressive. You�ll also need to get the correct spherical spacers and resi mount brackets from your LBS or Specialized Customer Service.

The only other shock approved for use with the Enduro is the Fox DHX Air which will be available after-market from Fox in a few months.

Enjoy the ride!

Jason C

Current DHX 5.0 will fit in the slack position, as long as it is the newer version with the recessed IFP filler valve. You will also have to get SX trail spherical spacers from SBC and should grind down one edge just a touch for a perfect fit. A little challenging, but it can be done

The best idea is to wait for Fox to deliver their complete Enduro aftermarket package which will include a shock that fits in both positions and the correct spacer.

JC

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have the EXACT same issues and I weigh about the same as Sydasti. With the rebound at full "slow" it's not enough for my preference. I also suffer from not being able to find a sweet spot as far pedaling efficiency and DH performance. That's why a DHX with externally adjustable Pro-Pedal seems to be the hot ticket. They should be available any day now (fingers crossed).

The only other shock that might fit is an Avalanche Chubby or Woody. Although I think the eyelets would need to be modified to fit the Enduro but at least the stroke and i-2-i is the same.

FWIW: I had been told by a reliable source that Fox tested and a 8.75x2.75" shock would fit on the new Enduro (making 170mm rear travel) but after checking on my frame I can't see how that can be because at full compression the link is just about touching the pass through in the seat tube for the shock. With an extra .25" of stroke it would surely contact. I could see fitting a 9x2.75" but that would steepen the HTº somewhat and it's already steep enough IMO.

I am just going with the DHX air because a quality 6" is plenty for me although I bet the Avy would be VERY nice.

MTBMichigan said:
Does your Progressive do what mine does? I noticed mine is great for XC, but has little rebound damping at all. I rode my Enduro Pro at Mohican DH and it was great up front and over small stuff, but the rebound on the rear was still a little much for me, even cranked down all the way. Plus, being a bigger guy, when I get it setup for XC, it is way too stiff for DH.

I was thinking of going to a coil of some kind, but can't decide.

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
I'm gonna get an different shock for my SX Trail. The 5'th really annoys me.

Am I right in saying that the shock size is 8.5x2.5? I just want to be sure.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I believe it's 8.75x2.5" (that's what the air 5th on my Enduro is) and it requires custom mounting hardware. At this point, short of doing some custom machining a Fox DHX Air will be the only other option and they are not quite available yet but should be very soon.

TamaSKA

Chimp
Sep 26, 2003
London, UK
im in love with your bike sean... :heart: :D

that is amazing. for me a bike like this would be just enough for everything

im trying to build up something similar from a Yeti asx '02 and a RS pike. i hope the frame arrives soon, if anybody lives in denver area and know Zach (zstyle_22 ) might tell him that a dude far away in europe is waiting for it to arrive :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
We would have been running the same bike if i wasn't so damn broke this year.:)

i'm thinking with luck and money next year i'll be runnin that SC Nomad with a 36. But next year is quite a ways away.

Looks like the ticket with enough dough is to have a stable of 4-6-8-and 10 inch travel bikes and you'd pretty much had every ride dialed. Personally i don't think i'd ever get a 10 though, i don't race and i don't do anything to justify that much travel. But i'd love to have a sub 30 lb 4 inch and a bike like yours.
There's alot of net jargon calling these bikes "all-mountain". It's pretty funny how the industry labels stuff. pnj calls all mountain bikes "clown bikes". i think that's more accurate.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Skookum said:
We would have been running the same bike if i wasn't so damn broke this year.:)

i'm thinking with luck and money next year i'll be runnin that SC Nomad with a 36. But next year is quite a ways away.
Go with the Enduro 150/SX, its is a better designed frame and not as ugly - at least compared to the prototype Nomad...

Also Ironhorse is rumored to make a 7x7" air bike - that should be a really awesome option :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
syadasti said:
its is a better designed frame and not as ugly - at least compared to the prototype Nomad...
Exactly its the prototype so it's pretty unfair to talk of design, and i really don't care about looks. But at the same time who know if this bike will even see production, with Santa Cruz it's really hard to say. The future is the future, i'll still lean towards working for an all VPP XC stable.

But don't get me wrong i really love the new Enduro, i think Seans build is spot on. But i think Specialized wants too much for their bikes now. To go from a blowout price on Enduro's to asking for "Kona" or "Ellsworth" prices in a year stinks. Too much money i'll take my chump change to a smaller company that can justify such a price jack.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Don't forget though that with Specialized you won't be paying the full advertised retail. They really only publish that figure so that once you go to the dealer you are more willing to purchase a bike when you see it advertised for less than full MSRP. In fact most companies do that same thing, Santa Cruz included.

My ONLY gripe with the Nomad is the reduced standover for the sake of retro styling. The Enduro is a similar beast but IMO it's more practical. I don't know the weight of the Nomad but the Enduro frame with a 5th air is ~7.5# and with a DHX air it's ~8#. The Nomad might be a tad lighter (not sure though) but I doubt if it's quite as strong and I know it doesn't have a lifetime warranty.

Just a few points to ponder.... :)

Apollo_K

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Ay, I'd just like to say that I just ordered my Enduro Pro today! :D
Can't wait to get her, thanks to this thread I now know that I will be able to fit a coil shock on that puppy without voiding the warrenty. Thanks!

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
How are those new Deemax holden out? Do they feel like they roll like a light weight wheelset?

Just wondering, thanks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
With the Specialized tubeless 2.4 tires on there they roll really nice. they are not very heavy considering their strength. I'd love a set of Crossmax XL's with some ~2.2's for trail riding but even as is it's great.

MTBMichigan

Chimp
Jun 2, 2004
Michigan
Any other updates? I am really liking mine. It holds its own in a variety of conditions and is very fun to ride.

What was the name of the guy from Specialized on this board? I would like to ask him a couple of questions.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am pretty familiar with the Specialized line, do your questions relate to product/specs? If so I can probably answer them.

I'm really liking mine too but I want a more adjustable rear shock. The 5th lacks DH performance.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
punkassean said:
I am pretty familiar with the Specialized line, do your questions relate to product/specs? If so I can probably answer them.

I'm really liking mine too but I want a more adjustable rear shock. The 5th lacks DH performance.
i agree.
my fifth on my SXT is not impressing me at all. i'm gonna try to slap a 6way swinger from my old bighit and see what happens(2.75x8.75). if that doesnt feel good either, im going to get a dhx with a ti spring, or dhx air.

what size shock do they use on the regular SX(red and black)? i'm thinking about getting that to have around, and then getting a sherman 110/150 up front and have a more adjustable bike

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Don't use the Big Hit shock, it will most likely interfere with the frame on compression. It may clear with the steep shock shuttle installed but at least cycle it w/o the spring to be sure first.

The regular (4.2" travel) SX uses a 7.5x1.75". I really like that frame too. Remeber that the Sherman can't be ridden hard in the 110 setting, it's not meant for that, it's just for climbing. In that regard a 36 or PIKE would be better.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
punkassean said:
Don't use the Big Hit shock, it will most likely interfere with the frame on compression. It may clear with the steep shock shuttle installed but at least cycle it w/o the spring to be sure first.

The regular (4.2" travel) SX uses a 7.5x1.75". I really like that frame too. Remeber that the Sherman can't be ridden hard in the 110 setting, it's not meant for that, it's just for climbing. In that regard a 36 or PIKE would be better.

hmmm i totally didnt even think about the pike.

whats the general thought on that fork? strong enough for hard fr? i like the 66 cause its super smooth, and confidence inspiring.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
[Veering off topic...]

punkassean said:
Remeber that the Sherman can't be ridden hard in the 110 setting, it's not meant for that, it's just for climbing. In that regard a 36 or PIKE would be better.
Funny, to me it's almost the exact opposite. I don't like the 110 setting for regular trail riding or technical climbing because it has zero small bump sensitivity, but it works fine for jumping, urban, and other "hard" riding... :confused: But anyway yeah the 36 or a pike is probably better...I'm just too lazy to do anything with my sherman.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I heard the Sherman's travel adjust can easily break if the fork is used hard in the 110mm setting? That's what I was referring to anyway.

As far as the PIKE goes, I've heard good things about it with one exception. I recently heard it referred to a the SPIKE because the rider who said that felt that it spiked somewhat. Don't know if that was the coil or air version though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
punkassean said:
I heard the Sherman's travel adjust can easily break if the fork is used hard in the 110mm setting? That's what I was referring to anyway.
Hmm, that makes sense, it's just a mechanical lockdown. Not sure about "easily" but rebounding off a really hard hit could probably break the whatchamacallit that stops it from rebounding to 150. Hasn't been a problem for me and my lard ass so far...I had one unrelated problem and they took care of it right away.

Anyway, to get back on topic: Sean's bike is super neato!! :thumb: :D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
burke said:
hi everybody,i hope im not going off topic with this one...
i've had an 05 enduro for about six months and recently i noticed that the shock
sits a few millimeters further towards the left where it passes through the frame.it
seems to be working ok at the moment.is this normal?
thanks.
Yeah that's normal. Mine is that way also. The shock has a spherical bearing at the front mount to allow for misalignment. This is a great feature since frames are NEVER perfectly straight and even if they were they all flex somewhat when riding and the few mm's of misalignment that the spherical bearing compensates for dramatically reduces wear on the shock bushings and seals.

Notice how you can slightly twist the shock can with your hand.

MTBMichigan

Chimp
Jun 2, 2004
Michigan
punkassean said:

I am pretty familiar with the line as well. I was just looking to see if they had any input on what we are dealing with on the adjustability of the sock. I was also wondering if they had any other tips on setting it up to get the desired performance in the mean time until the DHX Air is available.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Unfortunately they don't really. In fact there isn't even a service or tech manual for this shock since it's custom for the Enduro as far as valving etc. The closest thing would be the "Gravity Series" line of large volume air shocks from Progressive which is what the Enduro shock is based off of. Call Progressive and see if they have a manual they can send you. Last time I checked in with them they didn't have one yet. Don't go by the manual that came with the bike it's for the XC 5th air and the psi's are way off. I am wondering what the safest minimum we can run in ours is because if it's less than 50 that might help a lot.