Quantcast

Holy crap it's finally done! (Enduro S-Works)

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
great review. love that bike.

i bought some of those specialized tires a while back. i needed something cheap and quick and they happened to be instock at the LBS so i bought them. I liked the sticky compound and the light weight. until i read your post, i was embarrased to say that i like them. Im a parts whore and in this world of trendy, niche' products, liking something so OEM is tabu. ive gotta buy tires for the first race next week and "shhhh ... im buying the specialized tires."

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Did you get the Enduro 2.3's that come OEM on the bikes or did you get the Pro 2Bliss 2.4"?

If you got the 2.4's then you have nothing to be ashamed of, they are dual compound with a 120TPI casing, by all accounts those are some nice specs!

Nobody else has a trailbike tire as good as these, I have tried almost all of them and none have the same mix of features and performance. Especially for the $42.99 sticker price.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
punkassean said:
Did you get the Enduro 2.3's that come OEM on the bikes or did you get the Pro 2Bliss 2.4"?

If you got the 2.4's then you have nothing to be ashamed of, they are dual compound with a 120TPI casing, by all accounts those are some nice specs!

Nobody else has a trailbike tire as good as these, I have tried almost all of them and none have the same mix of features and performance. Especially for the $42.99 sticker price.
shoot man, i dont even know. i think they were the specialized pro 24" 2.6. it was damn near the size of a Nokian. the tires im about to buy are for downhill use on easy, single track terrain so im wanting a lighter 2.35-ish tire. they have the 60 duro in the middle and the 40-something on the sides. pretty cool.

i was kinda kidding about the embarrasement, i just was expecting to get a rubber tire and it was soo much more. a good surprise for sure.

joel

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I know what you mean, I usually run Maxxis or Michi's but like these I have had good luck with Specialized tires in the past. Especially their DH tires. :D

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
How's the casing on the Specialized tires? I've had sketchy experience with large-air-volume-but-light tires ... Bontrager's Earl specifically. A stiff casing isn't just about pinch flats, it's about corning and trust as well.

Pip840

Chimp
Mar 21, 2005
New York
Sick man, my enduro expert is hopefully coming at the end of the month, it's not gonna live up to the s-works but it gives me hope!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The casing is actually burly because it's a UST tire. Most UST tires are much thicker than a regular tire. I totally know what you mean about the large/thin tires thing. I tried running some WTB single-ply tires in 2.4 and 2.5" sizes and in order to keep the tire from folding over on itself I had to run so much pressure that the traction went to crap. I run wide rims though and that helps a lot with keeping the tires from rolling over. I am running about mid to high 20's PSI wise in the Specialized tires and they are nice and stiff under my 155lbs of load.

Pip840-

The expert is rad because it already has a 36 on it, in hindsight I kinda wish I would have just got that bike and slapped some Deemax and an e.13 on it and called it a day. I just ordered a 36RC2 for mine! :D

It's a sick bike, you will love yours! post some pics once you get it.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i'm really thinking about getting an 05 enduro. Originally i was looking at the SX-Trail, but since all the frames are the same, im thinking about getting an Enduro Pro or Expert-not sure if i want to change out the cranks on the Expert(to saint or xt, prob saint), but also i plan on selling the xtr rear and getting a saint as well(very similar build to yours)...the main deciding factor is should i get the Pro cause it has the 36 RC2, or should i use the extra money from buying an Expert, and get the wheels/saint/ect...also, i love the color of the pro :p
decisions, decisions...

also if i got either one of those id prob buy an avy(never tried one, and want that bottemless travel feel), or go with a new DHX 5....and still keep the 5th element to do weekend trail rides.

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
SX Trail... it's a rad downhill bike for a technical rider.

And some initial testing, aha.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
PGR-

If you put an 8.75x2.75" stroke shock on there you can get 6.6" with no geometry change (except at full compression) and no frame interference. Nice pics, nice bike!

You could build one of these to be a 36-37 lb DH race bike with about 150mm travel front and rear!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
sama1ter said:
i'm really thinking about getting an 05 enduro. Originally i was looking at the SX-Trail, but since all the frames are the same, im thinking about getting an Enduro Pro or Expert-not sure if i want to change out the cranks on the Expert(to saint or xt, prob saint), but also i plan on selling the xtr rear and getting a saint as well(very similar build to yours)...the main deciding factor is should i get the Pro cause it has the 36 RC2, or should i use the extra money from buying an Expert, and get the wheels/saint/ect...also, i love the color of the pro :p
decisions, decisions...

also if i got either one of those id prob buy an avy(never tried one, and want that bottemless travel feel), or go with a new DHX 5....and still keep the 5th element to do weekend trail rides.
The two shock thing is a good idea but it's kinda hard to change the shock on this bike because of the configuration of the rear shock mount. There are conical washers to allow for misalignment that all fit together really tight and it's sort of a balancing act to not spill them all over the floor :D

If you get an Enduro you will be stoked!

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah, mine weighs 37.5 pounds.

About the shock. I don't really want more travel... I have been thinking of putting my old Avalanche on it though; getting it resized. But I found out that Specialized had made this brilliant solution, where they mount the shock and pivot on the same axle. And this axle is of a larger diameter than normal eyelets. So only the "custom" made 5'th shocks fit on there. Or tell me if I am wrong?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The thing is nobody makes the same size shock as stock except Avy that I have found. With any other shock you have to choose between a 8.75x2.75" or an 8.5x2.5" compared to the stock 8.75x2.5". With the 8.5x2.5" you'd get the same 6" of travel but the BB would be a tad lower and the HT a tad more slack. Maybe that's the call for your DH-esque setup? The Avy "chubie or woody" comes in the correct size though so that's a great option albeit semi-heavy.

I think the rear shock mount just uses special hardware in the form of the conical misalignment washers and the thru-bolt. I think you just need to be sure to get a shock that has the same size eyelet (sans DU bushing) as stock and you can reuse the factory hardware. otherwise have something machined custom.

I really want to try a DHX w/Ti spring on mine but I am really digging the way yours is setup and I think it would be even better with another .6" of compression to more closely match the 7" Slider but that's just me. :)

BTW: How did you make those yellow decal overlays so accurately?

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
I stopped at Supergo, Oceanside today. Saw Demo 8 with Fox 40 $4400, Demo 9 $5500 (Too much bike too much money) and Enduro Pro with Fox 36 $3300. I want them both...sigh.

Enduro Pro is light as a feather :love:

I was hoping to see a 7.7 and a SX Trail. Neither was there.

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Stickers; It's made from sticky vinyl. I think 3M makes it. First put a clear layer on. Then draw with a black pen to outline the lighting bolts. Then take it off, stick it on top of some yellow vinyl. Cut it with a scalpel. Then take the yellow, stick it on top of some white vinyl. Cut about 1mm from the edge of the yellow. Then stick it all on the bike and put a layer of clear over it for protection.

Btw; my Slider is the 150mm version. So it matches the rear nicely.

MTBMichigan

Chimp
Jun 2, 2004
Michigan
This thread was one of the reasons I broke down and got an Enduro Pro. I have an e13 on it now, but everything else is pretty good right out of the box. I tihnk it will be a good bike for Michigan, and the local courses.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I really like the brown color of the Pro model. My 36 should arrive tomorrow or Friday, can't wait to check it out! Have you had much saddle time yet?

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I got an Enduro Expert a couple weeks ago. I am just able to start riding it now. So far it's great. It's gonna be a while until I can get all that I can out of the bike. I had surgery on my knee two months ago. The doc ok'd light riding, and hopefully in another month or two I can get into it a little more.

I've been riding some mellow trails just to get everything broken in and dialed. It's so frustrating not to be able to open it up, but I'm just really glad I can ride a bit.

MTBMichigan

Chimp
Jun 2, 2004
Michigan
punkassean said:
I really like the brown color of the Pro model. My 36 should arrive tomorrow or Friday, can't wait to check it out! Have you had much saddle time yet?
No real saddle time yet. If everything goes right I will test it at Mohican Sunday. It is pretty light, which makes it feel wierd. My last bike was a Recoil that was ten pounds heavier. I am hoping it will be okay for all the local dh stuff.

The bike now has the front derailleur removed and an e13 in its place.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Why not a DRS. Like you said, the bike is only 32lbs so why not keep some of the versatility? MY DRS holds the chain as good as an SRS does.

MTBMichigan

Chimp
Jun 2, 2004
Michigan
punkassean said:
Why not a DRS. Like you said, the bike is only 32lbs so why not keep some of the versatility? MY DRS holds the chain as good as an SRS does.
I already had the SRS. That is really the only reason that I took the derailleur off. Besides, if I can get back into any decent shape, I can pretty much ride my favorite Michigan xc trails in the middle ring.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Got the 36 mounted and have taken a few rides on it. Too early for serious impressions but I can say that it is stiff and active. I haven't messed too much with the 2-stage compression yet, I am running both wide open and I think about 75psi in the air chamber.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
bikeCOLORADO said:
Dead sexy man...what's she weigh?
34# exactly.

Lefty- EVERYTHING is for sale, the question is how much. :D

OG- I will report feedback as I gather impressions. I will ride again tomorrow some, maybe I'll gather some info then.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
punkassean said:
34# exactly.

Lefty- EVERYTHING is for sale, the question is how much. :D

OG- I will report feedback as I gather impressions. I will ride again tomorrow some, maybe I'll gather some info then.

If you got a hot momma or a hot sister :drool: i wanna buy her.. :love:

;)

Mirra

Chimp
Mar 30, 2005
@punkassean

Can you tell more about the 36RC2 Fork in the Enduro? How does it work and is the HT° still the same?

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Has any of you guy's with these new Enduro's/S works frames dripping with trickery have the chance to ride a 6 Pack or RFX?

Kinda wondering how they stack up. Thanks

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have not had a chance to ride a 6-pack but given the opportunity I'd have strongly considered buying one instead of my Enduro. I'm sure they are awesome.

I am very curious to ride a bike with ICT and compare it to a non-ICT horst 4-bar to see if it really does make a huge difference. I can tell you that my Enduro pedals very well, I don't know how much of that is the platform shock or the linkage design but the end result is very good. This bike pedals and coasts just like my old bike which was 3.5lbs lighter with a few inches less travel.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Okay I have gotten quite a few rides (and one DH race) now on both the bike and the 36. I feel very confident saying that this bike is the best do-it-all bike I've ever ridden. I have had many 4-6" travel bikes and none have felt as good in all conditions as this Enduro. I rode some incredibly steep fireroads (Henry Coe) last week that I have had trouble making in the past (tire slip, wandering front wheel etc) and the Enduro climbed every section slowly and methodically. The seat tube angle is nice and steep and with the fork cranked down it makes climbing a breeze as long as you have patience. It doesn't bob any more than some old 3-4" FSR's I've owned, the flipside is that progressive shock is not exactly active on small stuff but it does open up on big stuff and feel very good (read: saves your ass). I am running the minimum psi for the platform and approximately my body weight in the main chamber. I still want to try a DHX air in the future for comparison, I think a fully active rear shock would make this bike very fun for shuttles and DH riding.

One of the coolest things about the redesigned frame is that there is a lot more room to adjust the seat height. I know a lot of the best riders don't move their seat more than a few inches from climbing to descending but I prefer to slam the seat for going down and this bike can do that. One of the reasons I went to a Kona originally was because of the un-interrupted seat tube, I was sick of having two seperate seat/post combos for DH or XC on my old Specialized's. The new frame gives you as much up and down movement as you could possibly need.

The fork is just breaking in and it feels incredible. It is very smooth (coil-like) and with the compression adjustments (and bottom out bumper) it ramps up nicely, I have yet to bottom it out. It is also every bit as stiff as any DC fork I've ever owned, the tracking is insane compared to my old 5" TALAS which I used to regard as relatively stiff. I feel every bit as comfortable on this fork as I did on my Sherman Slider.

In the words of OG hisself, the new Endizzle is da shizzle my nizzle :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Get a room, your PDA is making us uncomfortable. :D

Heh. Seriously, that rig is way impressive. Major props for the awesome build. Proper wheels and tires, thru-axle fork, adjustability, super capable but not heavy. A lot of people yammer on about wanting a rig that will do everything but it's pretty unusual to hear someone rave about climbing performance AND descending confidence in the same review. Nice job. :thumb: :thumb:

On the 5th air, it's hard to find that sweet spot and you're right, the best setting just might be "DHX Air." Not sure how much you've messd with it but you might try a little less air in the main chamber and a touch more in the CV/T chamber. I nailed a good setting for my blur that gives pretty good small bump performance without being too soft once it opens up. I'm 200 lbs and run 185 in the main chamber and about 75 in the CV/t. At 200 psi (my weight) in main chamber it's ridiculous.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I will play with the air settings some more but as is I might even need to add some to the main chamber since I can bottom it out on larger hits. Anyway, I got a few PM's asking specifically about the 36 so I figured I'd post my thoughts here so anybody who cared could read instead of just one person.... :)