Quantcast

Holy crap, that's some good salsa.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So 2 years ago I came up with a pretty good mango habanero salsa recipe. I hadn't made it in a while and was craving it. So I picked up a bunch today and started making.

It was OK, but not stunning. So I looked in the fridge and POW!

2 mangos
2 habs
8 strawberries
3 Roma tomatoes (couldn't find yellow tomatoes)
1/2 cup walla walla onion
1/2 cup cilantro
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tblsp olive oil

Now I love habs with mango, but adding the strawberry put it over the top. I would like to add 2 more habs, but the wife couldn't handle it. This has awesome flavor and not too much heat.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Interesting. I like the walla walla idea. I've got about 50 in the yard that need eaten. I usually use shallots in uncooked stuff but the sweet onion might be good.

I do a kiwi salsa:
Kiwis
Jicama
Shallot
lime juice
jalapeno
shot of Patron

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn, kiwi would be good. I have always liked the tropical fruits with habs because they go so well together. I also saw a recipe that grilled the peppers with some fruit, then made the salsa.

I still have about 30 peppers to go through today. I made 3 bottles of sauce before I made the salsa for dinner last night. 14 habs crammed into 3 bottles. Pure goodness.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Our garden is 1/2 chilis.....might hit you up for your hot sauce recipe come picking time.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hey jd
blended or chopped?
I have done both the blended version is great because it levels the heat out throughout vs. chopped where you might get a bite that is mellow followed by a bite that bites back.

This one I blended because the mango was very ripe. If you have firmer mangos, then a small chop is awesome.

It's also best the next day because the flavors really blend well.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, just wanted to confirm. How Gnar is the Hab hit? I'm making three salsa's (Avacado-Tomatillo, Pico de, and yours) and want a range of heats without killing people.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
2 mangos with 2 habs was warm, good flavor, and my wife ate it (she's a wuss). The flavor is like no other, though. But it really depends on the peppers. The ones I grew 2 years ago were at least 3x as hot as what I got in the store. I was a little disappointed with the heat this time, but the flavor is what it's all about.

But I have also done the Salvador Molly's balls of fire challenge at least once a year. If you eat all 5, you get up on the wall of flame. Damn, now I'm hungry.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've got one for you... made this up years ago, has been my favorite salsa ever since.

4-5 small off the vine tomatoes
1 Purple onion
2 Roasted Anaheim Peppers (instructions below)
6 Roasted jalapeños
Cilantro (how much depends on how much you like cilantro)
1/8 cup of black pepper
1 Red bell pepper
Add salt to taste

EDIT: FORGOT THE GARLIC... 2-3 cloves.

On the anaheims... punch a hole in the top near the stem and fill the bastards 1/4-1/2 full of your favorite BBQ sauce. Roast them like that till they start to turn a bit black on the outside.

Yeah. Good sh!t.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hey Joker, you will have to send that tomatillo recipe this way, that sounds good, too. And Golgi, that does sound awesome, I just got a bunch of fresh anaheims from the farm last weekend. I will be hooking that up this weekend.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
What kind of heathen are you? :nope:
Well my wife would tell you I'm a smelly dirty heathen that spends more time farting than cleaning up the house, but that's off topic I guess... I grew up near the border... and I've never heard of anyone peeling a pepper for salsa.

Only thing I peel for my salsa is the onion and the garlic.

OOPS. I LEFT THE GARLIC OUT OF THE SALSA ABOVE!!!! That's key!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you're using raw peppers... sure. But roasted chiles? Don't you find the skin to be a bit too bitter in the salsa?
Hell no. Roasted peppers are the BEST. Many years ago a neighbor of mine introduced me to BBQ jalapenos. He would put about 20 of them on the top rack of the grill while he cooked up pounds of carne asada.

Take them right off the grill by the stem and eat. So much awesome.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hell no. Roasted peppers are the BEST. Many years ago a neighbor of mine introduced me to BBQ jalapenos. He would put about 20 of them on the top rack of the grill while he cooked up pounds of carne asada.

Take them right off the grill by the stem and eat. So much awesome.
Hmmm... I've always peeled them. Roasted peppers are awesome... just haven't had them with the skins still on.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
If you're using raw peppers... sure. But roasted chiles? Don't you find the skin to be a bit too bitter in the salsa?
Not at all. And the black bits put hair on your chest. If you really want to get crazy take a couple of habneros, fry up some bacon in a pan and chuck the habeneros in with it... they will turn almost completely black. Let the bacon get brittle and crumbly and dump the whole mix into a bowl and stir it up, grease and all (crusing the bacon into tiny bits). For every cup of salsa you serve mix in a tablespoon of that shizz... yeah baby.

Crispy habaneros and more fat FTMFW.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Not at all. And the black bits put hair on your chest. If you really want to get crazy take a couple of habneros, fry up some bacon in a pan and chuck the habeneros in with it... they will turn almost completely black. Let the bacon get brittle and crumbly and dump the whole mix into a bowl and stir it up, grease and all (crusing the bacon into tiny bits). For every cup of salsa you serve mix in a tablespoon of that shizz... yeah baby.

Crispy habaneros and more fat FTMFW.
BTW this is also the key ingredient to my insanity pepper chili that has won every chili cook off it has been entered in. Of course to be insanity pepper chili it takes a whole pound of bacon, 8 habs and 8-12 japlaps... and a respirator.

I'm not giving the rest of this away though... this recipe isn't even written down anywhere. I'll pass it along on my deathbed, haha.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can make some pretty righteous pineapple salsa... throw em on the grill, then toss them in the salsa. Really good if the salsa is especially hot.
Habs have a very tropical flavor (if you are man enough to stand the heat) so it goes well with acidic fruits. The stuff I made last night seeds and all is incredible.

Fruity salsa goes especially well with chicken and seafood off the BBQ. Loco, I know you Texans can't handle the real heat of my salsa.

Someone caught my son working (pants off his ass)

He runs the kitchen at Columbia River Brewery in downtown Portland.