Quantcast

Holy crap!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've a job interview at ORNL! It's way too soon to tell but I might be moving back to my home town Knoxville after a 10 year absence! Who's going to show me around Windrock?

(wish me luck!)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
you know darn good and well, they inbreed like rabbits.

they're everywhere.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
profro said:
When I interviewed at ORNL, I brought my bike and did some runs at Windrock. You bringing yours?

Probably not. I'll probably be too busy this trip interviewing and catching up with long lost friends and relations to ride.

Plus I need a more appropriate bike. From what I understand my hardtail isn't going to cut it. Does Harpers or anybody else rent DH bikes?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
jdschall said:
There's always big foot I suppose. Byington-Solway oh how I miss thee.
heed your fortune as told by the cookie.
(referring to your signature)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jdschall said:
I've a job interview at ORNL! It's way too soon to tell but I might be moving back to my home town Knoxville after a 10 year absence! Who's going to show me around Windrock?

(wish me luck!)
good luck man.
after all our on line conversations and such, it'll be good to meet you in person.

just don't move back and get caught up in all this singlespeed/29er fad that all the cool kids are being suckered into at the present time.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
profro said:
I think Harper's may be getting a Glory DH for renting purposes. Call them and see.
If they do they will have to charge you the price of the bike for rental if you plan to take it to the rock!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dhbuilder said:
good luck man.
after all our on line conversations and such, it'll be good to meet you in person.

just don't move back and get caught up in all this singlespeed/29er fad that all the cool kids are being suckered into at the present time.
It would be cool to meet you too.

God help me if I do get a 29'er. I do ride a lot of xc with my wife, I'm sure we'd hit up Haw Ridge every week or so, but I just can't see myself falling prey to a rigid 29'er. (That just sounds so obscene!)

My interview is on the 20th. I'm planning to stay a couple of extra days but I doubt I'll ride. I'll probably just bring my climbing shoes and head up to Lilly Boulders and do a little climbing. Even if Harpers rents bikes, it's much easier to throw a pair of shoes in the overhead compartment than a helmet and pads. It is very tempting though. Maybe I'll just call Harper's and see...

But if I do get the job, priority number one will be funding a DH bike or bigger trail bike. (or maybe I should find a place to live first? whatever...)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Back from the interview. It was pretty tough. I really impressed the hard science guys but their computer science guys tore me apart. It was not a fun experience. I have no idea where I stand. Could go either way.

I wish I knew. Our landlord here in MD has decided to sell our house. We have three months left on the lease. Looks like we'll be moving somewhere either way. I just wish it was TN.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I just got word that I am in the top 4 interviewees for the job. Not sure what that means. The could have only interviewed 4 people for all I know. Still no time table either. Ugggg!

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
Hey JD, you may want a little more than that hard tail for WR lol. You will have no prob finding great people to ride with there. Hell the one guys GF drove the shuttle truck most of the day so we could just ride. Great place! If you move back some of may have to come camp in your backyard for a day or 10 lol.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
JYETI said:
If you move back some of may have to come camp in your backyard for a day or 10 lol.
Yeah, you guys are always welcome. If not in my backyard, the 'rents have 90 acres about 20 minutes from the Rock. You can go buck freaking wild there and no one would even notice except maybe the horses and rattlesnakes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
jdschall said:
Yeah, you guys are always welcome. If not in my backyard, the 'rents have 90 acres about 20 minutes from the Rock. You can go buck freaking wild there and no one would even notice except maybe the horses and rattlesnakes.
no online dating please...:dead:

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
JD you lucky man. This place apsolutely rocks. You will def need more than that hardtail your on lol. The locals are super friendly and if your lucky Mark's GF will show up and even drive the shuttle truck. You will love the jump section they have in place. Watch out for the first rocky section onto the road. That is a rough section to start the day off-it ate one of our guys right off the get go.

Wind rock RULES!!!!!!!!!

Hooj Choons

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Reopened...for now.
JYETI said:
JD you lucky man. This place apsolutely rocks. You will def need more than that hardtail your on lol. The locals are super friendly and if your lucky Mark's GF will show up and even drive the shuttle truck. You will love the jump section they have in place. Watch out for the first rocky section onto the road. That is a rough section to start the day off-it ate one of our guys right off the get go.

Wind rock RULES!!!!!!!!!
Get back to work!!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
comparisons are futile.

our jumps are only there to loosen you up for what's fixin to come at ya. fast !

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
dhbuilder hit it on the head. The pipeline jumps are nothing compared to what they have going on. You need some speed to make them but you can also haul a$$ over them and they still flow and have great trannies. The gap over the creek is so much fun. The drops all flow really smooth, there is one with a bit of a flat landing but i think they are still working on that one. The jumps are only the beginning of a stellar trail. It is as rough as pantyline but build much better and soooooo many more rocks.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
JYETI said:
dhbuilder hit it on the head. The pipeline jumps are nothing compared to what they have going on. You need some speed to make them but you can also haul a$$ over them and they still flow and have great trannies. The gap over the creek is so much fun. The drops all flow really smooth, there is one with a bit of a flat landing but i think they are still working on that one. The jumps are only the beginning of a stellar trail. It is as rough as pantyline but build much better and soooooo many more rocks.

the rocks here are like the rows of teeth in the jaws of a great white shark.
we tried moving as many off the trailbed as possible, but the just keep pushing up from underground.

after a while we just gave up.

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
That is a great analogy. Thats about what it felt like as i did a little cartwheel down them.