Quantcast

Holy Light Wheels Batman

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Well, ya, I was thinking about that. I've been eyeing tubular wheels (Zipp 303's) as of late for a FRO wheelset, and I came across those. It's a pretty significant difference between those and the previous generation XXX lite wheels (1200g I think).

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Yeah but the cool thing is, Bontragers are rated for all around riding, not climbing-only, like the flagship Lightweights. Gotta love OCLV.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think I'd snap them. And if I was gonna spend a lot, I'd drop the $800 for Topolinos... those bad boys can get 50,000+miles!!

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
LordOpie said:
I think I'd snap them. And if I was gonna spend a lot, I'd drop the $800 for Topolinos... those bad boys can get 50,000+miles!!
What, you jumping or something? ;) I don't think these are that weak, but by no means an everyday wheel. It has a 1-piece rim with no seam. I heard a story of a 300-lb guy riding the older XXX lites everyday with no problems, FWIW. I'd trust them, but I ain't shelling out 3k for a set of wheels....

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
We have a set of those in our shop. They came off a Trek SSL and the guy didn't want them, he wanted clinchers. In the hands they feel incredibly light and roll effortlessly. Great construction and since it's from TREK/Bontrager you know they will take the abuse and are backed by a great company. Yes, you can ride them all day long and they will hold up. We have Topos (Topolino) in our shop as well and many people love them. Great all day wheel, and they are very comfortable. Two different wheels, two different prices, meant for two different things, both great.