Quantcast

Holy mother of....

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I couldn't imagine the downpipe and exhuast temps. on that thing! I dare you to touch one of those headers... :eek: Indeed 23 psi is somewhat mild...couldn't imagine the torque and hp put out at higher boost levels.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
KleinMp99 said:
I like the neon yellow and orange tubes.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They arent painted neon yellow and orange. The massive ammounts of hot exhuast leaving the motor, going thru the header, and spinning the turbine wheel in the turbo is turning the pipes those glowing colors. The normal The header is chrome.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
HRDTLBRO said:
I couldn't imagine the downpipe and exhuast temps. on that thing! I dare you to touch one of those headers... :eek: Indeed 23 psi is somewhat mild...couldn't imagine the torque and hp put out at higher boost levels.

Its not gonna make much more power than that i dont think. Well, not without consequence.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
næstep said:
Holy Sheit!

THAT is why I don't ever ever never want to own a turbocharger on my car. How can that thing NOT break down on a regular basis?
Well... first of all, it is a competion built motor... I think theres over $10k worth of work done to it.

Your car will never see anywhere near that temperature in normal driving. Turbo chargers are great. Its almost impossible to operate a larger diesle engine w/o one. They are pretty simple and reliable.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
=[Stinky]= said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They arent painted neon yellow and orange. The massive ammounts of hot exhuast leaving the motor, going thru the header, and spinning the turbine wheel in the turbo is turning the pipes those glowing colors. The normal The header is chrome.

Holy sheeeeeiiiiit!!! :eek:

How long does it have to run before it gets as hot as it is shown?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Holy sheeeeeiiiiit!!! :eek:

How long does it have to run before it gets as hot as it is shown?
depends on the fuel and timing management.

a turbo normally runs at 700-800 deg C... if you have an antilag computer.. temperatures can reach like 1100 deg C in a rise of a split second, which is like 2200F.

racing turbos systems with antilag (which this engine probably has), beat the crap out of exhausts and the turbos themselves. usually they dont last more than a couple hundred kms....

23psi is quite high for a 4 liter engine....

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
ALEXIS_DH said:
depends on the fuel and timing management.

a turbo normally runs at 700-800 deg C... if you have an antilag computer.. temperatures can reach like 1100 deg C in a rise of a split second, which is like 2200F.

racing turbos systems with antilag (which this engine probably has), beat the crap out of exhausts and the turbos themselves. usually they dont last more than a couple hundred kms....

:stupid: This guy knows his stuff.. heheh. I wish I could get more info on it.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
the Inbred said:
so what would happen if someone were to throw some icy water on that?
manifold/exhaust pipes could possibly crack, lets just say it wouldnt be a pretty sight.

that is indeed a beautiful sight.
i've seen a glowing manifold in person before, not nearly as extreme as that, right at the 4 branch part of the manifold was red, it kinda faded to a deep red before it got to the point where the downpipes converged at which point the glowing was barely noticable, the heat that radiated of it was immence.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
My brother's S4 glows bright red after some spirited driving. I've never looked at my FXT to see what it's doing.

The pic above is a little extreme though!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ALEXIS_DH said:

PSi and the size of the motor are totally irrelevant.

What matters is...

The amount of CFM that turbo is producing and the compression ratio of the motor.

stock motors with WARRANTIES produce 19psi in 2.0 liter motors ~ with compression ratios of ~9:1

If a manifold cracks it will just make a nasty noise. What would really suck is some detonation. That would throw a rod out the side of that motor in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I have some first hand experience with too much boost, detonation and the inability of a connecting rod to hold onto a piston :confused:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
PSi and the size of the motor are totally irrelevant.

What matters is...

The amount of CFM that turbo is producing and the compression ratio of the motor.

stock motors with WARRANTIES produce 19psi in 2.0 liter motors ~ with compression ratios of ~9:1

If a manifold cracks it will just make a nasty noise. What would really suck is some detonation. That would throw a rod out the side of that motor in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I have some first hand experience with too much boost, detonation and the inability of a connecting rod to hold onto a piston :confused:

psi and displacement are not unrelated.
the bigger the engine, the bigger the turbo, and the higher rpms you need to blow a higher pressure. to make 1000hp you need a crapload of cfm, and a big ass intercooler as well.... and at some point there is a diminishing return in the boost pressure and power of an engine...
and seeing this is a single turbo kit... damn!! 1000hp on a single turbo is quite a feat...

is not the same to blow 20psi on a 1.8t, than to blow 20psi on a 5.7L engine...
detonation is usually a lean mixture, or too high boost with low octane. a good computer fixes that with some timing play.. its nasty and expensive to blow an engine because of that...

i have friends boosting evos and imprezas up to 23psi on stock engines and turbos....
i was into turbocars, i had an rx7 which i boosted up to 18, with a whole new turbo hks system... that chit was running hella rich... with flames out of the exhaust sometimes.. and like 7mpg of gas :thumb:

i have a friend who races groups N rally, and his evo7 with antilag, and the restrictor, gets like 3-4 mpg at racing pace... and the exhaust has to be replaced every 2 races or so.. :eek:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Damn... That looks dangerous... dont want any any plastic parts near that thing.

1k hp out of a 4.0 I6 is fairly impressive, but more impressive is the glow of those headers. How hot does a spark plug wire have to get before it melts? My monte was misfiring one day and I checked only to see that one of my wires had come loose and was hanging onto the header... the bastard had melted. I imagine the air around those headers is hot enough to roast a SP wire or at least cook a hot dog on a stick capmpfire style.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
psi and displacement are not unrelated.
the bigger the engine, the bigger the turbo, and the higher rpms you need to blow a higher pressure. to make 1000hp you need a crapload of cfm, and a big ass intercooler as well.... and at some point there is a diminishing return in the boost pressure and power of an engine...
Its more of a factor of the heat as a result of the pressure, but never the less. 35-45psi in drag racing applications is not unheard of (common in competitive cars).

ALEXIS_DH said:
and seeing this is a single turbo kit... damn!! 1000hp on a single turbo is quite a feat...
1000 hp on a single turbo 4.0 motor is relative, there are 2.0 liter cars doing that these days.

ALEXIS_DH said:
is not the same to blow 20psi on a 1.8t, than to blow 20psi on a 5.7L engine...
Larger engines produce a higher exhaust volume, but you are correct in the assumption that the turbo size needs to match the size of the motor.

ALEXIS_DH said:
i have friends boosting evos and imprezas up to 23psi on stock engines and turbos....
i was into turbocars, i had an rx7 which i boosted up to 18, with a whole new turbo hks system... that chit was running hella rich... with flames out of the exhaust sometimes.. and like 7mpg of gas :thumb:

i have a friend who races groups N rally, and his evo7 with antilag, and the restrictor, gets like 3-4 mpg at racing pace... and the exhaust has to be replaced every 2 races or so.. :eek:
Rotary motors have notoriously high egt's

Good for your friends

here is my "friend" reference, I believe he still has the fastest EVo in the US anyway.
www.PruvenPerformance.com
If you search his site (its old) and you spot a car with a Florida License Plate, thats mine.

So in other words, I think my friends know more then your friends :eviltongu

Here is a picture of me and my "turbo" car back in like 1998 maybe? Just as I found MTB to be a cooler hobby

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
heh.. VROOOOM

We just hired a guy at th shop who did 4 years as a dragster mechanic... Said it was crazy. He brought in a piston that was launched out of the the motor.. piston and scandium rod intact. It was all sort of scarred up, the rings blew out and blew a whole in the piston head. The cool thing tho, is that single piston produced 800hp

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
damn, those are impressive cars..

but the buypower and availabity of cars in the US is not to be compared with that of peru.. here an 11.7 second 1997 impreza gt is the fastest street car i know of in the country.....
while i was in school up there, i met at least 5 people with 11 second cars in my neck of the woods....
we rig up our cars ourselves, we dont have that many tuning shops doing crazy hp like in the US.. mostly is just ricers with exhausts and filters.... plus if we break something, it takes like 3 months to get a replacement...

i think old F1 cars ran 4 and even 5 bar in qualifying, with antilag en everything, which is like 60psi on their 1.5L engines..

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Here is a picture of me and my "turbo" car back in like 1998 maybe? Just as I found MTB to be a cooler hobby
Hey Rob, how fast did you get that piece of **** to run?

How did you hook up with Pruven Performance? I used to live not to far from where their shop is although I wasn't as much into cars at the time.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
The turbos on the Cessna 421 that my dad flew for a while would make the air vents on the cowling glow orange at night. It was pretty cool looking.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
steve45 said:
manifold/exhaust pipes could possibly crack, lets just say it wouldnt be a pretty sight.

that is indeed a beautiful sight.
i've seen a glowing manifold in person before, not nearly as extreme as that, right at the 4 branch part of the manifold was red, it kinda faded to a deep red before it got to the point where the downpipes converged at which point the glowing was barely noticable, the heat that radiated of it was immence.
there is one things as cool- the glow of carbon brake rotors on le mans cars at night. cant see the car, but you can see the brakes.

wow. 1,000+ hp from a 4.0L I-6. hmm. time to work on the WRX! oh wait- I've got half the displacement with 2 less cyllanders. oh well.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
=[Stinky]= said:
Well... first of all, it is a competion built motor... I think theres over $10k worth of work done to it.

$10k seems like a steal to get 1000hp. I have friends with 800hp engines that cost over $50k to build. Maybe parts are cheaper in Austrailia. Regardless, I need that in my Jetta instead of the 2.slow that's currently in it! :sneaky:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
All else being equal, I'd rather have a blower or centrifigul super. The exhaust work is simpler, they run cooler & don't lag, have a more "streetable" RPM range, they're less hard on filters and oil viscocity and you don't need to screw with intercoolers or messy ductwork as long as you have the hood clearance. Yeah they're not as efficient, but the pros outweigh the cons IMHO.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
llkoolkeg said:
All else being equal, I'd rather have a blower or centrifigul super. The exhaust work is simpler, they run cooler & don't lag, have a more "streetable" RPM range, they're less hard on filters and oil viscocity and you don't need to screw with intercoolers or messy ductwork as long as you have the hood clearance. Yeah they're not as efficient, but the pros outweigh the cons IMHO.
They do not run any cooler then a turbo, the heat is caused from the pressurizing of the air. Obviously if a supercharger is producing less PSi it is not heating the air as much. Almost EVERY high performance SC kit these days comes with an aftercooler of some sort. Actually usually the difference between (for arguments sake) say a stage 1 kit and a stage 3 kit of the most popular Superchargers is the inclusion of an after charger.

Turbo's are a more powerful power adder. You only need to look at say Outlaw Mustang classes where they do not limit the turbo chargers (as much) as they do in NHRA pro classes. Turbo cars are dominating Supercharged and Nitrous cars for that matter.

The Supercharger kits you see are simpler to engineer, install and tune because there are less parts and the air fuel curve is much more linear making them easier to "bolt on". But if you are going for performance a turbo charger is the way to go.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
plus, centrifugal superchargers DONT build boost as a typical roots or twin screw SC...
they build boost with rpm.....

non centrifugal SC are more badass, but they arent as good....

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I didn't say they were as efficient or powerful; I said I prefer them because of their simplicity and streetability, etc. I like them because they can produce a good boost to torque and horsepower without being as hard on the motor or beyond the grasp of fairly competent wrench. Although I have never had the pleasure on any car I personally owned, I did help a buddy put an 871 on his 454 chevy(in a mean, green Nova) when I lived in Arlington. It was a B&M, if memory serves me. Because it was a nicely built-out 9.0:1 motor to start, we hardly had to do anything else to the car once it was installed except rejet the carbs and open up the spark gap a tad. He did not run a whole lot of boost, however, as he drove the thing to work and didn't like having to use expensive gas. Regardless, an amazing difference in bury-your-ass-in-the-seat acceleration.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
llkoolkeg said:
I did help a buddy put an 871 on his 454 chevy.
Yeah... thata a HUGE v8. Mostly people who are running big blocks will go with a blower over a turbo.

Anywho. I really wanna turbo/hop-up a Cummins Diesle dually. We're talking 500hp, 800ft-lb of tourqe, and great gobs of. mmmmm 800 ft-lb or tourqe can make a dually do this...