Quantcast

HOLY MOTHER OF....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Best pinkbike comment:

"looks like a trek"
but seriously, I love these "he wanted the simplicity of a singlespeed so he built this contraption because reasons" bikes

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
See, this is why I don't worry too much about 26 in. wheels disappearing all together. If weird designs from the early 90's can pop up again so will my trusty wheels.

Heck, even last year at a crit than ran right past my studio, I noticed that some of the pros had Bio-Pace chainrings, or something very similar.

Neon day glow color schemes from the late 80's early 90's recently resurfaced in Europe in the form of neon, DH pajamas.

Not too worried.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The world need more fucking bassboat. Bassboat all the mother fucking things!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. But bassboated things by professionals. When my sorry ass tried to bassboat my jackal, it was 100% disappoint. Looked like someone had dipped my bike in glue, then sugar, then cocaine, then large chunks of micah, then glue again. Final result: restripped to raw and handprinted winter camo.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
One thing that always makes me wonder is why all these frankenbikes made by guys who need burly single speed bikes have to have sky high bb's?

I also really like going single speed for a trailbike (makes sense) and that frame design if you want burlyness and stifness (makes even more sense). Though yeah. Reasonable people mostly stay out of building bikes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
One thing that always makes me wonder is why all these frankenbikes made by guys who need burly single speed bikes have to have sky high bb's?
prioritized clearance over cornering ability. I'm guessing that thing would just disintegrate if you leaned it over past 12*, but it'll clear a felled log in a heartbeat.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Because the kind of hack that smashes enough shit to find derailleurs to be a sufficient liability that he goes to the trouble of building his own frame around the whole premise of a single speed full suspension bike probably isn't great at placing pedals either?

I'm not actually trying to knock the guy too much, I'm sure finding stuff that works for you is a challenge when you're wookie sized, and he's clearly got some fab skills. I think people building their own bikes is awesome, but the geometry on that thing (reserving judgement on the suspension because I'm too lazy to map out the kinematics and haven't ridden anything remotely similar) is a far cry from what i'd chose.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
prioritized clearance over cornering ability. I'm guessing that thing would just disintegrate if you leaned it over past 12*, but it'll clear a felled log in a heartbeat.
So a straight line comfy bike with no cornering ability. Like a 29er but more silly.

Because the kind of hack that smashes enough shit to find derailleurs to be a sufficient liability that he goes to the trouble of building his own frame around the whole premise of a single speed full suspension bike probably isn't great at placing pedals either?

I'm not actually trying to knock the guy too much, I'm sure finding stuff that works for you is a challenge when you're wookie sized, and he's clearly got some fab skills. I think people building their own bikes is awesome, but the geometry on that thing (reserving judgement on the suspension because I'm too lazy to map out the kinematics and haven't ridden anything remotely similar) is a far cry from what i'd chose.
Being heavy has nothing to do with smashing deraileurs. Crashing does. Still if you aren't great at pedalling places why the hell do you call your 170mm bike a trailbike? If this is a trailbike then Madonna looks young.

It's great that he build it on his own but why not learn a bit, build a stiffer frame, don't use URT, get better geo. Also I'm pretty sure even at wookie size a 07 66 zoke would work well for him. Maybe an avy carted totem coil too. I will just assume the guy is German.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
no derailleur because they're weak and easy to break, but then mounts the rear brake under the chain stay.

Custom built frame, yet still needs a huge stem to fit him.

Just some of the oddities you notice once you get past the whole, 'VPP URT' thing.