Quantcast

Holy Pit Bull Batman!

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So I'm doing my couple times a week ride in the Fells outside Boston tonight and my freewheel body that's been giving me trouble lately is acting up again. And at this trail intersection where I was thinking about a little outcropping at the end and how i'm going to do it with a farked up freewheel a dude hiking and a dog (on one of those retractable leashes) comes up the trail. Dog comes over, like they do, and the next thing I know

The Flipping Dog Bit Me Two Inches Below the Knee!!!

Guy tries to haul it in on the leash as I in my surprise try to figure out what the hell just happened. Luckily the Wed. EMS ride was right behind me and I was able to borrow a pen and paper (back of an EMS ride waiver, ironically) to get some info about the dude and his dog.

So I've just been to the health service where they cleaned out the punctures from those teeth and put me on 1500mg/day antibiotics for a week "just in case. " Tomorrow I gotta call the dog's vet and make sure his rabies is up to date, etc. The guy and his son (whose dog it really was) have been very stand-up so far and gave me all that information so I can be sure...

Any :monkey:s ever have a painful animal encounter while riding?

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Dam that suxors, when I last got bit by a dog I stabed and killed it. The owners tried to file a claim in court against me. I was like "you ****in dog bit me you dumbass!" But yea that suxors, hope the rabies test comes back with promising results.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I Are Baboon said:
I've gotten conflicting advice here on whether or not I should call the animal officer. Some have felt that would be certain death for the dog. I'm a little unconfortable at the idea of being responsible for the death of an animal, and the owners have been very nice and I think genuinely surprised. Had they been the stereotypical pit bull owners I wouldn't have a problem with it at all... :help:

I don't think its certain death for the dog. They will take it and quarantine it for a few days but I think if you don't want to sue them then the dog goes home - unless it's bit before - then if there's a history it could be trouble for the dog. I think I would call animal control before the dog bites someone else.

Glad you are ok (hope your knee didn't JERK and KICK the dog in the face :devil: )

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I dont know since its a pit it may be certain death. At least here in Columbus, aggressive breeds have alot of different rules...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
hooples3 said:
man that sucks.. dogs like that shouldnt be on trails
Im with you man... just keep them off the trails. Pit bulls, hell they like to chase and bite stuff. What more perfect playground for them :rolleyes:.

Blue heelers on the other hand make perfect trail dogs, they can even do gaps with you :D

- JB

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I don't understand why inexperienced owners get dogs that require experience. I'm assuming he's inexperienced because no one who knows anything about dogs would put a powerful dog like a pitbull on a retractable leash.

If you're going to get a dog, do your research and get one that you can manage. That being said, good owners can raise "aggressive" labelled dogs to be very friendly. :)

Attachments

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Why don't you find out what your local animal control laws are by giving them a call, then make your decision.
i don't think the owner is "being cool" about it, i think he's merely doing what he's "supposed" to be doing. Sometimes dogs turn even more aggressive when they know they can bite a human.
The issue turns from your involvement in being bit, to protecting someone else (maybe a kid), by reporting the dog.

Damn True said:
That mother needs to be put down with the dog. i hate people that suggest providence in the face of their own stupidity.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've lost count of how many dogs i've had to shoot on duty. 99% of the shoots were in self defense as the dog, usually a pit or a rotty, were charging me.

it took 5 well placed shots to take out the last pit bull that charged me. first shot went through his upper jaw and took out most of his lower jaw and he was still trying to latch on to me. 4 more shots center mass on his body and he was still going. those things are friggin tough! so from now on i only use my shotgun, if feasible, on vicious dog calls. .40 cal pistol round doesn't do crap to a pissed off fighting dog.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
relax i never said they coudn't be, just that there are different rules for "aggressive" breeds.

and its not a "label", its a breed tendency, based on actual history. But there are exceptions to every rule.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Skookum said:
Why don't you find out what your local animal control laws are by giving them a call, then make your decision.
i don't think the owner is "being cool" about it, i think he's merely doing what he's "supposed" to be doing. Sometimes dogs turn even more aggressive when they know they can bite a human.
The issue turns from your involvement in being bit, to protecting someone else (maybe a kid), by reporting the dog.

That mother needs to be put down with the dog. i hate people that suggest providence in the face of their own stupidity.
Just did just that. Apparently in MA any time a dog breaks skin, even if he's up to date on his shots, they quarantine it for 10 days. Then they give it back to the owner unless it's a repeat case.

Oh, and for the record, I believe the son is an adult. Apparently he started a new job and lives in a different town so the parents have been walking it in the afternoon...

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
clancy98 said:
relax i never said they coudn't be, just that there are different rules for "aggressive" breeds.

and its not a "label", its a breed tendency, based on actual history. But there are exceptions to every rule.
lol I'm very relaxed, in fact I wasn't even commenting on what you said - though I agree with you.

In most places there are certainly different rules for different breeds.

Some tidbits:

In Ontario for example, basically any breed that resembles any pitbull breed must be muzzled, and on a leash no longer than 1.8 metres long whenever the animal is not on the owner's property - reeeeeeeally useful considering 77% of dog attacks occur at home with friends and family.

The odds that the victim is a child are over 3:1.

In the last 10 years the number of dogs in American homes has risen by 2% while the number of bites has risen 33%.

What does this tell us? Dog owners are not as responsible as they used to be, and dogs are not receiving proper training. Also, people are not choosing the right dogs for their family.

A pitbull is not a good idea if you have a child...this should be common sense. At the same time Pomeranians have killed several infants in recent years. Additionally, Rottweilers, German Shepards, Huskies, Dobermans, Great Danes, St. Bernards, Akitas, etc, etc. are also responsible for a great deal of fatalities...yet they aren't regulated at all.

It's such a shame. ALL dog related fatalities are preventable. People just need to start being responsible again and researching, training, and caring for their pet properly.

Whoa...that got a little long, sorry lol.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
And I'm sorry, I just don't really agree with the "breed tendency" thing. Obviously no one can dispute that pitbulls can be very aggressive dogs, but that's because they're often, unfortunately trained to be like that. Pitbulls are driven by their desire to please their owners, and sadly aggressiveness pleases many owners.

I've raised two pitbull breeds to be very friendly, socially well-adjusted dogs. From personal experience out on walks, I've found that there are an inordinate number of small dogs who are EXTREMELY aggressive. Of course since they're small and fluffy no one really cares.

I guess my point is that any dog can be aggressive, and there are many dogs who are far more aggressive than pitbulls, but just aren't as intimidating, so they get away with it.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
gecko said:
And I'm sorry, I just don't really agree with the "breed tendency" thing. Obviously no one can dispute that pitbulls can be very aggressive dogs, but that's because they're often, unfortunately trained to be like that. Pitbulls are driven by their desire to please their owners, and sadly aggressiveness pleases many owners.
Amen,
I've had my pit for three years and he's a big baby. But this is how he was trained. Behind ever bad dog these's a bad owner. :angry: There are responsibility's that come with owning a dog, more so with a pit!! Also this dog may have be protecting its owner. I know from experience my dog doesn't like dirt bikes, and he want to get them. Its a bad situation for all, a person got bit and a dog might die, and the owner is responsible for it all.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
thad, did they put you on rabies immunoglobulin as well as the antibiotics?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
no, there is a reason there are breeds that are considered more dangerous. I know, i know, insert anecdotal evidence here about your two nice pits. Do you want two stories back about ones that weren't? Yes, any well trained dog can be nice. But to say that pit bulls/rots, chows ect... are not inherently more aggressive breeds is just ignorance of the facts, which you have not researched beyond your two nice pit bulls.

And if you think its just my incorrect opinion, go talk to some vetrinarians. I already did - there are some in the family. Trust me, there is no argument.

edit: and aggressive breed dogs like pits have a different biting potential relative to their size. Their muzzles are built a little differently than, say, a collie and their heads are much larger in relation to their bodies. They also dont let go alot of times when they bite.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
gecko said:
I don't understand why inexperienced owners get dogs that require experience. I'm assuming he's inexperienced because no one who knows anything about dogs would put a powerful dog like a pitbull on a retractable leash.

If you're going to get a dog, do your research and get one that you can manage. That being said, good owners can raise "aggressive" labelled dogs to be very friendly. :)

I hear ya.
I am very careful with Roxy. Thus far she has been the biggest marshmallow ever, but any dog as big (135lbs) and powerful as she is needs to watched closely.

Dogs are essentially like kids. It's all in how they are raised. That said, some breeds, as a result of their breeding have natural aggresive tendancies. Sometimes its a prey drive (ie sighthounds) some breeds are very aggresive toward other dogs (territorial) some breeds are highly protective (guard and herding breeds). The problem is that many owners don't understand those behaviors and fail to learn to channel them properly.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
I hate those retractable leashes! We have one for our dog and he's just a big Border Collie mix of some sort. He's just a big, loveable fluffball. The problem I have with the leash is when we go for a wlak with the dog and my wife is letting him walk along, then when someone is walking toward us she doesn't always reel him in. The first thing he tends to do is go for crotch sniff. It's embarassing and my wife doesn't seem to get it that I think he needs to be kept under control!

I really hate those leashes!

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
clancy98 said:
no, there is a reason there are breeds that are considered more dangerous. I know, i know, insert anecdotal evidence here about your two nice pits. Do you want two stories back about ones that weren't? Yes, any well trained dog can be nice. But to say that pit bulls/rots, chows ect... are not inherently more aggressive breeds is just ignorance of the facts, which you have not researched beyond your two nice pit bulls.

And if you think its just my incorrect opinion, go talk to some vetrinarians. I already did - there are some in the family. Trust me, there is no argument.

edit: and aggressive breed dogs like pits have a different biting potential relative to their size. Their muzzles are built a little differently than, say, a collie and their heads are much larger in relation to their bodies. They also dont let go alot of times when they bite.
I don't really want to get into this too much, because it's unlikely we'll come to a concensus, but please don't call me ignorant. In my last post I cited a handful of stats from the CDC, so clearly I've done some research. :rolleyes:

There's no need to cite cases of "bad" pitbulls, I've never suggested that because mine are great dogs that all pitbulls are great - I know there are some highly aggressive pitbulls out there, that I would personally never go near. But I'm saying look at the reason they're like that, not just the fact that they exist. I'm willing to bet that if I had raised and trained one of those same "bad" pitbulls in the same manner as I've raised mine, it would have turned out differently. A dog's personality is largely based on it's owner's.

As for the bite strength, yes, pitbulls clearly have a far more powerful bite. They were originally bred to be "pulling" dogs. Yes, potentially a pitbull's bite could inflict a greater injury than a collie's. However, as I mentioned above, the vast majority of attacks occur in the home, and are on children. When it comes to a child it doesn't take much, and a collie (or a 4lbs pomeranian in several cases), can be just as deadly.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I admit that I skimmed many of the posts in this thread but it seems to me that no one has touched on improper breeding as a reason for the increased number of dog attacks. Proper obedience training and owner responsibility are very important but many people buy a dog based on looks alone without researching the blood line. Pure bred pups are big money and there are lots of breeders that lack any common sense but have a love of money. Properly bred pits, rotties, whatever, are no more dangerous than any other breed.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
gecko said:
When it comes to a child it doesn't take much, and a collie (or a 4lbs pomeranian in several cases), can be just as deadly.
think that might be just a little exaggerated?

But hey, heres some anecdotal evidence, we have had 4 collies in our family, plus my aunt has had two, from a total of four completely different doggie families. Never once has any of them bit anyone. ever.

See, I am biased, and defending the breed because of it. didn't mean to get on you personally, but saying pitbulls are not any more dangerous than a collie or a pomeranian is not logical or in accordance with historical evidence. I dont know what you will even accept as fact if those two are not enough.

clancy98 said:

But hey, heres some anecdotal evidence, we have had 4 collies in our family, plus my aunt has had two, from a total of four completely different doggie families. Never once has any of them bit anyone. ever.

See, I am biased, and defending the breed because of it. didn't mean to get on you personally, but saying pitbulls are not any more dangerous than a collie or a pomeranian is not logical or in accordance with historical evidence. I dont know what you will even accept as fact if those two are not enough.

I hear ya clancy but seeing as how i've had many collies (mostly border)and now pitbulls and i both sides.
FYI:i travel with my pit alot and so i see many new vets and what not.
I usually talk in depth about the breed and 9 times out 1o the say that the smaller terrier breeds and chiuahua's poms,poodles etc bite with a way higher frequency than pits its just that pits have the powerful jaw and everyone loves to sensationalize "pit-stories" and downplay when the other breeds go bad.
I'm a dog lover through and through and i think that pibulls(staffidshire bull terrier,american pit bull,etc) are the most loyal,affectionate and yes OBEDIANT dog. Not as smart as my border collie but still up there.
I know people will read what i said and laugh but i'm telling ya, best dog.

Anyway, large breeds or muscular breeds really don't belong on those retractable type leashes.Its an accident waiting to happen for an owner who's not really on top of any given situation.
The fact is that most cities-states state that a leash canot be more than 5-6 feet and the retractable while conveinant does not meet that.

Attachments

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
thad, did they put you on rabies immunoglobulin as well as the antibiotics?
nah, doc didn't think it was necessary since the dog is domestic and up to date on his shots (i checked with their vet this morning). he said if it were a raccoon or something wild they would have...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Barbaton said:
nah, doc didn't think it was necessary since the dog is domestic and up to date on his shots (i checked with their vet this morning). he said if it were a raccoon or something wild they would have...
You may want to rethink that. If the dog is agressive (and clearly it is) it may have been in a scuffle with another dog or wild animal recently.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Skookum said:
No sheee-it! "It was his time to go?!?!?" No! Sadly, his time to go came prematurely because his mother was a complete dumb fvck! She is just as responsible as had she handed him a corded hair dryer to 'fluff that mullet' while he was bathing in the tub or forgot" him in the car while she ran into the KMart to clean up on lunchtime Blue Light Specials on a 98-degree day. :mumble:

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i think retractable leashes are okay for cats and yorkies, but anything else is probablynot a good idea. I agree that there are dogs that bite more frequently. But here (at least my apt. and local petsmart) consider chihuahua's agressive breeds as well, which you just basically agreed with, or said that you had corroborating info.

Now, STOP "labeling" those poor chihuahuas, they just have bad owners. ;)

or maybe you can see the point

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
clancy98 said:

Sorry, but no, I don't think it is that exaggerated. All I've said is that although there's no doubt that a pitbull could potentially inflict more damage, but when it comes to children, the target of most attacks, it doesn't require a powerful dog to do significant damage - especially since 80% of those attacks are facial bites.

Like most of us, I'm just a dog lover...I don't have any hidden agenda, and I'm basing my comments on statistics, and pretty well-rounded personal experiences with many breeds not merely one-sided anecdotal evidence as you continue to suggest. I've had many different breeds of dog be part of my life - a german shepard, a lab, a beagle, a border collie, a blue heeler, and more recently pitbulls. So, I think it's safe to say that you can take what I'm saying as being fairly objective - not the ravings of a crazy pitbull lover.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, dog behaviour is a product of training, and as Mike B. points out, breeding. However doing your research and buying from a responsible breeder makes the breeding a positive contribution, not a negative one.