Quantcast

Holy sweet fucks - Women's Olympic Road Race Crash

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
God, I hope that girl is okay. That might be one of the worst crashes I've ever seen. Word from the team manager is conscious and talking at the hospital. But fuck all. Search for "Annamiek van Vleuten crash" if you want to watch it.

We have a bunch of friends (including some Sunday people) and assorted group of young kids over for the afternoon. Apparently my reaction of "oh fuck!" was substantial enough that without even seeing the TV a few moms just herded the kids out of the room.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The dutch girl is still out when she goes by. Jesus. TBI for sure.
She was way out. Did you see how she rolled though the gutter? Getting knocked out might have saved a broken neck (hopefully).

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Dooood....

It looks like the rear tire broke traction and she over compensated and locked up the front. She got launched into that curb head first.

I had a similar crash in one of my last DH races where I endoed at speed into a tree, hitting the back of my head first and wrapped myself backwards around the tree. Got a concussion, fractured clavicle, and pulled all the muscles in my chest. Still to this day, I have no idea why I didn't end up a lot worse.

Hope she makes a full recovery and can ride again.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
at least she is alive

RIP fellow triathlete
BOULDER, Colo. – A 34-year-old Nebraska woman has died after she was hit on a bicycle while taking part in the Ironman Boulder race.

Michelle Walters of McCook, Nebraska, was hit by a vehicle while riding on a major highway north of Boulder on Sunday, the Colorado State Patrol said.

Ironman event coordinators issued a statement confirming the woman's death. "We are deeply saddened to confirm the death of one of our athletes at IRONMAN Boulder," organizers said.

The driver and details of the accident have not been released. Alcohol and speed are not believed to be factors in the crash.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
at least she is alive

RIP fellow triathlete
BOULDER, Colo. – A 34-year-old Nebraska woman has died after she was hit on a bicycle while taking part in the Ironman Boulder race.

Michelle Walters of McCook, Nebraska, was hit by a vehicle while riding on a major highway north of Boulder on Sunday, the Colorado State Patrol said.

Ironman event coordinators issued a statement confirming the woman's death. "We are deeply saddened to confirm the death of one of our athletes at IRONMAN Boulder," organizers said.

The driver and details of the accident have not been released. Alcohol and speed are not believed to be factors in the crash.
When you are racing you aren't exactly making the best decisions and aware of everything that is going on. I can't imagine racing on a road on a course open to traffic.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
When you are racing you aren't exactly making the best decisions and aware of everything that is going on. I can't imagine racing on a road on a course open to traffic.
Every triathlon I ever did was on an open road. You are doing an individual time trial not riding in a pack drafting. You do need bike skills, something a lot of triathletes lack. I grew up riding in Los Angeles. you either kept yourself aware of everything around you or you got hit.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That spot of road has a lane wide bike lane and it's a super high bike traffic area, let alone on a race day. There is no way you would not know to be aware of bike. There is a dirt road that enters traffic there, but it's low traffic, so I doubt there was a volunteer there minding traffic. I would not be surprised if it was a pull out without seeing her, or someone turning into the road without giving right of way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Every triathlon I ever did was on an open road. You are doing an individual time trial not riding in a pack drafting. You do need bike skills, something a lot of triathletes lack. I grew up riding in Los Angeles. you either kept yourself aware of everything around you or you got hit.
No thanks. On some of the XC races I've done the course is open, but the consequences are so much less than hitting a car. On our XC races that cross roads, we've had volunteers out to stop the traffic and provide a safe passage, and that's just for crossing the road. Maybe you can't totally shut down a road for a road race (but I think you should), but there's got to be a better way than just leaving it open too, like convoy with lead vehicles or something.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The course is also cone segregated. Somebody managed to really fuck up leading to this.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
at least she is alive

RIP fellow triathlete

The course is also cone segregated. Somebody managed to really fuck up leading to this.
Let me guess. Highway 36?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dooood....

It looks like the rear tire broke traction and she over compensated and locked up the front. She got launched into that curb head first.
:stupid:

I had to watch it a few times because it didn't make sense the way she flipped a few feet shy of the curb. Damn, hope she makes it out strong. Tough crash.