Quantcast

Holzfeller crank Q

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Um...... you sure they require pedal washers? Cuz mine didn't come with them. No problems with the cranks so far, but now I'm starting to get a little worried.....:(

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That's why I asked...You have what looks like a little space where washers would sit. Shimano cranks don't have that, the hole is flat with the rest of the crank.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Dammit, looks like I'm gonna have to pick up some pedal washers the next time I'm at the shop. Hopefully no damage has been done.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by zedro
if i was an instruction manual writer, I'd feel very unappreciated...
No, you'd feel like an idiot. Check out the PDF instruction manual from Truvativ's website: http://www.truvativ.com/manuals/cr-4arm-e-r4.pdf

Look at the text below the illustration in the far right column. Do you see anything about a pedal washer? Cuz I sure don't. The pedal washers are in the illustration, but nowhere does it actually tell you to use pedal washers. Damn the system. :angry:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by dexterq20
No, you'd feel like an idiot. Check out the PDF instruction manual from Truvativ's website: http://www.truvativ.com/manuals/cr-4arm-e-r4.pdf

Look at the text below the illustration in the far right column. Do you see anything about a pedal washer? Cuz I sure don't. The pedal washers are in the illustration, but nowhere does it actually tell you to use pedal washers. Damn the system. :angry:
i checked out the instruction manual before i made the comment (thats why i made it). I see three mentions of pedal washers, two of them in the assembly part. I guess the expression "shall i draw you a picture?" doesnt apply here...:rolleyes:

it is quite ambiguous...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by zedro
I see three mentions of pedal washers, two of them in the assembly part.
True, my friend, but remember what I wrote...
The pedal washers are in the illustration, but nowhere does it actually tell you to use pedal washers.
I didn't say they weren't mentioned at all, I just said that, although they were in the illustrations, they weren't actually in the written instructions.

Anywho, is it a problem that I haven't been using the pedal washers? My pedals have definitely been digging into the cranks, but if I put some washers in there ASAP, will it be ok? Or is the damage to the pedal/crank interface something I need to worry about?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
True, my friend, but remember what I wrote...

I didn't say they weren't mentioned at all, I just said that, although they were in the illustrations, they weren't actually in the written instructions.

Anywho, is it a problem that I haven't been using the pedal washers? My pedals have definitely been digging into the cranks, but if I put some washers in there ASAP, will it be ok? Or is the damage to the pedal/crank interface something I need to worry about?
i just find it funny cause most people will skip written instructions and look over the pictures to see if its there. I always assume theres a reason somethings there, otherwise they wouldnt bother drawing it. Anyways...

Just get the washer there ASAP. You'll know theres damage if the threads fail.:eek: I doubt you've harmed it though, otherwise it might have already failed.

DFoxracing

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Huntington beach
i have ridden a lot of truvativ cranks and they all came with pedal washers. Holzfellers and the new Hussefelts have steel inserts, so you aren't supposed to need pedal washers, but they still recommend using them. I have threaded out inserts before because i didn't have a washer on it.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
If you're looking for the washers, I have a couple of sets. PM and I'll send them to you free of charge - unless you want to give me 37c for the stamp...:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by DFoxracing
i have ridden a lot of truvativ cranks and they all came with pedal washers. Holzfellers and the new Hussefelts have steel inserts, so you aren't supposed to need pedal washers, but they still recommend using them. I have threaded out inserts before because i didn't have a washer on it.
So do it, dont do it...then do it...and do it...

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
just use the d@mn pedal washers. what harm does it do to have them in there. it will distribute the load more evenly and not have the pedals dig into the cranks keeping your cranks looking nice and smooth

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Does the Holzfeller have metal insert? I thought only the Hussefelt did because it is made of 6061 tofu/alloy blend. The Holzfeller is made of 7050 and shouldn't need the insert, also simple rule, if your pedals have a full round profile spindle at the point where the threads end (shimano) then no washer is needed but it can't hurt, if your pedals have flats for a wrench going right up until the threads (most non-shimano) then that square edge will cut into the pedal as you tighten it, so you will want a washer for sure.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by punkassean
Does the Holzfeller have metal insert? I thought only the Hussefelt did because it is made of 6061 tofu/alloy blend. The Holzfeller is made of 7050 and shouldn't need the insert
Nope, no insert on the Holzfellers.