Quantcast

Home audio recording setups

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Didn't you just land a job? Screw being a responsible member of our society, go make some noise!
I'm gonna give it a test go here in a bit... just got done with the second of two 1-hour interviews. Fuckity fuck fuck FUCK.

I am also worried about the pink tint of the picture. :panic:
Ha! Yeah... so that picture was taken on our patio table which is white... but the patio itself is covered by a reddish-rust-colored shade sail, so the filtered light is apparently giving it a pinkish hue?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Here 'tis bitches... my first go at doing something for real in GB with the new 22VSL.

Pretty stoked on how it turned out, for just a couple-three hours of dicking around.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
This thread is making me want to start recording.

Since the COVAIDS lockdown I've been playing my acoustic a ton and writing some instrumental stuff which will not ever, ever be misheard as bluegrass, and wanting to get it on tape.
1588967863235.png

My last home recording setup was a Tascam Porta 1 4-track and a Boss drum machine. I manged to get excellent results using that in a closed room with a shitty mic in front of a 4x12. This of course was about 25 years ago.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
This thread is making me want to start recording.
Fuck yes. My work here is done. ;)

But also... there's moar stuff to record. And honestly dude I'll be ~$200 into this stuff and it sounds totally fine. Shit, bordering on pretty fucking good.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Fuck yes. My work here is done. ;)

But also... there's moar stuff to record. And honestly dude I'll be ~$200 into this stuff and it sounds totally fine. Shit, bordering on pretty fucking good.
Digital quality is pretty good. You get out what you put in.
The real money comes in (well, goes out) when you want specific modeling of hardware devices, or fancy delays, or work flow enhancers. Plugins get spendy fast. If you want to make your mixes loud and you get into dynamics processing, then it’s worth it. But for scratching out ideas and demos, you can get going for relatively little money. Good interface. Good cables and mics. Good headphones. Done.

If you ever want some solid drum plugins for heavier music ideas, these guys make some cool products. The pricing isn’t bad, and they have a ton of sales fairly regularly. I’ve got most the midi packs for drum beats and three of their drum kits.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Here 'tis bitches... my first go at doing something for real in GB with the new 22VSL.

Pretty stoked on how it turned out, for just a couple-three hours of dicking around.
Not too shabby. Keep going.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Not too shabby. Keep going.
Anything you'd suggest from a production standpoint? Does it need to be louder? Mixed differently? Compressed in some other way? Even though I used to play (I still do, but I used to, too) pretty regularly and gig, I never got into the sound engineering part of things so any advice is welcome. Also happy to keep experimenting with random shit.

Good cables and mics.
Got a mic on the way, but I do need new cables. Found the only guitar cable I have left from when I gigged regularly 30 years ago is just a little 3' guy. So... off to the music store I think I go. I think there's one actually open near me, gonna pick up a few things.

If you ever want some solid drum plugins for heavier music ideas, these guys make some cool products. The pricing isn’t bad, and they have a ton of sales fairly regularly. I’ve got most the midi packs for drum beats and three of their drum kits.
I suppose I oughta create a bookmarks folder for audio recording stuff now. Fack.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Got a mic on the way, but I do need new cables. Found the only guitar cabel I have left from when I gigged regularly 30 years ago is just a little 3' guy. So... off to the music store I think I go. I think there's one actually open near me, gonna pick up a few things.

I suppose I oughta create a bookmarks folder for audio recording stuff now. Fack.
The Dieswitch drums sound good. They’re produced and punchy. The kit doesn’t eat up much CPU. I bought the 1st Gen Kvlt Kit on a sale and it’s lofi. Avoid it unless that’s specifically what you want. The Northern Artillery Kit is quite nice but more CPU intensive.

The midi files should work with most other drum plugins that utilize a piano roll arrangement. You might need to do a little bit of arrangement tweaking but nothing crazy.

I like using these just for bass practice. They give me patterns to work with other than just a click.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The “final” piece arrived a couple days ago, the Sennheiser e835 mic.

8411FFA6-C062-4379-9703-04BFAAE4E9B0.jpeg

8827C111-EA7E-4CB2-BA31-380E07F8E569.jpeg

I found a small guitar shop that was open last Friday and bought a new guitar cable (the one I had was only 3’ long), a mic cable, and a used mic stand. Ordered a headphone extender cable from Amazon, so I could have some slack there and not have the cable get in the way when recording stuff with the ‘phones on.

I haven’t recorded anything new yet, but I’ve been playing and noodling around with chord progressions and little melodies and such. The weather Is supposed to turn to shit in the next couple of days, so I’m hoping to record a few tracks then. Gonna try a song with my gal, she has a nice voice and I figure I can do a reasonable John Prine impersonation so we’ll see how that goes.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Side note: I also ordered a few wall mount guitar hanger hook thingies, so I’ll be hanging my guitars up in this room as well. The room is my office and our guest room, and now apparently the recording studio. Might as well have an instrument or two hanging about, and the floor guitar stand you can see in the pics is old as and not quite deep enough to really hold the acoustic.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Well fuck, these fucking headphones I bought came from a smoking dude and they REEK... and now my home office reeks, and it's disgusting. Even the plastic part of the 'phones smells like smoke. I've got the ear and head pads soaking in Borox, I've already hit them with Febreze fabric and washed them in dish detergent. The plastic part (you know, the headphones themselves) is hanging outside. Gonna try and let them air out a couple three days and see if it helps. Bummed, and a bit pissed at myself for not paying more attention. Might just pull the trigger on a new pair, and sell these. Might have to note in the CL or eBay ad that they came from a smoker and I am way too sensitive to keep them.

In other news, I've been dicking around with tabulature writing software to be able to "jot ideas down" -- @mandown any experience with anything like that? I'm currently using TuxGuitar because it's free and I wanted to see if I'd actually use a tool like this before spending money on something. But the interface is kinda fucked and difficult to use, so even as a proof of concept it seems to be setting itself up for failure.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Well fuck, these fucking headphones I bought came from a smoking dude and they REEK... and now my home office reeks, and it's disgusting. Even the plastic part of the 'phones smells like smoke. I've got the ear and head pads soaking in Borox, I've already hit them with Febreze fabric and washed them in dish detergent. The plastic part (you know, the headphones themselves) is hanging outside. Gonna try and let them air out a couple three days and see if it helps. Bummed, and a bit pissed at myself for not paying more attention. Might just pull the trigger on a new pair, and sell these. Might have to note in the CL or eBay ad that they came from a smoker and I am way too sensitive to keep them.

In other news, I've been dicking around with tabulature writing software to be able to "jot ideas down" -- @mandown any experience with anything like that? I'm currently using TuxGuitar because it's free and I wanted to see if I'd actually use a tool like this before spending money on something. But the interface is kinda fucked and difficult to use, so even as a proof of concept it seems to be setting itself up for failure.
Smoking smell in gear is awful.

I don’t have experience with the tab software. I know some DAW software has a mechanism for conversion to sheet music (terry sure Logic does this).

I’d say learning how to chart and use the Nashville Number System could get you a huge part of the way there, depending on your theory background and the detail of the parts you want to notate. Are you trying to tab out chords or riffs or both? How’s your basic music theory understanding?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I’d say learning how to chart and use the Nashville Number System could get you a huge part of the way there, depending on your theory background and the detail of the parts you want to notate.
I've never heard of this system, I'll have to take a look.

Are you trying to tab out chords or riffs or both?
Both, I'd say. What I'm primarily using it for at the moment is like a notebook... I'll noodle around on the guitar and come up with a chord progression or riff that I like, and I just want some way of jotting it down so I can "remember" it later. I could just record it, but if I forget the chords or fingering or whatever a recording just means I have to figure it out again by ear later. I quick tab chart seems easier for this purpose. As they say, a short pencil is better than a long memory.

How’s your basic music theory understanding?
I'd say it's super basic. I probably know a lot more than I think I know, but don't know what things are called or whatever. Like... I know what a key is, what a time signature is, can handle odd time signatures or polyrhythms, can write simple chord structures and progressions, melodies, that sort of thing. I'm primarily self-taught with a lot of this stuff so I'm not gonna sit down and write a song without playing it or anything. And once you start talking dorian and mixolydian stuff my eyes glaze over.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Looking at the NNS and I'm not sure it'd work for me, for the purpose I'm thinking. It looks good, for what it is. And I understand basic theory enough that I think I could use it for certain things. Like if someone was like "Hey this one is in F#m and the chords are roughly I, IV, I, III, blah blah blah" it seems like I could maybe follow that.

For examples, below is the kinda thing I'm hoping to capture. Pay no nevermind to the bass staff being all wonky against the treble staff, this is just a way for me to jot down the basics so I can help myself remember things later. The bass part is A.) not a complete riff and B.) doesn't have accurate "note lengths" for what's in my head.

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 10.58.31 AM.png

*Also it should be noted that while I'm *pretty dang sure* this is the key of G#min and has a bluesy feel, I have *zero clue* what those chords are... which kinda makes the NNS useless to me since I can't read music. I could in 7th grade when I played cello, but not now. I could figure the chords out for sure, but it would take me a minute to identify the notes and sort through it.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The guest room/home office/recording studio (ha!) has never had much in the way of “decoration” but I decided to fix that this morning. FKNA.

F6F5FB48-62A7-4A49-B748-35B6C2D3171B.jpeg

I think all of these guitars except the Nuno are early-80s vintage, which is early 90s and might be the first year of the N4/N2.

Nuno (not sure if it’s an N4 or N2,the neck is bolt on which might mean N2?) that I bought new in the early 90s

C76C441A-9BCE-4ADA-9B71-7F81737AC59F.jpeg

Les Paul Custom in TV Yellow.

5E724AC1-FC22-4CA6-BBE0-AEACB063D7B0.jpeg

Strat with a Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge and a couple of SRV Texas Specials in the mid and neck positions. This things screams, sounds awesome even for a Japanese Strat.

33E71EFF-06DC-442D-9952-9DD9A7A61133.jpeg

Takamine time, bitches! Bought this lady new for like $350 in probably ‘93 or ‘94? Had a slimline pickup installed at some point, it’s a pretty nice sounding guitar. This is what I recorded the little loop and U2 tunes with.

9564D5A5-C585-4E2A-84A8-CCCDE1FBF6B3.jpeg

Hoo dang this thing! I just borrowed this from a friend, might buy it from him. Early 80s Martin 0000 size guitar. Has a couple center cracks running from the bridge back towards the strap button, but it still sounds phenomenal. Puts my Takamine to shame, and it’s a pretty good sounding guitar.

43A6F2DE-1146-4CEB-96C1-B8FCB5548B83.jpeg

CF3F1E89-0905-4E44-87A0-040C819D94FA.jpeg

81D1192A-AE92-4BEC-A249-F72CD900B962.jpeg

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Looking good.
Here’s a rough shot of my studio. The short scale Fender Mustang stays out, while my closet queen basses hide in a closet. I’ve got various pedals on the right, including unused ones in the black totes under the table. I’ve got my PA speakers holding up a synth and a few pedals along with a mixer. The desk has a 42” monitor I can use when I don’t feel like squinting at my laptop. Adam A7X monitors and my hifi system for playback.
30C9F931-8672-43F4-BE59-C6A1A2AC364E.jpeg

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yeah, y'all have it right: it's an old Kahler tremolo on there. I kinda always thought one of the previous owners had that put on there, but I was perusing Reverb.com today to get a sense for what these things are worth (not selling them, just curious) and it looks like it might have been stock? Mine is a 1981 guitar, based on the serial number, and I am seeing later models that have Gibson branded Kahlers on them so who knows? Way back in the day I had a guitar repair guy (luthier, right?) "fix" the tremolo in place, so it doesn't whammy any more. Easy to undo, but I really never used the whammy, despite ALL my electrics having one. I don't recall if I had the Fender fixed as well. And, I've apparently lost or thrown away the actual bar for both the Les Paul and the Strat.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Got looking for some info about MIJ Strats of the 80s and 90s, to see if the one I have is crap or quality. The serial number dates it in the 1984-1987 range, and I found an article that seems to suggest it's a darn fine instrument.

In fact, during the late 1980s and early 1990s, it was generally acknowledged that the build quality of Fender instruments made in Japan equaled, or even succeeded their stateside counterparts.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I honestly never knew "tv yellow" was a thing. I assumed that was a 70's faded Alpine White finish.
Yeah, it's a fricken neat color, originally created for use on old B&W television so it didn't flare out under studio lights or whatever. This guy talks a bit about it in this video, and the double cutaway '60 model he has is friggin' cool AF.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
...it looks like it might have been stock? Mine is a 1981 guitar, based on the serial number, and I am seeing later models that have Gibson branded Kahlers on them so who knows?
Looking at my guitar some more, there's NO WAY that Kahler came stock on this thing. You can tell the truss rod cover plate was hacked in half to make room for the locking nut, and there's bare wood underneath the tremolo where the body was routed out to make a hole for it. Another interesting thing about this Les Paul is someone went through the trouble of sanding the TV Yellow finish off the back of the neck...

...and then slapped a thick as coat of clear varnish over it. :disgust1:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Looking good.
Here’s a rough shot of my studio. The short scale Fender Mustang stays out, while my closet queen basses hide in a closet. I’ve got various pedals on the right, including unused ones in the black totes under the table. I’ve got my PA speakers holding up a synth and a few pedals along with a mixer. The desk has a 42” monitor I can use when I don’t feel like squinting at my laptop. Adam A7X monitors and my hifi system for playback.
View attachment 145379
This is (of course) a way more baller setup than I have. Looks awesome, like you could really make some serious noise in that room. I have no amp at the moment, but I still have my old stomp boxes.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
This is (of course) a way more baller setup than I have. Looks awesome, like you could really make some serious noise in that room. I have no amp at the moment, but I still have my old stomp boxes.
I can make lots of noise. Fortunately, my common wall neighbor doesn’t generally complain about anything unless it’s a couple hours of techno kick drum.

I’m really near my limit for gear. I’ve got a couple things on my lust list, but something might have to move out before anything new comes in.
Erica Synths makes a rad delay called Zen that’s been on my watch list for a while. There’s a hardware synth they’re releasing soon that I also want. Polyend has a new Tracker based sampler/sequencer that I’m eyeing. I occasionally think about an Elektron Octatrak since it is such a powerful sampler/sequencer, but it’s got a brutal learning curve.

The only thing definitely coming in is the Hilbish Sol Invictus preamp pedal. It’s a model of a Sunn Beta. It has an A and B channel that are switchable or can be blended. It outputs A and B or A+B at instrument level. It also does balanced and line level outs for A+B.