Quantcast

Home audio recording setups

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I dig it.
Thanks!
I was experimenting with a few things. Trying to speed up my process, which I managed to do. Still wandering around the “mixing and mastering” process as best I can. Trying to find settings that work on monitors and hi-fi and ear buds and in the car is a mysterious dark art. Either that or I just need actually study how those things are done properly. My primary goal was to finish this over the weekend, which is exactly what I did.

How’s things in your new studio? Those headphones smelling any better?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
How’s things in your new studio? Those headphones smelling any better?
Sold the old ones and got new ones... then got a job and all home recording stuff went promptly "on hold". Then a buggered up my ribs and thought maybe I'd get back to recording some music... except my gal and I need to do a bunch of work to our camper so we can sell that thing in preparation to buy a van. So...

Yeah, I've got excuses. :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ok. recommend a good USB audio interface for mic'd or direct signals into a pc. quality over low price, but let's not get crazy. GO!
I’ve been using a Native Instruments Komplete 6 (not the most recent). It works well, and sounds fine. Focusrite Scarlet units have a decent reputation. Some of the older ones had some issues with clipping and headroom, but I think the most recent (3rd?) generation is okay. My experience is with Mac, but I’m not aware of any issues that are Mac or PC specific.

Edit - I forgot that there are two lower priced Komplete interfaces that just came out. They don’t have the midi interface, and have fewer in/out options. Might be worth a look.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Got things arranged yesterday. The new Sol Invictus has a variety of outputs, and when combined with a Boredbrain Terminal, I’ve got several routing options without the need to rewire connections. Really enjoying the sound of Sol through the Echo and Reverb pedals. Time to actually record something worth sharing.

7D58A8BA-CD1E-4B2D-9C10-21B95751A496.jpeg

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What’s new in these parts?
Having a job and riding as much as I can all summer is what's been up with me... I got all jazzed and set up to do some recording and then... fizzled. I have a handful of riffs and ideas I've been jotting down though, but haven't recorded any of it. Thinking maybe this winter as we go further into "lockdown" mode I'll pick it back up again.

What about you? Any new stuff in the works?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I got back into doing more ambient noise stuff with a collaborator in San Diego. We did a few live streaming things, which I swore I’d never do, but they worked well. Here’s a bit of what we were up to.

We are going to present for an online synth convention later this month, which should be interesting.

I had to disassemble one of my more expensive pedals to do a repair. That was frightening but it seems to have worked. My next project is learning how to do a proper bass setup. I changed strings with a big difference in tension. Gotta buy some tools and give it a shot to get the action back in order.

The last recording I worked in was in September but it fell apart at the vocals, so I need to revisit that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
acoustic panels