Quantcast

Home Bike Security

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So as some of you may have seen I had a bike ripped off recently. The worst part about it is the feeling that it would have been pretty easy to prevent, and as a result I've decided to be better about locking up my bikes at home.

My rides live in my garage, which has some exposed beams and a concrete floor. I'm thinking about picking up a few of the longer Krypto New York locks but need some suggestions on anchors. Locking a pile of bikes together is better than nothing, sure, but I'm also hoping to have them locked to an immovable anchor.

Best way to secure bikes to a concrete floor or exposed beam?

What other kinds of bike security are you folks using at home?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Use some Tapcon fasteners to anchor some D-rings to the garage floor.
Run a cable through the frames, locked to D rings.
Cheap, easy to set up/dismantle, dimensions only limited by the space available.

If you want something more hardcore, buy a commercial bike rack; secure to floor and lock bikes using u-locks/chains.

I have two large, vocal dogs so we don't even lock the house but I've done both of the above at previous houses.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
When I was living in the city, I had to keep my bikes in the garage due to space. I had a heavy workbench that I chained my bikes to using a NY krypto. I had 2 chains and a U in that mess, tying all of the bikes to each other and the bench. If I didn't have the bnech, I would have chained them to a support beam.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
When we were in a condo I drilled a hole in the concrete wall of our parking space in the garage, dropped a sleeve in, and put in a closed loop eye bolt. Someone stole the pedals from the bike, but it was never taken.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
There was suggestion involving midgets ..but I forget the details.

Yea ..doors locked ..and the ole cable lock around a post in the garage.. Anyone serious can still get em, but at least I tried.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I hang my bikes flat against a garage wall because of space constraints. That wall has 6" studs. I put some heavy duty (5/8" forged one piece, not bent wire) eye-hooks into the wall the full 6" depth. Kryptonite goes through the eye-bolt and around the frame.

If we leave for any extended time, the garage door opener gets disconnected and the door bolted shut.

This was implemented after I had a bike taken off the wall and carried overhead (over the car parked there.. our garage is juuust one car wide... you literally have to squeeze sideways to walk next to the car on that side) while we were home. Garage door was open because we were working in the yard and tools live in the garage.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As long as you have some sort of lock on them, whether its your garage door being locked or a chain/cable locking them to something, then thats probably the best you can do. Other than having good insurance for them. Ontop of that, I would keep them out of sight. As in not in plain view through a window or garage door window thingy and don't leave them on your car when you are parked at home. That is like advertising that the bikes are located at your house, someone just needs to come pick them up.

If a theif wants it, they'll get it no matter what. No matter what you do, there will always be a weak point that can be exploited.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks everyone. Some good stuff here. It's true there is only so much you can do to stop a pro. I've known that for years, and I learned it again last weekend.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Anchors in the floor and hardened security chain such as Abus. There isn't much more you can do.

Unfortunately, if you are like me, the tools to defeat just about anything are located near the bikes.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Instead of all this silly stuff, can't you rig something that will blow the bike thief in half? I feel like you should go more toward the source of the problem.