Quantcast

Home bleed a OneUp dropper cartridge?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I have a V2 180mmpost that won't stay up, or down.
Covid bike craze means there are no cartridges to be found and it's about to get all hero dirty around here.

Has anyone attempted to open one up and bleed it at home?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Has yours come loose? Mine was the last time I put air in... (I have the v1 post)
Yes, on both the v1 and the new one.
I'm in the habit now where if a component has an air valve, I just snug the core first thing. Too many tiny leaks impacting performance in my shocks, posts, sex dolls, etc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yes, on both the v1 and the new one.
I'm in the habit now where if a component has an air valve, I just snug the core first thing. Too many tiny leaks impacting performance in my shocks, posts, sex dolls, etc.
Ohhh the core itself. The entire valve on mine was loose, though it wasn't leaking anything.

Its part #6 that comes loose and allows the threaded valve to spin.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, I had the thing where Part No. 6 was loose. (200mm V2.) It makes the post rattle at full extension and creates a little dead space, but shouldn't keep the post from going up and down.

Have you checked the air pressure? I max mine out. Won't go up very well without good pressure.

If your cable is too tight, the post won't stay down without weight on it. It should still go down, but it won't stay down. (Like riding around with your lever pushed all the time.)

The basic clean and grease service is pretty simple and my post felt a lot better once I did it: DROPPER POST V2 SERVICE - CLEAN - OneUp Components Canada

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah, I had the thing where Part No. 6 was loose. (200mm V2.) It makes the post rattle at full extension and creates a little dead space, but shouldn't keep the post from going up and down.

Have you checked the air pressure? I max mine out. Won't go up very well without good pressure.

If your cable is too tight, the post won't stay down without weight on it. It should still go down, but it won't stay down. (Like riding around with your lever pushed all the time.)

The basic clean and grease service is pretty simple and my post felt a lot better once I did it: DROPPER POST V2 SERVICE - CLEAN - OneUp Components Canada
the clean and grease is important with these, esp. the v1, i think. i'll do that every few months, and top off the air pressure every once in a while. didn't think to check for loose valve/valve core, but def will next time i have the seat off. in general been super happy with this post over the last 2-3 years.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Cable is loose enough, and air pressure should be high enough. It has worked flawlessly for the 5-6 months I have had it, the problem has shown itself recently.

If I drop it all the way, it will slowly creep up. If it is at full extension and I sit on it, it creeps down. Still comes up with enough pop that air pressure seems good.

OneUp has been on MTBR recently saying they had a cartridge "build issue" where an o-ring could have been nicked resulting in something like this. They are sending out replacements for those with the issue. Probably why the carts are out of stock everywhere, and OneUp has yet to reply to my emails.

I'll pull the whole thing apart today and check everything to see if there is another remedy.
Bummer because we got 1/2" of rain last night with another inch or so on the way tomorrow. That means the trails will be perfect for the next week or so. :think:

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
OneUp was actually on it with the email response, Gmail blew it and put it in spam.

So it seems like a known issue with recent posts, they are getting a replacement cartridge out ASAP.

So far very impressed with OneUp customer service. The only other issue I have had with them was an improperly packed/damaged shipment and they made it right super fast.

I sure hope this is an isolated incident. I dread going back to the KS days of having twin posts so I could keep riding while one was always going back for service/warranty.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Cartridge pulled, post torn down. Apart from the cart, these things are super simple and easy to work on. Pretty damn burly also. Due to the 34.9mm post size, and the wall thickness of the outer tube is 4.5mm. It is stout for sure!
1212201300a-1.jpg

All slick honeyed up and waiting.
1212201324-1.jpg

The trail smasher is now relegated to the "in process" side of the garage. Bummer as the rain is coming down again as I type.
1212201329-1.jpg

If ONeUp doesn't ask for the old cart back, I'm going to take it apart.
Doesn't look like anything crazy, and I have some neighbors down the street who have every suspension tool known to man.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Cartridge pulled, post torn down. Apart from the cart, these things are super simple and easy to work on. Pretty damn burly also. Due to the 34.9mm post size, and the wall thickness of the outer tube is 4.5mm. It is stout for sure!
View attachment 153527

All slick honeyed up and waiting.
View attachment 153528

The trail smasher is now relegated to the "in process" side of the garage. Bummer as the rain is coming down again as I type.
View attachment 153529

If ONeUp doesn't ask for the old cart back, I'm going to take it apart.
Doesn't look like anything crazy, and I have some neighbors down the street who have every suspension tool known to man.
empty beer used to have a thread on how to service the KS cartridges, not sure how similar they are if you do get to take it apart.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Well folks I have blasted it with a heat gun and damn near sheared off any spanner that will fit in the holes but this little biatch it not coming apart without some shaft clamps and a four pin spanner made for it.

One Up did get the replacement to me in record breaking COVID shipping time, from Squamish no less. I be happy.:rockout: