Quantcast

home made bike racks/storage...got pics/ideas

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
hey there mcguyver :monkey:s what have you built and if so do you have pics?

getting ready for a new temporary location and i think im going to have a little space in the garage while im there...looking to build some racks for my bikes/boards/etc...

thanks in advance :thumb:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I tried the PVC rack deal, was sorta cheesy/cheapo IMO.

I thought about building something out of 2x4's but it's basicly for storage of them in the garage. When I have to use my truck since it's a single cab I just lay them down in the bed. My tool box in the bed is a little large, I could get one that'd save me like 7 inches or so and then use the instagators from sportsworks.

I've seen some newer one's with steel in the back of MBA and other magizines. Sorta expensive though. This is for a truck's bed also.

Storage in a garage is a funny one. I made my 3 PVC rack into 2 and put a bike in the middle or else it takes up qite a bit of space in there. A pallet is a good idea though, never thought of that one.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
This isn't necessarily home-made ... but it was a system I bought at Ikea and it works great for my bikes. It's something you could easily fabricate by going to Home Depot and thinking outside the box.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I used to use the rubberized hooks to hang.. but then heard stories about fork oil leaks and stuff... Plus I was seeing marks on my rims.. So I ordered a double decker stand from supergo that worked great for like $50... Now that I have a house.. the bikes have there own room!!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I used to use a pallet in my garage to hold them upright. But after my V10 got stolen last year I decided the only place for my bikes was my house... so I pretty much have them leaning against walls and doors randomly in my house. :) :p

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
I have a 8x10 building that I use as my bike shop. I just ran a 2x4 about 4 ft off the backwall and 5 inches off the ceiling. I just hang the bikes by their seats and put hooks in the wall to place the front wheel in in order to relieve some of the pressure off of the seat mast area. This holds my 4 bikes without any problems, would hold 6 bikes easily, and could possibly hold 8 bikes. I will take pics when I get a chance.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Spunger said:
Any pics of this pallet idea?
For mine I just went to the loading dock area of my local grocery store and stole one of the ones they had stacked next to the dumpster. Then just fit the wheels into the slots between the boards.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
COmtbiker12 said:
For mine I just went to the loading dock area of my local grocery store and stole one of the ones they had stacked next to the dumpster. Then just fit the wheels into the slots between the boards.
Thank god I live next door to a Grocery store :)

Can you put 3 bikes in one?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Spunger said:
Thank god I live next door to a Grocery store :)

Can you put 3 bikes in one?
I think you could put at least 3, if not 4. Of course you'll have to alternate their directions but yeah it's easy to fit them in. One thing about when I used mine though is that the slots were loose so sometimes it wasn't too reliable in holding them up. It's definitely a cheap way to do it though. :)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My solution is a saw horse kit from home depot.
Make the top bar really long and hang the bikes from the nose of the seat. This isn't very effecient spacewise but the bike just needs a seat for it to work so half done bikes w/o wheels hang just fine.
Also, the bikes aren't vertical which can screw up some brakes and suspension. I have a huge basement so it works for me.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
do you have woodworking capabilities? If so PM me... I have a rack for 2 that requires no wall drilling, and can hold the bikes up against the wall... the handlebars will be the widest point...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
brungeman said:
I have a rack for 2 that requires no wall drilling, and can hold the bikes up against the wall... the handlebars will be the widest point...
That sounds like a DIY version of this rack, that I inherited from my bro-in-law.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
justsomeguy said:
That sounds like a DIY version of this rack, that I inherited from my bro-in-law.

exactly!!! I saw the pics a while ago and copied it... (I'd rather spend the time making than waiting for it to show up in the mail) It turned out great... I needed it when I was in college and didn't have space for all my gear... I could even hang stuff off of it to dry:thumb: ...if anyone needs the plans I could probably draw them up real quick!!!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I don't have any pics anymore. Currently I use the Delta Leonardos bolted into a 2x8 in my garage. (Fancy version of coated bike hooks screwed into a 2x6 and bolted to the wall.)

You can do that to hang them against the wall, or...

When I only had a couple bikes and needed the space I would use 'closet rod' brackets. You know, the shelf brackets that have a hook on the end to hold the rod. Just cut a small but of inner tube and slide it over the ends to pad the frame. Then bolt these brackets to the wall where you need them for your various bike. They're designed to hang your clothes out about 15 inches from the wall and will do the same for your bike. And they're only a couple bucks per.

Both options will work cheap. It just depend on your space limitations and how many bikes you want to hang.

*edit: Ooooops. Didn't see the 'temporary' bit in the initial post....... Awww, screw it, just drill some holes. You can alsways patch them later.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm going to be buying some cheap tubing (probably copper or whatever metal tubing is cheapest... PVC won't be strong enough I don't think) and building my own. Basically just going to be a horizontal bar supported on each end. I'll hang my from the horizontal bar by the saddle. The bar will be just high enough to get the rear wheel off the ground.

Does that make any sense?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
DRB said:
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

I build this one for $30 or so and took a few hours.
I tried this one and some other variations like it and found it a huge pain to get the slots the right width... I needed a slot for my XC bike with 2.1s that run narrow, my trail bike with 2.35s that run wide, and my road bike with 23s. I just couldn't get them so the bikes were good and snug.