Quantcast

Home networking

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Just looking for some insight....

My wife has a home office and her company pays for RR service. Is there anyway to "safely" use her connection on my computer (ie router etc) without being detected by her IT peeps. Take in mind she has to connect using groupwise. Thanks for any input:)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
download PuTTy.
i use it at work to --- how should i put this --- send/receive "packets".

...and that's all the IT dept knows.

(make sure you use ssh, not telnet)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm curious how or why your wife's employer would know or care.

You're not paying by the packet for the connection, right? You're also not routing all outgoing packets through the employer, so they would never know.

I'm assuming RR is Roadrunner, right?

splat

Nam I am
Some questions here. I have a similar setup , Broad band and my Company Pays for my service . but they do Not know what I am doing on it . I am Independent of them , Until I VPN into The company.

and if you have a Hard ware VPN ( which I happen to have , It nice :cool: ) I just have my From My cable modem I go to my ROuter and the router has 4 ports one goes to my Hardware VPN ( that then goes into a hub and to Mutliple computers ) which my company know about. the othe 3 legs off of the router are all mine !

If it is software VPN, they know nothing till you connect.

I work for Our IT network Group and Quite Frankly, we only really look at the logs when we are asked to.

Now if you have a Company Private DSL line. that is a WHole differenet story

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
Use a router and there should be no problems....but dont hold me to this. There really is no way they can tell you have more than one computer hooked up with a router. Do not buy a hub....that is bad.....also I would not do Internet connection sharing.