Quantcast

Home Theater cables

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Will these do?
Yes, they'll work fine. It's digital signaling so cable quality isn't quite as important as analog signaling.

For myself, I went with slightly higher priced and larger gauge cables but that wasn't really because there will be a noticeable performance increase, it was more because it kept me from wondering what the picture quality would have been like with better cables.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
HDMI transmission is sensitive to cable length, though, right? so get the shortest cables you need.
Only to a certain extent, though. You probably shouldn't coil up a 35' cable back there, but I've never seen a digital signal in my life that was noticeably different at any reasonable length (<10').

Actually, back to back there was no difference between my 3' and 6' DVI-to-HDMI cable. Exact same cable, just different lengths. I don't know where HDMI starts to degrade, but hell, you can even run 20+ foot VGA cables if they're thick gauge and well shielded without too many problems.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yep - general rule of thumb (from my experience) is anything over 20' should be upgrade to a better quality, higher gauge cable to preserve the signal.

I'm looking for some high quality component cables and a DVI in the neighborhood of 35'. Them suckers get expensive in a hurry...