Quantcast

Home today

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Well at 6:00 this morning I get a call from MWG's daycare lady telling me that she isn't feeling well and needs the day off. So I had to call in today; most days I really wouldn't care but I only have 12hrs of leave and 9hrs of sick. I hate wasting the in the middle of the week.

But I guess that is a small price to pay for such a great little boy.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
MancilG said:
Well at 6:00 this morning I get a call from MWG's daycare lady telling me that she isn't feeling well and needs the day off. So I had to call in today; most days I really wouldn't care but I only have 12hrs of leave and 9hrs of sick. I hate wasting the in the middle of the week.

But I guess that is a small price to pay for such a great little boy.
Go on a day long bender, call in sick tomorrow, repeat.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Welcome to parenthood. Luckily for me my wife can work from home most times this happens to us. How is the bike search going? Coming to SS this weekend?

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
denjen said:
Welcome to parenthood. Luckily for me my wife can work from home most times this happens to us. How is the bike search going? Coming to SS this weekend?
No I can't make SS this weekend, I'm hoping to get up there in a few weeks.

As for the bike search, I think I'm just going to make some upgrades to mine and go from there. I was able to get a pretty good time on it at Mass, with some more pratice I'm sure I'll get faster

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MancilG said:
I only have 12hrs of leave and 9hrs of sick.
Yikes... are you new to the job or have you used a bunch of your time lately???

I've got 40 vacation days and 60 sick days at the moment...

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Greyhound said:
That sucks, Mancil.......is your boss cool about situations like that?
yeah, they understand. This is the first time it has happened. Kim is off all summer (teacher) so I won't have to worry about it again for awhile. I can get a few hours of work done from home so thats a plus.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
MancilG said:
No I can't make SS this weekend, I'm hoping to get up there in a few weeks.

As for the bike search, I think I'm just going to make some upgrades to mine and go from there. I was able to get a pretty good time on it at Mass, with some more pratice I'm sure I'll get faster
Yeah you were rockin' for the first time doing real DH runs. A couple mods to your bike will definatly get you through the summer. A new fork and an 8" rotor in the front would be good starts.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
Yikes... are you new to the job or have you used a bunch of your time lately???

I've got 40 vacation days and 60 sick days at the moment...
Jeezus, dude. Take a f***ing vacation already! :dead:

I've got ~48 *hours* of leave right now and I'm about to use it all up on a trip to California next week. :thumb:

I can't ever seem to accumulate any vacation time. I always use it. :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
Jeezus, dude. Take a f***ing vacation already! :dead:

I've got ~48 *hours* of leave right now and I'm about to use it all up on a trip to California next week. :thumb:

I can't ever seem to accumulate any vacation time. I always use it. :D
I've taken about 3 weeks already this year...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
1.5 days per month, plus about 6 extra vacation days here and there over the course of the year. I've been collecting them for 6+ years.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
And you still have 40 *DAYS*?!? How much vaca do you get a year?

I'd be taking a month off. :thumb:
I actually had more than that in December... but for some reason, I can only carry a max of 40 days into the next year.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
dang...and I thought I was doing well having already taken two trips this year. I too am a vacation user, but probably won't be doing anything until the fall...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
1.5 days per month, plus about 6 extra vacation days here and there over the course of the year. I've been collecting them for 6+ years.
do those 24 days also include state/national holidays?

that's a very liberal vacation policy anyway; usually one gets 8-9 holidays so you are still over 4 weeks. what do people start at, vacation-wise?

we can't roll any time over, and i lost about 6 days last year. :mumble:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Does anyone here get to cash in unused vacation time? Given my salary grade and tenure, I can cash in up to eight unused days. I can also carryover up to two weeks. I get 26 days off (plus holidays on top of that) and I'd never use them all, so I usually cash in the max. Also, as long as I work four hours in a day, I get paid for the entire day (I don't have to burn half a day to split at noon to go riding).

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
do those 24 days also include state/national holidays?

that's a very liberal vacation policy anyway; usually one gets 8-9 holidays so you are still over 4 weeks. what do people start at, vacation-wise?

we can't roll any time over, and i lost about 6 days last year. :mumble:
what 24 days? The 6 extra days we get do include state/national holidays. Sometimes the office is closed, so we have to take a vacation day (memorial day, 4th of july, etc) sometimes not (election day, president's day).

New folks get 1.25 days per month. I'm due to be upped to 1.75 days per month soon. That's the max you can get, regardless of how long you work here.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Does anyone here get to cash in unused vacation time? Given my salary grade and tenure, I can cash in up to eight unused days. I can also carryover up to two weeks. I get 26 days off (plus holidays on top of that) and I'd never use them all, so I usually cash in the max. Also, as long as I work four hours in a day, I get paid for the entire day (I don't have to burn half a day to split at noon to go riding).
I can't, but I can turn them in (not sure if it's sick days or vacation days though) for a break on my health insurance. I think it's 60 sick days for a $300 break on insurance.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
No wonder health care costs the rest of us so f***ing much. :mumble:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
what 24 days?
the 1.5 days per month (*12) + 6 = 24.

jacksonpt said:
The 6 extra days we get do include state/national holidays. Sometimes the office is closed, so we have to take a vacation day (memorial day, 4th of july, etc) sometimes not (election day, president's day).

New folks get 1.25 days per month. I'm due to be upped to 1.75 days per month soon. That's the max you can get, regardless of how long you work here.
15 days off per year to start is very good for the US; that's our starting point too (but you don't get to 4 weeks off until 10 years of service, and 5 weeks is after 20 years... :mad: ).

IAB, i can't cash in vacation days; the HR policy is that they are there for a mental break and should be used as such. however, this policy kinda sucks when you get in situations like mine and can't use all of them due to project demands.

we used to be able to roll over up to one unused week, but they got rid of that because it was a liability on the books.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
One thing I like about my job is I can work from home. I get a lot of work done too most days because I don't have to listen to the crap that goes on here.

I have 48 hrs of PTO, we don't have leave/sick, just PTO in a big bucket. I've only been here since January, but I haven't had to use any.