Quantcast

homebrew labels

Donny70

Chimp
Aug 9, 2014
I do a lot of small batch homebrews and I do labels for each one.
I think I have too much time on my hands

This is my latest one :):)

golden Promise.jpg

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Nice artworking Donny.
Nice and clean but with some beautiful subtle detailing.

I have to admit to being a bit lazy when it comes to labeling the beers I do at home and at best just mark the caps with the batch number..... That or just keg it.

Donny70

Chimp
Aug 9, 2014
Nice artworking Donny.
Nice and clean but with some beautiful subtle detailing.

I have to admit to being a bit lazy when it comes to labeling the beers I do at home and at best just mark the caps with the batch number..... That or just keg it.
Kegging is probably the best way to go. That way I'd never have to match the taste of my beer to the labels :)
This is the brew I did previously. A bit of an experiment brewed with 2 yeasts and some juniper. The wife hates the dryness of rye but she seems to like this for some unknown reason.

ROGGENBIER LABEL.jpg

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice labels! What's the actual labeling process?

I've been printing on heavy-ish stock plain paper and then using milk to adhere the paper to the bottles. It's been working really well even if it takes a little while to cut them up and adhere them.

Donny70

Chimp
Aug 9, 2014
Nice labels! What's the actual labeling process?

I've been printing on heavy-ish stock plain paper and then using milk to adhere the paper to the bottles. It's been working really well even if it takes a little while to cut them up and adhere them.
I have this thing called a Xyron 900 that I use for work. Roll the sheets through and it puts semi perm adhesive on.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah... so how do you remove the labels after? Is the adhesive similar to what they use on regular beer bottle labels?

One of the nice things about the milk is it's a really good adhesive, but when you soak the bottles in warm water you can scrape the labels off with no residue left behind.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Must be at least 2% milk and I didn't have much luck with brushing it on - I don't think you get enough that way.

My process is:
- Milk goes in a small saucer
- Basically lay the label down on top of the milk - I grab one edge and lay the far half down, then pick up the dunked edge and do the other half
- Apply the label to the bottle
- Use a small squeegee or similar rubber/plastic item to squeeze all the excess milk from behind the label
- Wipe with a paper towel and let them sit overnight

It probably takes around 30 minutes to label an entire batch of bottles and since I started using higher milk fat, NOTHING removes the labels accidentally, even if they get wet. If I let them soak overnight in warm water, though, especially if I add a little baking soda, the labels are floating on the top of the water with no residue on the bottles.