Quantcast

Homebrew questions... Help out a n00b.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Excellent!

BTW, I got a new hydrometer and the readings are different (and seemingly more accurate) than the old one. The new hydrometer's reading was .005 higher than the old one with the last batch I brewed.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think the red ale I brewed two months ago has an infection. It's sitting in the secondary and the airlock STILL bubbles from time to time. There are some very white bubbles on top of the beer, they don't look like mold and they aren't growing like a mold usually does.

I want to bottle this but I don't want my bottles exploding... The beer tasted GREAT before it went into the secondary.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Looks great, BV!! Save me one. We'll be down in July. :)
I emailed Randee and told her I'd try to hold off on drinking the last of them ;)

How 'bout them Red Sox?
Fvckin' A, right? I thought it was hilarious when they passed on Bay only to have Lowell blast it out of the park :rofl:

Is that a Duvel bottle?
No idea; they weren't my bottles. My friend with the brewing equipment had the bottles. Had a bunch of the rubber stopper Grolsch bottles, too - let me tell you how much easier bottling like that is...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Nice! What kind of labels did you use? I use standard Avery/Staples shipping labels...nothing fancy. I also indicate the bottling date on the labels. :monkey:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I used the most awesome form of labeling ever.

Plain paper.

Then I took a sponge, dipped it in a little milk, and wiped the back of the label.

Adhere label, and it sticks.

Soak in warm water, and it comes off. But it sticks through temperature changes/sweating.

Plus, it costs whatever the paper costs :thumb:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Looking good. what year is that 'Monkey Pint from?

I bottled my stout last night. I brewed it on 3/9/09 and it set in the primary for nearly a month, then I transfered to a secondary because I needed the primary bucket to bottle something else.

This is the first time I was able to pour out the very last drops of beer from my secondary directly into a pint glass and drink it. There was VERY LITTLE yeast and other odd bits in the bottom of the carboy.

The beer is very tasty. man, I love making beer :D

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Bottled my Red Ale today. I brewed it 2 months ago... I added an ounce of Cascades to the primary. This is really yummy beer.

I picked up the ingrediants for an ESB that I'll probably cook on Friday. Finally starting to get a pipeline of beer stashed in the closet.