Quantcast

Homebrew update

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I approve!

we got a holiday spiced ale in primary & a batch of apfelwein going right now too.
will be bottling the holiday ale this weekend.

I just read a recipe for Joe's Ancient Orange Mead I want to try soon.

:cheers:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So how many of these do you think are going to fail to carbonate?

I'm taking bets. Odds are 2:1 that 1 out of 3 beers fail. 3:1 that the cherry stout tastes like cough syrup. 5:1 that IAB exposes himself to a female coworker at the company Christmas party.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.

I'm taking bets. Odds are 2:1 that 1 out of 3 beers fail. 3:1 that the cherry stout tastes like cough syrup. 5:1 that IAB exposes himself to a female coworker at the company Christmas party.
I'm going to have to sit down with IAB and watch him brew some day. I haven't had nearly the amount of problems he seems to have. I learned from some pretty capable guys though, I think IAB is more or less self taught. We'll have to see what's throwing his beer to hell so often.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
the holiday spice ale sounds good TN . IAB i know it's your wife's request but cherry stout :thumbsdown: .
Heh...I sort of agree. I won't be drinking too many of those myself.

Shut up, ass badger. I only seem to be struggling with high octane beers. The four batches of 1065 OG and lower have all been great.

I'm going to have to sit down with IAB and watch him brew some day. I haven't had nearly the amount of problems he seems to have. I learned from some pretty capable guys though, I think IAB is more or less self taught. We'll have to see what's throwing his beer to hell so often.
We can talk shop this weekend.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Here are all the batches I've made so far, in order:

Barleywine: so-so
double IPA #1: so-so
bourbon porter: success
Celebration Ale clone (IPA): success
vanilla coffee porter: success
double IPA #2: god awful and undrinkable (only batch so far that didn't carbonate)
oatmeal stout: success
cherry stout: in primary

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I just read a recipe for Joe's Ancient Orange Mead I want to try soon.

:cheers:
Use a wine yeast. I tried the recipe as written years ago and it sucked. It had tons of potential: nice aroma, good progression of flavors from the orange and spices, but the taste finished like a biscuit. I also think it needs a lot more time to mellow, it was really hot from the alcohol.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I only seem to be struggling with high octane beers. The four batches of 1065 OG and lower have all been great.
I'd love to know what happened to that one batch. High abv beers will carb with enough time. We had 3 bbls (93 gallons) of trippel that went in to oak at 11% where brett. lambicus chewed on it for 2 years taking the abv up to 11.5-12%. We bottled it in July, pitching fresh yeast (2mil cells/ml, roughly equivalent to adding half a tube of white labs to a 5 gal batch at bottling) and priming with table sugar. It took a while, but we finally got a very satisfying "pop" as we removed a cork yesterday.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Hmmm....

I bottled an APA last weekend, just dry hopped a different APA and this weekend will probably be doing an IPA this weekend. Starting to build my stash back up.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Brewday went well yesterday. I'm no longer chilling my wort so that cuts an hour out of my brewing time, which is nice. As it is, it takes me over 4 hours including clean up. I made a RWS (real wort starter) using the wort as my liquid and pitched my yeast into that. I'll be pitching the yeast into my fermentor in a few hours when the temp drops down a bit more.

fun stuff.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
What was wrong with your so-so beers? Just didn't turn out how you hoped or were they flawed in any way?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What was wrong with your so-so beers? Just didn't turn out how you hoped or were they flawed in any way?
"So-so" on the barleywine was being kind. That and the 2nd double IPA are absolutely putrid. I really don't know what I did wrong. I am drain-pouring the double IPA batch now and I can't even stand the smell of it.

I dunno.

I know I underpitched the yeast on the first double IPA, but at least that one is drinkable. In fact, it's all gone.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
ok, now I am all sorts of confused. As I am popping these bottles of DIPA and pouring them down the drain, I've been pouring every third bottle or so into a glass to check for carbonation. No luck, until I popped this last bomber. It had all sorts of carbonation...almost overcarbonated. And the pisser is that it actually tastes pretty good and has a beautiful color. It makes me think maybe I just didn't stir the bottling bucket enough. Could my problem really be that simple? I always fill the bombers last, after all the 12oz bottles are filled.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Didn't you take my suggestion and add carbonation tabs to a few bottles? In which case that should have added sufficient sugar if the yeasties were still active... Weird that this one bottle clearly had the yeast to carbonate the sugar.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Didn't you take my suggestion and add carbonation tabs to a few bottles? In which case that should have added sufficient sugar if the yeasties were still active... Weird that this one bottle clearly had the yeast to carbonate the sugar.
Yeah, I was thinking about that after posting that previous message. I added carb tabs to four bottles earlier and still got no carbonation. I even put two bottles in our utility room, which is usually in the high 70's, and no luck. I don't know what makes this one bottle so special. I've put that glass in the freezer and we'll see how it tastes in an hour. As weird as it sounds, I'll feel a little better about one decent fifty dollar glass of beer over a total failure.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I brewed the IPA today and added some hops and grains to the kit. Recipe for disaster, I'm sure.

Cherry stout in secondary on the left (just a stout right now), today's IPA to the right.

Shut up, haters. My cats will stab you in the neck.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I are Baboon,
where are you located again?

Can you recommend me a quality home brew kit or maybe a list of materials that you have been happy with?

I do not want to do the cheesy, plastic bucket kit.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I do not want to do the cheesy, plastic bucket kit.
Some of the best beer in the world is done in plastic buckets. unless you are talking about Mr. Beer, those generally suck.

northernbrewer
morebeer
austinhomebrew
rebelbrewer
brewmasterswarehouse

all sell good kits to get you started.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Some of the best beer in the world is done in plastic buckets. unless you are talking about Mr. Beer, those generally suck.

northernbrewer
morebeer
austinhomebrew
rebelbrewer
brewmasterswarehouse

all sell good kits to get you started.
That is what I meant. Thanks for the starter list.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The brewing I've done has been with a friend's kit... On my project list is to piece together my own kit and I plan on using Better Bottles.

They seem to get great reviews, are lightweight (good for me with an apartment without much storage space - I can toss them places I couldn't put glass), and can be had in a ported variety which makes the actual transfer process much easier.

Anyone used them with anything positive or negative to say?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The brewing I've done has been with a friend's kit... On my project list is to piece together my own kit and I plan on using Better Bottles.

They seem to get great reviews, are lightweight (good for me with an apartment without much storage space - I can toss them places I couldn't put glass), and can be had in a ported variety which makes the actual transfer process much easier.

Anyone used them with anything positive or negative to say?
I have one. it is much lighter then the glass carboy I have. The ported ones aren't worth the extra cost, in my opinion. I use an auto syphon to transfer my beer.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
IRB- Are you going to bottle any of that stout without the cherry extract?
I wasn't planning on it. The extract gets added to the bottling bucket right before siphoning the beer from the secondary fermenter. I suppose I could add the extract as the final step but I don't think it would mix as well.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I wasn't planning on it. The extract gets added to the bottling bucket right before siphoning the beer from the secondary fermenter. I suppose I could add the extract as the final step but I don't think it would mix as well.
Oh, OK. I see. But you can decide on how 'cherry' you want it by adding more or less to the bottling bucket, eh?

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Have fun bottling!

This weekend I am going to buy a cornie keg all the stuff to start kegging our brews, although I may keg our apfelwein if it is ready before I get to brew again.

Last edited:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Have fun bottling!

This weekend I am going to buy a cornie keg all the stuff to start kegging our brews, although I may keg our apfelwein if it is ready before I get to brew again.
Kegging is the way to go. I have 5 cornie kegs and a 5lb CO2 bottle with a dual regulator setup. I can carbonate and/or dispense two kegs at a time and have more on deck. It was a blast last summer at MF when we went through 4 kegs of homebrew in two nights.

Additionally, if you want to give some away as gifts, you can carbonate in the keg and dispense to bottles from there. I'll usually drop a couple of carb tabs in each bottle to make sure it's good and carb'ed up when it's opened.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was going to ask about that... when you keg, is it as easy as just filling up and capping some bottles if you want to give it away? I was reading some random comments about the carbonation disappearing very quickly when you bottle kegged beer.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I was going to ask about that... when you keg, is it as easy as just filling up and capping some bottles if you want to give it away? I was reading some random comments about the carbonation disappearing very quickly when you bottle kegged beer.
It's just about that simple. I have a piece of tubing that fits into the nozzle of my picnic tap, the other end is cut at a slant so the beer rolls out without as much turbulence. It also helps to keep the bottles as close to the beer temperature when you fill them. This all helps to fill the bottles without agitating the beer. I add the carb tabs if I'm not sure it'll be consumed right away, that's just for insurance.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bottled the cherry stout today.

I also racked the IPA to secondary. That's 1 ounce of cascade leaf hops dry hopping.

This is my dog. She is a good dog.