Quantcast

Homeland Security is after me!!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I was fixing a flat yesterday on my tubeless DH rims (823s?) and was in the process of pumping them up. I was using a Maxxis tubeless tire with some Stan's home-made slime stuff in case of punctures. Noremally, at a certain pressure you hear the little pop of the tire seating on the rim, but not this time. Curious!!

I kept on pumping... Nothing...
30lbs
40lbs
50lbs
55lbs

At about 55lbs I stopped and picked up the wheel to listen for leaks or something. As soon as I got the tire up near my head...

BOOM!!!

The tire blew right off the rim. It sprayed stan's mix all over my face, in my hair, on my clothes, and up to 15feet down the driveway.
It even exploded with enough force that it somehow even blew up my hub!! Pawls were on the ground, the casette was over in the grass...

About 15 seconds later, my neighbors started soming out and exclaiming WTF is going on!! There I am covered in green slime, my hair was blown backwards like david lynch, hub parts and slime all over the place, I even cut/bruised my hand some how. Everyone kept asking me if I was OK... And this was only 55lbs of pressure!!
So I guess the lesson here is that you should maybe bounce the tire a few times before you put it up to your face. I could have easily gotten slime in my eyes. YUCK!!

I'll probably get a knock on the door later today from Homeland Security. ;)

:stupid:

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Ahaha, i did the same thing in my basement when my michelin blew out (while using stans).
Nevertheless my mom came running downstairs to see what happened, that stans stuff i hard to clean up (super sticky)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
RFTM

Mavic 823 Specs said:
Tire dimensions and maximum inflation pressure

TIRE SIZE MAXIMUM PRESSURE
inches bars psi

2.1 3.70 55.00

2.2 3.50 52.00

2.3 3.30 49.00

2.4 3.20 47.00

2.5 3.00 44.00

2.6 2.80 41.00

2.7 2.70 39.00

2.8 2.50 36.00

2.9 2.40 34.00

3.0 2.20 32.00
If you are seating the bead, I would do it by hand with larger tires at lower pressures

J

JRB

I did it on a Rigida rim too. I nearly broke my thumb and got cut to hell. I got covered with stan's. It was all over the garage. Sucked.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
syadasti said:
RFTM

If you are seating the bead, I would do it by hand with larger tires at lower pressures

It was only a 2.3, so I was still fairly close to the reccomended Max perssure... And I wasn't even riding on it, so there was no pressure increase from my weight.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
crazy stuff man. Couple of months ago, something similar happened to me. I was at work inflating a 700c clincher wheel after replacing the tube. Got it to around 80psi when it decided to explode. I couldn't hear for several minutes afterwards. The best part? There was a cop standing near me looking at stuff, and when it blew, he had his gun halfway out, ready to go!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I think I'll stick to tubes. I don't want "the man" coming after me for blowing things up.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
riderx said:
I think the lesson is to use tubed tires!
unfortunately i did it with a tube tire.. i am in my house, filling my tire after just changing it and talking on the phone not paying attention to what i am doing.
BOOM!!!! scares the sheet outta me and my wife winds up dropping a glass pitcher on the floor....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
-BB- said:
I'll probably get a knock on the door later today from Homeland Security. ;)
Nah, I'd give them six days.

MBC had a road tire blow up on her Monday morning around 9:00. The neighbors must have thought we were shooting a gun.
:dancing:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
hooples3 said:
unfortunately i did it with a tube tire.. i am in my house, filling my tire after just changing it and talking on the phone not paying attention to what i am doing.
BOOM!!!! scares the sheet outta me and my wife winds up dropping a glass pitcher on the floor....
Yeah, but you weren't covered in goop...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
had that done multiple times. worst was 2 months ago on my street bike at jiffy lube in front of 4 hot ass girls. was filling up the 4runners tires and noticed the rear 2.4 holy roller was low so i pumped it up. i run it tubeless on an 823 with stans and run really really really high pressure. anyways tire blew off the rim, almost broke my hand (so bruised i coulnt use it for a week) stans all over car, bike, me and hot girls, and i couldnt hear for about 2 minutes out of my left ear. bad times.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
-BB- said:
And this was only 55lbs of pressure!!
That's 55lbs per square inch. There's a lot of square inches inside a tire.

I figure about 33,000 lbs total in the inner surface area of the tire.

Mike

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
All of this is very timely informations since I'm building my new rear wheel (well new to me...) with that 823 I got from wheelieholz.

Maybe I'll keep tubes in there after all...

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
after a race last fall everyone was sitting around waiting on the award ceremony, and I had changed my flat before my last run, so I went to the top, did my run, laid my bike down and after about 30 minutes........BOOM!! Sounded like a damn shotgun, everyone standing around jumped, it looked like a mosh pit or something

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
dexter said:
had that done multiple times. worst was 2 months ago on my street bike at jiffy lube in front of 4 hot ass girls. was filling up the 4runners tires and noticed the rear 2.4 holy roller was low so i pumped it up. i run it tubeless on an 823 with stans and run really really really high pressure. anyways tire blew off the rim, almost broke my hand (so bruised i coulnt use it for a week) stans all over car, bike, me and hot girls, and i couldnt hear for about 2 minutes out of my left ear. bad times.
That's the best! :thumb:

ottomatik

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
yucaipa CA
ha ha back in the day i was at my lbs and one of the guys was at the counter airing up some guys tire. the thing blew up blowing green slime all over the bike mechanic and ceiling...memories :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
One time, I was pumping my tire up after replacing the tube. It seemed like I pumped more than was in there. So I bounced it on the ground. All of a sudden, the tube came out under the sidewall and it kept getting bigger, then it blew up and slime was everywhere.