Quantcast

Homemade energy gel recipe....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mantispf2000, Nov 15, 2005.

1. mantispf2000

mantispf2000 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    25 / 148
    Hey All--

Well, just got back from a great ride (though it was cold), and realized I'm almost out of my gel supply. I remember reading in a cycling mag some time ago about some homemade gel recipes, and was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out with where to find it. I'm just wanting to try something different, and would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks for your time.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. amydalayna

amydalayna Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    i dig just the individual packs of honey. i collect them during the winter at the ski resorts. they are free and tasty.

3. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Does energy gel actually do anything for you? I always thought they were pretty gross

4. RhinofromWA

RhinofromWA Brevity R Us

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Liquified sugar....it will give you a sugar high (energy) when you are depleted.

rhino

5. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    437 / 2,774
    Except for race situations I have given up on gels in favor of Bananas and other fruit. Bananas rock, plenty of carbs and electrolytes. The packaging is also very biodegradable.

If you are still interested in homemade gels I think the main ingredient in most of them is brown rice syrup or maltodextrin.

6. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 92
    I use energy gels on just about every ride that is longer than an hour and a half or so. They really help keep my sugar level fairly even between eating something more substantial. I usually use Gu but the caffeinated ClifShots are good too, especially near the end of longer rides. I don't always digest heavier stuff that well so gels are great for keeping energy and alertness.

7. ncrider

ncrider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I've never been able to eat a gel pack. They make me gag.

8. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    Fresh fruit and trail mix gets me through anything, but gels can't be to hard to manufacture.

9. blt2ride

blt2ride Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Yep, I would take an apple or an orange over a gel pack. Even before a race, I basically just drink water and eat a banana or an apple...

10. reflux

reflux Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 2
    Spend some time on google or yahoo searching for homemade gels and you'll find enough recipes to keep you busy...easily.

During one mountain season back in undergrad, I helped a friend make a homemade gel when he couldn't afford the retail offerings. While I can't remember the exact recipe, I can tell you that honey was the base (mmm, complex carbs...) and it contained a tablespoon or two of soy protein. My research had shown that there was a proper ratio of carbs to protein...or at least from what I remember. We would store it in a gu flask for the race, but didn't trust it to last for more than a few days.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you come up with.

11. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    I got an idea, Hershey's chocolait syrup, that stuff tasts decent and has more than enough sugar to get you to the finishline, a few times

12. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I like gel, particularily Gu. I like the taste and the first time I took some, I noticed my energy pop back up.

13. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    Hmmm, don't have any recipes or anything. Never really thought of making myself to be honest. I don't really ever eat the stuff unless I get some for free or get some deal on it and buy some. Real food is better, but gels are great for mid-length rides when you know you want a little bit of food. When I have some, I like to use them for something like a road ride of 40+ miles. No camelbak or anything, so a gel is nice to toss in a jersey pocket.

14. mantispf2000

mantispf2000 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    25 / 148
    Hey All--

Thanks for all of your input. I ended up finding a recipe that's honey, molasses, a touch of salt, and some soy protein. Since it's only been a week-ish, it's appears to be working ok.