Quantcast

Homemade energy gel recipe....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Hey All--

Well, just got back from a great ride (though it was cold), and realized I'm almost out of my gel supply. I remember reading in a cycling mag some time ago about some homemade gel recipes, and was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out with where to find it. I'm just wanting to try something different, and would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks for your time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Except for race situations I have given up on gels in favor of Bananas and other fruit. Bananas rock, plenty of carbs and electrolytes. The packaging is also very biodegradable.

If you are still interested in homemade gels I think the main ingredient in most of them is brown rice syrup or maltodextrin.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I use energy gels on just about every ride that is longer than an hour and a half or so. They really help keep my sugar level fairly even between eating something more substantial. I usually use Gu but the caffeinated ClifShots are good too, especially near the end of longer rides. I don't always digest heavier stuff that well so gels are great for keeping energy and alertness.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
maxyedor said:
Fresh fruit and trail mix gets me through anything, but gels can't be to hard to manufacture.
Yep, I would take an apple or an orange over a gel pack. Even before a race, I basically just drink water and eat a banana or an apple...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Spend some time on google or yahoo searching for homemade gels and you'll find enough recipes to keep you busy...easily.

During one mountain season back in undergrad, I helped a friend make a homemade gel when he couldn't afford the retail offerings. While I can't remember the exact recipe, I can tell you that honey was the base (mmm, complex carbs...) and it contained a tablespoon or two of soy protein. My research had shown that there was a proper ratio of carbs to protein...or at least from what I remember. We would store it in a gu flask for the race, but didn't trust it to last for more than a few days.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you come up with.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like gel, particularily Gu. I like the taste and the first time I took some, I noticed my energy pop back up.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm, don't have any recipes or anything. Never really thought of making myself to be honest. I don't really ever eat the stuff unless I get some for free or get some deal on it and buy some. Real food is better, but gels are great for mid-length rides when you know you want a little bit of food. When I have some, I like to use them for something like a road ride of 40+ miles. No camelbak or anything, so a gel is nice to toss in a jersey pocket.