Quantcast

Homewide LED conversion

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not quite as cool as most of the stuff being posted, but I'm in need of some help here. New house... I've spent the last few days swapping the entire house over to LED.

There are a few rooms where I get minor flickering, the kind that makes you double take whether you actually saw it. In my kitchen, I replaced seven 65w floods with 9.5w (65w equivalent) floods. Since then I am getting substantial, lights out level flickering. It will happen sporadically, every 20-30min, but 4-5 times within 2-3min.

When this happens, there are no electrical boosts or draws in the house that I can identify (appliance related).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not quite as cool as most of the stuff being posted, but I'm in need of some help here. New house... I've spent the last few days swapping the entire house over to LED.

There are a few rooms where I get minor flickering, the kind that makes you double take whether you actually saw it. In my kitchen, I replaced seven 65w floods with 9.5w (65w equivalent) floods. Since then I am getting substantial, lights out level flickering. It will happen sporadically, every 20-30min, but 4-5 times within 2-3min.

When this happens, there are no electrical boosts or draws in the house that I can identify (appliance related).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is there an inductive load in the house with a low power factor that could be inducing phase shifting that has an impact on current dependent devices such as LEDs?

I have no idea what I am talking about and just threw in some jargon I am familiar with. However I would see if there is a sump pump, air recirculating fan, radon vent fan, etc that could be coming on. Some LED systems have a dynamic constant current controller that might not be handling transient voltage spikes very well.

I would also check to make sure the new house was not built on a pet or Indian cemetery.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Dimmers involved? LED specific dimmers are necessary.
Indeed. They are on dimmers. I have non-led specific dimmers causing issues for two fixtures, but those have a hot line that won't fully turn off.
I'll pick up another switch this weekend.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Did you install complete LED units or just LED bulbs into existing light units?

I trialed an LED bulb only in one existing light and had that issue, but then I replaced every last complete light unit with recessed LED units and not a problem since.

Last edited: