Quantcast

Honda Ridgeline?

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I've always been a two car guy, a GT type car and a daily driver/bike carrier. My GT car: :drool:, my daily driver: Brown station wagon. Over the past year or two, I've barely driven the GT car so I've decided to sell it. I've also decided to ditch the brown wagon because it's just not enough fun to have as my only car.

I've decided on either a four-door pick-up or a sport-ute. The vehicles leading the list are:

Tacoma Double Cab
Nissan Xterra
Honda Ridgeline

All are '05s. This will be my first new car after having purchased ~12 used cars in my driving career. I want to spend 30k give or take 2k.

The Ridgeline has the best features: unibody construction, independant suspension (I'll likely never do serious off-roading with it, 4-wheel discs, airbags galore, etc.) As for the asthetics of the ridgeline: Somebody in the automotive press said it could replace the pontiac aztek as the ugliest vehicle on the road. I've heard other people label it as super-ugly as well.

What's everyone's opinion?

More pics at honda.com

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
I hate to add a truck to your list but i have been very happy with my 4x4 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed (4 door and 6'+ bed) for 2005 they have added a 4.0 6cyl. Other than that the Tacoma has more than proven itself as a reliable truck over the years.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Supremely ugly. About as ugly as it gets.

The new Tacoma: :drool:

Body styling isn't as clean as it used to be but everything else about it is improved. I think it's downright homely if you get the chrome kit, but the body colored trim is a vast improvement.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Incubus said:
As for the asthetics of the ridgeline: Somebody in the automotive press said it could replace the pontiac aztek as the ugliest vehicle on the road. I've heard other people label it as super-ugly as well.

I think FUGLY is the word you are looking for....

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I'd go with the Tacoma. The 05's are cool, but you might be able to score big on an 04. Those are nice as well, and have a ton of after market parts for it. I've never been a nissan guy. Their interiors have never been up to par with the other Japan manufacturers. The Ridgeline is really ugly as the guys have mentioned. It reminds me too much of an Ass-a-lanche. It looks like you'll need a ladder to get things out of the bed. I don't under stand the theory behind making the truck bed so hard to get to. Now it will probably be really reliable, but so is a toyota echo. It doesn't mean I want one. Good Luck.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm biased, but I don't know why you'd consider anything but the Tacoma. Toyota has a long history of proven, reliable trucks. I like the Xterras too, but with all due respect, it's not a Toyota. Honda obviously makes good cars, but I wouldn't rush right out and buy one of their trucks... especially a brand new model - let them work the bugs out first.

IMO, the Tacoma is head and shoulders over the rest. The Xterra is still a good choice, but in Toyota vs Nissan, I think Toyota is the clear winner. As for the Honda, well...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
This whole Toyota vs. Nissan thing........ They are both nice. If you are going to do some serious offroading and lots of mods, go with the Toyota. if you just want somthing to drive around, and you like the Nissan better, go with it. I found a smokin deal on a Nissan Pathfinder a few months ago, and I love it!

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I was sold on the tacoma until I started to dig deeper into each of their specs. The tacoma is no doubt better looking. And I know they're reliable. Then again, so is anything Honda. The honda just has WAY more standard features.

Booker, I have considered the frontier. It's similar to the tacoma in almost every way. I just like the styling of the tacoma better, thus elimating the Nissan from my list. Good suggestion though.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
To be honest, the Ridgeline's looks have grown on me from when I first saw it. From what I've seen of the Honda, most everything about it has a purpose; the tailgate to improve rear vision, the "trunk" to store the spare, etc. While it may not the most beautiful, it's still a hellofalot better than others out there (avalance, buick, isuzu, I can go on).

Check out autoweek.com's forum for a few Honda threads if you're interested.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
golgiaparatus said:
How is that uglier than the Aztek? I'd put that truck above the Avalanche even.
I didn't say it. It was published in Automobile. I think it's decent looking except for the way the cab transititions into the bed. But that's likely because it's different than what I'm used to.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Incubus said:
I was sold on the tacoma until I started to dig deeper into each of their specs. The tacoma is no doubt better looking. And I know they're reliable. Then again, so is anything Honda. The honda just has WAY more standard features.

Booker, I have considered the frontier. It's similar to the tacoma in almost every way. I just like the styling of the tacoma better, thus elimating the Nissan from my list. Good suggestion though.
I'm not familiar with the ridgeline, so for all I know, it may be a better buy. But don't compare standard features, compare what you get for $32k (or whatever pricepoint you want to compare from).

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Tacoma.
Proven reliable track record for TRUCKS. Honda has no experience in this area and its a first year effort for them. While I have no doubt they can make a nice one, I'd like them to prove it first.

As far as the Nissans' go ask MikeD about the smoking hole Frontier transmissions put in his wallet.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
honda started out making motorcycles. they figured out cars pretty well, so i have no doubt they can make a good "truck" (car-truck?) as well. also, please note that the current frontier/xterra/pathfinder are all on the new titan platform. the old xterra was on the (old) frontier chassis, and that setup didn't work all too well.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
That ridgeline is the ugliest vehicle I have EVER seen.

I'm looking at getting a Ram 3500 Diesel. Do I need that much truck? No. I live in South East DC. I won't be towing anything, and I won't be using it for work. But I want it. I want it bad.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Zark said:
Tacoma.
Proven reliable track record for TRUCKS. Honda has no experience in this area and its a first year effort for them. While I have no doubt they can make a nice one, I'd like them to prove it first.
The best description I've heard so far of the Ridgeline is that it's an SUV that just happens to have a truck-like bed. Honda seems to have done pretty well with the Pilot and MDX so far.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
No matter what truck you buy (I'd vote for Tacoma if you're buying a compact/mid), get the Long bed. Those 5' beds found on the mini-crews are useless.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
dan-o said:
No matter what truck you buy (I'd vote for Tacoma if you're buying a compact/mid), get the Long bed. Those 5' beds found on the mini-crews are useless.
Not useless. I've had my 03 Tacoma double cab for 2 years now and have never been SOL because the bed was 5' instead of 6'. I agree that another foot would be nice (i.e. not have to remove front wheel of bike when transporting) but to say its useless is wrong.

For '05, the Tacoma double cab 4x4 is 6'. The Prerunner model still has the 5' bed.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/tacoma/specs_double_cab.html

Oh yeah. My vote goes to the Tacoma

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Having been in the Auto industry for quite some time I will just say this. Wait until you actually see the vehicle in person before you pass judgment.

And if you want to pre-order one, let me know :thumb:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I saw and sat in a ridgeline at the Chicago auto show. And I thought it was a pretty nice Truck-U-V. I think it is based on the Pilot so the "first model year" problems don't really apply to the powertrain and such.

As far as the looks go, yeah the toyota looks better but it is a pick up truck. The Honda is more like a SUV.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
All I know is that ridgeline has 4.56 gears (which is a excellent gear ratio) and it's accord motor. So you have 260 or so HP, probably 200 ft lbs or so of torque, and 4.56 gears. That's with stock tire sizing so I doubt there's any "power" questions from that truck. Hell my 91 chevy with a 350 has 3.73 and 33's, where 4.56 & 35's would sit right. That truck will smoke tires and haul things fairly well.

I've only ridden and drove 1 Toyota Tacoma and I thought it was ok. I have 2 buddies who have TRD superchargers on their Tacoma trucks. Makes a huge difference :)

I agree though, Toyota trucks are pretty solid. Even their 4 banger Tacoma's are pretty sweet. Plus the Honda is like $30k? something high up there. That's alot for a v6 truck.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Ridgeline looks like ass. Most of the featurs you listed I don't want anywhere near my truck. IRS? Unibody, Airbags you pussy? I'm happy with my Chevy Colorado Z71.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
gschuette said:
Ridgeline looks like ass. Most of the featurs you listed I don't want anywhere near my truck. IRS? Unibody, Airbags you pussy? I'm happy with my Chevy Colorado Z71.
I'd be sorry to say that your Colorado has airbags. And instead of IRS, your's has IFS.......so not really a giant difference there. The unibody thing is something they'll have to work out.........atleast you can't bodylift it :D

That's the last thing I want to see is lifted Honda pickup's out there but it will happen.....someday.....someday

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
SkaredShtles said:
Reality check:

Do people *really* pay $30k+ for a fuggin' *pickup* truck??!? :confused: :think:

Please tell me you're kidding..........

-S.S.-
Heh heh. . . $30k is for an entry-level truck around here (you knew someone from TX would respond, didn't you?).

Incubus: If you're not gonna do any serious 'froading, the Honda should be fine. Yah, it's ugly. No, it doesn't have a lo-range or huge articulation. No it doesn't have a big tough frame. Whatever. It appears to be well suited for bike-hauling and general mischief.

But if you get into any kinda rocks or mud, you'll start wishing you had that Taco quick.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
SkaredShtles said:
Reality check:

Do people *really* pay $30k+ for a fuggin' *pickup* truck??!? :confused: :think:

Please tell me you're kidding..........

-S.S.-
as a bona-fide new mexican and not quite texan-in-law, i will certify a yes. people will spend a rediculous amount on a truck. a few even bought these: http://motortrend.com/roadtests/pickup/112_0107blackwood/

ps. i was looking at the tacoma and the short bed put me off. i wish they had a short/long option like the frontier...

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Spunger said:
...I agree though, Toyota trucks are pretty solid. Even their 4 banger Tacoma's are pretty sweet. Plus the Honda is like $30k? something high up there. That's alot for a v6 truck.
You'll pay the same amount for a Tacoma v6 double cab in 4X4. Or a nissan for that matter. I believe Dodge is the only player in the game offering a V8 in a mid-size pick-up.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Aztec hands down ugliest vehicle in production hands down. the avalanche not a practical truck from normal heighten people because we cant reach over the side rails to put stuff (like bikes) in the bed.
I like my dodge Dakota 4 door but it just doesn’t seem to be running as good as I believe it should after 3 years (not really running bad just not perfect,) moderate miles, low wear and good upkeep. It’s a bigger truck than the Toyota and Nissan but not super big like the full size trucks.
Some body mentioned the Xtera I think, I like that suv.
But between the Toyota and Nissan trucks I’d get the Toyota.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've always been a 2 car guy too. A fuel efficient daily driver and a bike haulin' road trip vehical. I too was shopping for a CC pickup last year. IMO, if a truck doesn't have a min 5ft bed, it might as well be an SUV with a wet truck. You can't get bikes in there without the gate down which means you have to worry about gear bags falling out. Even if you get a bed extender, your bags are still wet and you can't put a hitch rack on which means your limited to 2 maybe 3 bikes. For this reason alone, I ruled out the Tacoma. I ended up with a F350 CC. In hindsight, I should have gone with the Nissan but I really wanted a diesel.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
pixelninja said:
Well, since you couldn't be bothered to read my previous post, I'll write it again...

For '05, the Tacoma double cab 4x4 is 6'. The Prerunner model still has the 5' bed.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005...double_cab.html
i did read your previous post, snottyman. andi was looking in '04 not '05, and i still wish it were an option. :eviltongu

i guess i didn't make it clear enough that i was responding to your post with the ps, eh. :)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Barbaton said:
i did read your previous post, snottyman. andi was looking in '04 not '05, and i still wish it were an option. :eviltongu

i guess i didn't make it clear enough that i was responding to your post with the ps, eh. :)
damn, I didn't get that winking smile in there quick enough :o:

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Spunger said:
I'd be sorry to say that your Colorado has airbags. And instead of IRS, your's has IFS.......so not really a giant difference there. The unibody thing is something they'll have to work out.........atleast you can't bodylift it :D

That's the last thing I want to see is lifted Honda pickup's out there but it will happen.....someday.....someday

Oh my truck has airbags? Are you sure? I was just messing with him. Airbags are important and I know my truck has them. Unless I buy a Super Duty or a Ram chances are my truck is going to have IFS. I would love for it to be a solid front axle but it's not. I hear you on the body lift thing, they suck.