Quantcast

Honda Ridgeline?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Go with a tacoma. My friends that have em love em. Super reliable and the look killer. As for the ridgeline, umm I'm gonna go ahead and call it a big station wagon with a truckbed, IRS on a "truck" pfft. Unless your IRS system is to gain ground clearance in conjunction with portal axles it does not belong on something being called a truck.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
H8R said:
Anyone have thoughts on the newer Fords? I had an old 80's Ranger that I loved, till I killed it with neglect.

I had a 2000 Ranger and a 2002 Ranger (upgraded to get the 4 liter engine). THey worked out great for me the 2 years I had them.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Curb Hucker said:
As for the ridgeline, umm I'm gonna go ahead and call it a big station wagon with a truckbed, IRS on a "truck" pfft. Unless your IRS system is to gain ground clearance in conjunction with portal axles it does not belong on something being called a truck.
Don't you be dissin Optimus Prime!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Call me ignant, but why the hate for trucks that don't have live rear axles? The ride sucks on the road and rear bounces around like no other when you go offroad. Is the reason just because that's how it's always been and how people think it should always be?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
reflux said:
Call me ignant, but why the hate for trucks that don't have live rear axles? The ride sucks on the road and rear bounces around like no other when you go offroad. Is the reason just because that's how it's always been and how people think it should always be?
Forgot to ask, what's the weight difference in towing when it comes to live vs indy?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
how does that new "mild hybrid" silverado compare? i didn't see it in that list.
the "hybrid" silverado totally isn't a hybrid. it just shuts off the engine when you're stopped.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I can vouch for the Tacoma, my dad has one.

150 k miles in 5 years and the oil comes out clear.

If you get a Toyota be sure to put some black wheels on it with 33's and give it a 3 inch lift. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Curb Hucker said:
As for the ridgeline, umm I'm gonna go ahead and call it a big station wagon with a truckbed
The Ridgeline is what a Subaru Baja would look like if it did a bunch of steroids, worked out a lot, and smeared itself with oil before a competition.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
reflux said:
Forgot to ask, what's the weight difference in towing when it comes to live vs indy?
Depends on the vehicle, but generally speaking, live axles are leaf sprung and generally found on pickups ("work trucks") while independant rears are usually coil sprung and found on more family oriented SUVs. Thus, the leaf sprung pickups can generally haul more (not simply due to the live axle though), but tow about the same (this is generally because they are built on the same platform as their coil sprung brethren.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
buildyourown said:
...You can't get bikes in there without the gate down which means you have to worry about gear bags falling out. Even if you get a bed extender, your bags are still wet and you can't put a hitch rack on which means your limited to 2 maybe 3 bikes...
The ridgeline has a trunk. Supposedly large enough to hold 3 golf bags (they're big).

And it has a drain plug, so you can fill it with ice and cool ones when you don't have gear in there. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I just ordered my new Tacoma yesterday. I was so excited I could not sleep
last night.
Anyway, I have a Honda now. I love Hondas, but that new Ridgeline is a straight up eyesore. It has some unique features, but it is also uniquely ugly.
Plus when it comes down to it, I just do not want a truck that only has a 5 foot bed. I was in the market for an Extended cab midsize truck from the get go, and the Tacoma and the new Frontier pretty much blew everything else away.
I looked at them both extensively, drove them both, and realized I could easily live with either one. I liked the ride and handling of the Tacoma better, but I thought I would get alot better deal through Nissan since their trucks run a little cheaper, and Toyota simply does not have to deal and their trucks still sell. But I was wrong, I walked into a dealership ready to deal.
I bought my Tacoma for $250 above dealer cost, and got the exact truck that I wanted.
Also, if you have to have a double cab truck, Toyota is the only mid-sized truck that offers a double cab long bed, so you still get the 73 inch bed.
It is a super long truck, with alot longer turning radius though.
The new Tacoma actually rides like a car, if you have ever ridden in a Highlander or the newer 4-runners, you will know what I mean. Just test drive one. :)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Please tell me you didn't spend $30k on it......... I need some assurance that the whole world hasn't gone completely mad. :D

-S.S.-
Nope. I got the one I wanted for $22 something.
But its not like I am going to have two vehicles or anything.
If I was going to have a car, and buy a pickup for shuttling or whatever, I would have bought whatever dirt cheap one that I could find.
But this truck had to be a good daily driver which ruled out all full sizes for me, and the tiny parking spaces I have to fit in everyday at work.
The Tacoma was the best truck for me that I could live with day in day out,
and the gas mileage was better than the others I was looking at as well.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Jeremy R said:
Also, if you have to have a double cab truck, Toyota is the only mid-sized truck that offers a double cab long bed, so you still get the 73 inch bed.

Toyota and Nissan both offer a double cab with a long bed (73"). :thumb: (The bed on my CC frontier is 74")

The main factor's that kept me from buying a Tacoma over my Frontier was price and (at the time, it has changed for 05') The taco didn't offer a long bed/crew cab. I purchased my brand new 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed for 21,000. The 4x4 Crew Cab Tacoma was 26,000 and they wouldn't budge off that price. That being said, given the same price and addition of a 73" bed i would have bought the Tacoma mainly because i prefered its styling more.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Booker said:
Toyota and Nissan both offer a double cab with a long bed (73"). :thumb: (The bed on my CC frontier is 74")

The main factor's that kept me from buying a Tacoma over my Frontier was price and (at the time, it has changed for 05') The taco didn't offer a long bed/crew cab. I purchased my brand new 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed for 21,000. The 4x4 Crew Cab Tacoma was 26,000 and they wouldn't budge off that price. That being said, given the same price and addition of a 73" bed i would have bought the Tacoma mainly because i prefered its styling more.
Yep, you are right abour the 04 Frontier, but the new 05 does not have a long bed option. The new doublecab Frontier actually has a bed length of less than 5 feet. :confused:
My buddy had the same experiece that you did last year when looking at these trucks, so I honestly thought I was gonna end up in the Nissan based on price alone, but the Tacoma was actually cheaper. Strange deal, but I'll take it. :D That new Frontier is a blast to drive though, I would have taken either one.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jorvik said:
That ridgeline is the ugliest vehicle I have EVER seen.

I'm looking at getting a Ram 3500 Diesel. Do I need that much truck? No. I live in South East DC. I won't be towing anything, and I won't be using it for work. But I want it. I want it bad.
sounds like the unhinged rantings of a man w/ a partially tattooed penis.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Jeremy R said:
Yep, you are right abour the 04 Frontier, but the new 05 does not have a long bed option.
Holy ****. You are right. :dead: Thats pretty f'in stupid. I was thinking about going to the local nissan dealer and seeing what they would do to get me in an 05'. I would like to have the 4.0 engine, Locking rear dif, NISMO offroad package ect. But the short bed kills the deal. I guess i will do the smart thing and hang onto the one i got :) I wonder how much an ARB air locker is.............

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Jorvik said:
That ridgeline is the ugliest vehicle I have EVER seen.

I'm looking at getting a Ram 3500 Diesel. Do I need that much truck? No. I live in South East DC. I won't be towing anything, and I won't be using it for work. But I want it. I want it bad.
I looked that one up, over $55k with all the options.

WTF do you need a dually for? How heavy is you mountain bike?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. You better not be talking about the Dodge.......... WTF??!? :mumble:

Stupidity is *rampant* around me. :mumble:

I think I'm going to need to become a hermit.

-S.S.-
Yes, the 3500 Cummins Diesel Dually w/ all the trimmings is over $55k list.

And unless you are towing a small house, it's too much vee-hickle.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Chevy Trucks are the only way to go in terms of reliablity on the job. We've got one of those new cummins 3500s at work and its been in the shop more than our 3500hd silverado thats 3 year old.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
does it have to be a pick up? get one of these instead

supercharged, 5 speed 2000 4runner. with a few mods iv done it will **** on a wrx and once the water injection kit goes on it will be bangin. also has black 22's on it with running boards currently.

the taco gets my vote out of those. the nissans have a horrible track record, the honda is but fugly and i bet it has a civic frame or something along those lines.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
dexter said:

supercharged, 5 speed 2000 4runner. with a few mods iv done it will **** on a wrx and once the water injection kit goes on it will be bangin. also has black 22's on it with running boards currently.
and all that for 4 MPG! :D

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
actually im getting 18-20 on the highway without the 22's. probably around 15 with them but the look outweights the cost.

anyways the pics didnt load
http://community.webshots.com/user/dexterl04

http://community.webshots.com/photo/234869268/234874590vKWYsJ 2 of my babies

http://community.webshots.com/photo/234869268/234875304uUFrDz fav shot

http://community.webshots.com/photo/234869268/234875074kbixmh guy down the blocks tacoma that is sick as hell (never seen it dirty tho)

and finally 2 of my old 4runner before it got the exhaust treatment
http://community.webshots.com/photo/89946025/89946292zkjMLt
http://community.webshots.com/photo/89946025/89946303WaTDtZ

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
yeah tacos. 4.0 v6 245 horses, double cab prerunner with a 6' bed. tow package. 18-22 mpg. 4500 miles so far. paid 25,600 parking brake failed and had some water coming in from the floor panels. Dealer fixed all and its all good. Drove a 04 Tundra while they made the repairs and would take my taco any day over the tundra. You will have issues with any new or redesigned vehicle. Thats just life.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
dexter said:

the taco gets my vote out of those. the nissans have a horrible track record, the honda is but fugly and i bet it has a civic frame or something along those lines.
Civic's don't have frames dude. Here are some of the specs on the Ridgeline

* Four-Door Cab Design with spacious 5-passenger seating and re-configurable second row seating for people and/or cargo
* 5-foot Steel Reinforced Composite (SRC) bed with six integrated heavy duty-tie down cleats and 1100-pound (1/2-ton) bed payload capacity, with minimal wheel well intrusion and dual action tailgate
* Secure, lockable In-Bed Trunk
* 255-horsepower, 3.5-liter SOHC VTEC V-6 engine with 252 lb.-ft. of torque
* EPA fuel economy ratings of 16/21 for city/highway driving with a 22-gallon fuel tank and a maximum driving range of 462 miles
* Integrated closed-box frame with unibody construction offers up to 20 times the torsional rigidity of traditional body-on-frame truck designs
* Best-in-class 1,550-pound total vehicle payload capacity
* Independent front and rear suspension for improved ride and handling
* True 5,000 lb. towing capability with standard transmission and steering coolers with trailer pre-wiring factory installed
* Advanced VTM-4 four-wheel-drive with lock mode and medium duty off-road capability

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I'm not trying to sell you one, just trying to offer a little info. You've got to admit, this is pretty impressive.

Integrated closed-box frame with unibody construction offers up to 20 times the torsional rigidity of traditional body-on-frame truck designs

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
gschuette said:
Why don't you guys prove to him that your truck can carry his bikes?

It's a truck, USE IT!
I owned a s-10. Damn near replaced every moving part on it, and some were replaced more than once. Finally got rid of that crapper at 175k. I will never own a GMC product again.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
gschuette said:
Why don't you guys prove to him that your truck can carry his bikes?

It's a truck, USE IT!
Man i wish i had a picture of our last trip to Windrock........... 4x4 Frontier totally covered in mud (i was wheeling the truck between shuttling duty), 6 DH bikes, 7 Guys (5 in the cab and 2 in the bed with bikes) shuttleing up a jeep trail. :cool: But pretty much any truck with a 6'+ bed can haul all the bikes and gear you need. The kicker is cab size. A crew cab truck can comfortable hold 4 adults on long road trips, I have squeezed 5 people in there but i had some complants after 5 hours. I do have to say, the pic's of the 2005 Tacoma on the last page are pretty hot. The interior is definatly a step up from that in my 2003 Frontier.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Arg... We have beat this to death on some of the toyota 4wd forums... Unibody, full indpendant suspsension, front wheel drive.... And it looks WAAAAAAAAAY to close to an avalanche. I mean come on Honda...

The new Tacos are sick. Or the new Power Wagons.

Andrew