Quantcast

Honda Ridgeline?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ridgelins are built on the Pilot platform, which is built on the Odyssey platform...it's built on a car chassis. It might work for hauling bikes, but I wouldn't take it offroad or beat it like a truck.

I'm hoping I can find a first gen 4Runner (topless, bitches!) for bikes and winter driving, and then get a Ninja 12xr as the play..."vehicle"...

The 1988 2 door Honda Accord just isn't cutting it at this point :p

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
narlus said:
arduously back on topic, the globe's got a writeup of the Ridgeline.

http://www.boston.com/cars/articles/2005/02/26/hondas_on_a_roll_with_unibody_truck

Hmm, if that article's right, something I didn't realize is that they're putting the unibody on a ladder truck frame, not a car platform. That seems to suggest that you guys who have been having the truck/yuppy pissing contest are all right, and maybe the truck has the advantages of both a ladder frame truck design and the stiffness of unibody construction...

so far as styling, i agree that it looks a lot like the assalanche, which i hate, but i've realized that what i hate about the assalanche are the cheapo colored plastic panels they use all over it ala aztek. i think the ridgeline looks pretty good comparatively...

my 2c

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Barbaton said:
Hmm, if that article's right, something I didn't realize is that they're putting the unibody on a ladder truck frame, not a car platform. That seems to suggest that you guys who have been having the truck/yuppy pissing contest are all right, and maybe the truck has the advantages of both a ladder frame truck design and the stiffness of unibody construction...
The article slightly misrepresents the construction. Here's an explanation:

http://trucks.about.com/od/2006truckintrosspecs/ss/honda_ridgeline_4.htm

The boxed frame is integrated INTO the unibody. So rigidity is built in. I can't knock the design for street prowess or gettin' down on rough roads.

However, a rough-n-ready offroad platform it is not. I imagine that same integrated-frame rigidity will be rather unforgiving if you bottom out hard, kiss a big rock w/one of the rocker panels, or worse, get high-centered on something. One nice thing about a box-on-frame design is the ability to keep the bodywork away from the rough stuff when needed. Another is the ability to repair damaged frame and/or body pieces separately.

I think the Ridgeline will do well in its intended arena, and I think that arena is the street, and sometimes the mild trail.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
blue said:
Ridgelins are built on the Pilot platform, which is built on the Odyssey platform...it's built on a car chassis. It might work for hauling bikes, but I wouldn't take it offroad or beat it like a truck.

I'm hoping I can find a first gen 4Runner (topless, bitches!) for bikes and winter driving, and then get a Ninja 12xr as the play..."vehicle"...

The 1988 2 door Honda Accord just isn't cutting it at this point :p

I'm going to have to correct you here. This is a direct quote from Honda:

It's not based on a car platform; and it's not just a Pilot with a bed. The Ridgeline is built on a new type of truck platform with a 93-percent exclusive frame.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BSEVEER said:
I'm going to have to correct you here. This is a direct quote from Honda:

It's not based on a car platform; and it's not just a Pilot with a bed. The Ridgeline is built on a new type of truck platform with a 93-percent exclusive frame.
So it seems...perhaps there is hope for Honda after all... :thumb: